Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-23-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Maine

I haven't posted here in a while, but I still stalk the site and love reading the reports. I've moved from Asheville to outside of Boston, and I'm trying to fish as much as possible.

Just came back from a weekend in Maine and had a great time. Caught a couple of small salmon, lots of brookies, and lots of fun. No big ones, but we did stumble upon a secluded beaver pond, and it was a nice end to the weekend.

It's a huge report with some pics, so here's the whole thing:
http://bit.ly/JJDeXw

Hope to be back in the smokies soon and will always love this forum!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 PM

It's the unexpected that always makes the trip........thanks for posting.........
Old 06-03-2012, 05:16 PM

TeddyP

Wicked Awesome! (A Maine thing to say)

I moved to Sevierville 2 years ago FROM MAINE!

Looks like your photos are from the RANGELEY AREA; not a place I fished very often.... perhaps a hundred times or so over 25 years. Mostly I fished the Kennebec River, the upper Penobscot West Branch, the Roach river in Kakajo and the ponds of the Moosehead Region.

The East Outlet of Moosehead and below the BRASSAU (pronounced brass-way) dam are great for landlocks and brookies.

In Early July Maine Brookie ponds have huge hatches of giant mayflies... HEX. You will want to be there for this hatch.

The good thing about Maine is access to rivers; there is none of the "private property" crap like there is in TN... just fish! A law from 250 years ago makes access no problem.... . it's the right of the people to access water to fish through private property and the large paper companies who own so much land leave it open to the public.

A WORD OF WARNING BROTHER.... BE CAREFUL ON THOSE LOGGING ROADS... BIG TRUCKS ON WEEK DAYS AND ALSO WATCH OUT FOR DOWNED CHAINS AND CABLES! I have been stranded behind cables and chains so bring bolt cutters... essentially you may find that on a friday you enter a timber operation and go fishing.... on the way out they have chained you in for the weekend. This happened to me in 1984 when I first moved to Maine and it was in the Rangeley area.

If you want any intel on fishing (meaning fly) in Maine let me know.

NOW; since you are in Boston.... I would hope you are getting into some fly fishing for striped bass. If you don't get into them you are missing out on an awesome fishery....

Keep us posted. BTW... Evergreen Camps on the Kennebec in Solon Maine is very affordable, you can catch a grand-slam of landlocks, browns rainbows and brookies there in the same day.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 PM

Corbo -
My wife and I are big fans of the Acadia area, but I've rarely had the chance to fish during our yearly trips because it was usually a family trip. Now that we are semi-empty nesters I will probably have a better shot of fishing within an hour or two of Ellsworth. One of the streams I would like to fish is the Narraguagus above Cherryfield (AS would be great but any fishing would be fine). But being unfamiliar with the private property issues in that area I have only scouted spots around overpasses.

One of the areas that really intrigued me was through the blueberry barrens in that area. There are all sorts of access points to the river, but you have to drive on private roads that are owned by the blueberry companies. Do you know if they ever allow access to the roads, to get to the stream in those sections?

I had planned on calling the blueberry farms (Jasper Wyman & Son) and seeing if they would allow me to access the stream, but I had no idea of whether they would or not.

Have any good contacts I can call? Any help is greatly appreciated!

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-04-2012, 08:14 AM

PETE

Drive anywhere you want in the barrens or anywhere else for that matter and access the river anywhere you want... this is Maine and the big landowners invite the public to enjoy their lands. You will not see posted signs anywhere for the most part. The law is that if land is not posted with signs annually you can freely enter to fish, hunt trap or whatever.

NOW as to Atlantic Salmon.... Sorry Dude but my buddies and me sued the Feds many years ago to enforce the ESA so you cannot target AS on any downeast River. There are likely no AS left on the Narraguagus.

There are some brokie ponds on Acadia but they are marginal. You might try discovering the Moosehead Region, no access issues there either and it's beautiful country.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Sorry Dude but my buddies and me sued the Feds many years ago to enforce the ESA so you cannot target AS on any downeast River. There are likely no AS left on the Narraguagus.
I had heard that about the Narraguagus and AS. I was actually interested in trout through that section. I heard somewhere that it was pretty good fishing for Brookies and since its so close to Acadia, it would be the easiest to get to.

I have fished in a few places on Acadia and I agree, they are very marginal. I've also been up to the Moosehead region a few times, but its 2-3 hrs away and the times of the year we get up there (late may through late june: before tourist season on Acadia), the blackflies are thick as peanut butter...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 PM

Wow, Thanks Corbo! It is Rangeley, and I don't know it very well. It's a big change from Western NC to Boston, but I'm getting my feet wet, literally. I'd love to pick your brain on maybe somewhere closer than Rangeley, in Maine, that has good fishing. 5 hours is a haul.

I'm exploring new MA waters to tomorrow, but need to hit Maine again soon. Thanks for the response, always nice to have help from around the country!
Old 06-09-2012, 08:57 PM

I would suggest the Kennebec River from the East Outlet down stream to the Madison area. Bows & browns can be had.Fly Fishing Only Fly Shop is located in Fairfield, ME right on the Kennebec. Mike and his wife are great people.

Bill
Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Kentucky Bill

Mike & Linda are great friends of mine; sadly they closed FLY FISHING ONLY in Fairfield two years ago. They still maintain their website forum though. The Shawmut tailwater at their shop was once awesome but has totally failed in the past several years.

The fishing on the Kennebec is great from Madison Tailwater up to the Mooshead tailwaters.

"Evergreen" Campground in Solon is a great place to stay if you wish to catch lots of fish.

I could not tell anyone what rock to stand on in the Rangeley area as I mostly fished the Kennebec.

By Ellsworth area there are few great trout fishing streams or rivers; you must drive a ways.

If you want to google "grand lake stream" you might want to try it but it's a ride.

Maine fly fishing is not as good as it was ten years ago..... that is one of the reasons I move to eastern TN.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:39 PM

Corbo-

Dang it!, I wasn't aware that FFO had shuttered their doors. I went to their website, and it said they had retired. Mike and Linda are great people. About 3 or 4 years ago, my wife (fishing buddy) & I went to Maine to fish for a week on the Kennebec, and do some sight seeing before the "leaf peapers" decended upon Maine for the fall colors. Mike and Linda made us feel at home, and set us up with a guide named Marshall Demott. Marshall took us up and down the Kennebec chasing trout. We had a blast. The last day, we went to the store to thank them for all of their guidance and assistance. They had just put their Orvis rods on sale, and I picked up a nice 9 ft, 6 wt. mid flex rod at 1/2 price. Nice end to a great trip.

Bill

P.S. I hate to see another fly shop close their doors. Its nice to have a fly shop "local" to the area you're going to fish, that knows whats hatching, whats catching, and where to go. I felt that we had that with FFO.

Last edited by kentuckytroutbum; 06-10-2012 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: Added P.S.