Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Default 1/2 Day Canoe Float Recommendation?

I'd like to take my young son out for a smallie float trip on the canoe. At his age he does more watching and daydreaming than fishing, but it's great to be outdoors together. We usually hit the lakes and just fish for panfish, but after reading all these threads I thought we might try the Little River, Holston, or French Broad for smallies. I've fished the Little River and the Holston for trout for years, but never for smallmouth. Never been on the French Broad. Can anyone give me recommendations on public-access put-ins and take-outs on any of those rivers that would give about a four-hour trip? That's all he can handle. My wife will be with us as well so we'll have two cars. I also have a small trolling motor if we need to fire it up through long stretches of slack water. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 AM

Hi Flydoc,

You could launch above Perry's Mill on Little River, paddle upstream and fish that pool. You could also contact River John's and arrange for a float with him. He has a nice canoe livery service on the lower Little River. You could also float from Kinzel Springs to the picnic area on highway 321 or to Perry's Mill. Part of that stretch can be rough if the water is high. Coulter's Bridge down to River John's might be perfect. I think I would contact him. He is an expert on the river and well worth the money for the shuttle or to use one of his canoes. There are a lot of possibilities.

Byron
Old 05-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Thanks Byron. I'll give River John a call.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:41 AM

I agree on Coulter's bridge to Little Johns. That's a nice float and appropriate distance. Access on the Holston and FB is very limited and I believe would require a full day float to get between takeout. Of course you could put in somewhere, paddle up and float back. I'm not much help on access for those rivers though. The Little Pigeon also offers some good float options as well.