Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 PM

Default Clinch River today

Ok, so I pulled up to Millers area about an hour before the discharge was supposed to start. I figured I had a good hour and a half to two hours.

I started in the shallow fast water since I'm not the best caster yet. I was using a BHPT about a foot behind an indicator. Then somebody waded across and set up right in the area I was working my way towards, so I decided to move downstream.

As I was walking on the bank right where the water gets deeper, I saw a HUGE rainbow come out of the water. The guy that was fishing that area had hooked him but I guess it came off. He looked over, I think to make sure I had seen what happened. I assured him that I did.

Then he told me that he was done and to take his spot. Every time I have been to the Clinch there are always at least two people right there, so I figured it must be good. He very graciously gave me a couple of sulphurs to use.

A few casts in, and I hook into this. Just look at that color!

He was almost the length of my arm from fingertip to elbow, which I immediately measured when I got home to be 15-16 inches.

Over the next 20 minutes, I hooked a couple of browns, this being one of them

The fish were rising everywhere, at least one splash every second. A more experienced fly fisherman could have caught one on every cast I bet. I was trying my best to watch my drift but was still getting some drag. I didn't want to leave, but it was 1:45 and the sirens had gone off at 1.

I don't know if he is a board member, but regardless, thanks for the spot!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM

Always good to run into someone nice on the river and that is a gorgeous rainbow.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:12 PM

Nice pic of the bow and my hats off to the guy that shared the hole and the flies with you!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtyman View Post
Nice pic of the bow and my hats off to the guy that shared the hole and the flies with you!
I definitely know why there are always so many people around that area. You could actually SEE the trout approaching and where they were lying. I must have been able to see a hundred just in the 20-30 feet around me.

I was getting the strikes by casting downstream and, before the line hit the water, wiggling the rod to create a lot of slack. The is the only way I could figure out not to get a lot of drag. Are there any other techniques I need to be using?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:45 PM

William;

"check" your cast; essentially you abruptly stop your line just above the target area and you will end up with "wiggles" of line on the water.

You might also try "reach casting". Casting across and above you sweep your rod tip up-river just before the line lands on the water.... it buys you more time for a drag free drift whether fishing dry or under an indicator.

I don't really fish down river at all.... the fish are looking at you.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Agreed! Great picture buddy...It was kind of the mind to rotate the hole. I have to remind myself of this at times when fellas are lined up.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Techniques? Yeah, maybe try tungsten beadheads so you can get the fly down quickly. I'm no casting instructor, but I would lookup a few on youtube or rent some videos from your local flyshop. Tuck cast, reach cast and a curve cast should occupy you the next time out.

Let us know how it goes. If I lived closer, I would hook up with you for a day of fishing.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I was getting the strikes by casting downstream and, before the line hit the water, wiggling the rod to create a lot of slack. The is the only way I could figure out not to get a lot of drag. Are there any other techniques I need to be using?
Nice bow!

On tailwaters like the clinch and south holston I fish across and down more often than not. I find that I spook too many quality fish when casting upstream and I can get away with a 12' leader more easily.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 05-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Techniques? Yeah, maybe try tungsten beadheads so you can get the fly down quickly. I'm no casting instructor, but I would lookup a few on youtube or rent some videos from your local flyshop. Tuck cast, reach cast and a curve cast should occupy you the next time out.

Let us know how it goes. If I lived closer, I would hook up with you for a day of fishing.
I took your advice and looked at these casts. Really, they aren't too far off from what I was fumbling around doing. Now I have a much better idea.