Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Default 05/11 Fishin' in the Park

Decided to visit another small stream in the park on Friday (because that beats work any day)

I got out on the trail at about 11:30 and after hiking for about an hour, I reached my destination

Even though it was around noon, the dense trees and surround ridge lines made some areas quite dark

The terrain is quite rough and using the stream as my trail for the most part, however in one area where the bank was open enough to walk, I nearly stepped on this guy:

Some of this stream is covered with lots of blow downs and fallen trees:

And the further up I went, the more of a gorge the stream became, and the banks were high above the stream on both sides:

The stream was mixture of large and small plunge pools, segmented by various sized cascades and waterfalls:

And the fishing wasn't too bad either, mainly smaller rainbows caught between 3-6":

But by the end of the day, I had a full creel, 3- 7 inchers, 1- 9 incher, and 1- 10 incher:

Which I stuffed with chopped garlic, green onion (wish I had some ramps) a sprig of thyme and wrapped in bacon and grilled *(sorry no pic)*

But here are some fish guts:

There wasn't anything particularly peculiar, noteworthy, or strange in their stomachs...

Can't wait to go back!
Old 05-15-2012, 01:00 PM

Nice catches Nathan. I pulled a Louisiana license plate out of the stomach of one I caught last week. Just as I thought he had swam up following the gulf stream.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 05-15-2012, 04:50 PM

Very cool report. Nice looking stream, I don't recognize it, but that's the kind of water I like to fish.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 PM

Default Great post

Seems like you like the small rainbow streams

Only thing I could ask for in the future would be for you to squeeze out some more bugs for the gut shot

Thanks for sharing. For the first weekend in a long time I didn't get to fish. It helps to do some virtual fishing.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:27 PM

How do u keep the fishies from spoiling while u fish? Do you just clean them as you catch them? Do u kill the fish before u take the guts out or does that in and of itself do the trick?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Seems like you like the small rainbow streams
Or any small streams with no one else around. Ready to hit up the brookie streams here again later this summer... Let me know if you're ever up for another off trail adventure
Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
How do u keep the fishies from spoiling while u fish? Do you just clean them as you catch them? Do u kill the fish before u take the guts out or does that in and of itself do the trick?

I think everyone does it differently. Some clean them right away, I usually whack em on the head and then keep them in a ziplock until I am finished fishing, then clean them all at once. I fill the ziplock with cold water every so often to rinse and cool them, it seems to work fine to keep them fresh.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Or any small streams with no one else around. Ready to hit up the brookie streams here again later this summer... Let me know if you're ever up for another off trail adventure
I'm game for a day trip, or another backcountry adventure. I can get away most weekends, and also on Wednesdays

Tell Jay B we need another overnight report from him with the kids.

And this reminded my to harass Kirk about your Nalgene bottle
Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I'm game for a day trip, or another backcountry adventure. I can get away most weekends, and also on Wednesdays

Tell Jay B we need another overnight report from him with the kids.

And this reminded my to harass Kirk about your Nalgene bottle

That would be awesome if he still has it! I can totally miss out on a wednesday of work sometime over the summer. My weekends are full for the next few weeks (pretty much through mid-July right now) anyway often me going fishing all day on a weekday goes over better with the wife, since it doesn't eat up any weekend time...
Old 05-18-2012, 12:03 PM

Realy nice report and photos. Thanks for sharing.