Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-11-2012, 07:49 AM

Bill:

Marshall moved to Florida shortly after your trip; he guides down in the glades for baby tarpon, snook etc. When I first met Marshall he did his trout fishing with an 8 weight and tied the absolute ugliest flies.... we fished together a great many times, eventually he went lighter on the rod. LOL He was a "post movie" guy. after several years he became quite accomplished. Marshall's on Justin worked for me through college.

;
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Bill:

Marshall moved to Florida shortly after your trip; he guides down in the glades for baby tarpon, snook etc. When I first met Marshall he did his trout fishing with an 8 weight and tied the absolute ugliest flies.... we fished together a great many times, eventually he went lighter on the rod. LOL He was a "post movie" guy. after several years he became quite accomplished. Marshall's on Justin worked for me through college.

;
Did Marshall move permanently to Florida? When he guided us in late October, He told us that we were his last clients of the season in Maine. And that from November to May he guided in Fl. as you said. In May, he would move back to Maine, and guide up there again.

8 wt for trout? Boy, he must have expected to haul in some heavyweights.

Bill
Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 AM

When Marshall first started fly fishing he drove me crazy with his enthusiasm; we became fast friends and he DID fish an 8 weight that someone "custom made" for him.... he would get pissed off at me when I caught too many fish! Finally he broke down and got a lighter rod.

I remember one day when a bunch of us were meeting a brookie pond to fish the late afternoon midge hatch and Marshall insisted I tie on a "new" fly he created (geez do I hate getting flies from newbies) and as he would not get over it I tied it on my point.... It was ugly and poorly made (he didn't tie anything to pattern but created stuff from materials he could scrounge)... well first cast a huge brookie hit it and broke me off... I was pleased as he didn't have another for me to tie on.

Marshall lives in Florida year round but sometimes ventures north to see his grand-kids. I will try to find his web-site for you later.

Mike & Linda now spend a lot of time up at the North-woods camp on a brookie pond; they have been chained to the store for so many years and unabble to go very often... it is for the most part very remote with water access only or by snowmobile in the winter.

Compare to TN rivers the Kennebec is virtually UN-STOCKED; the river above Solon is not stocked at all... the fish density is very low. The area near Mike's fly shop at Shawmut Tailwater was one of the best fisheries for HUGE browns until about four years ago when it totally collapsed... nobody knows why for certain but it killed traffic to FFO so Mike retired... he still owns the building though if you want to open a shop in Maine.

I really miss the Kennebec.... it's a long story... perhaps WE fish it together some time after I am rich again and can afford to travel home.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 AM

Corbo-

Thanks for the update. I wondered what ever happened to Marshall, and if we went back to Maine, would he still be able to guide us.

Glad that Mike & Linda have the time now to enjoy themselves. They worked hard for years with the fly shop, they deserve to have fun. Sounds like they are up near the Rangley area. I wish them well.

We moved to the Dallas area about a year ago. I still miss the E. TN. tailwaters. In five hours from Louisville, we could be standing in a cold water stream or tailwater flinging flies, and chasing trout in the SoHo, Watauga, Clinch, Holston, etc. You're fortunate to be close to E. Tn., go chase the trout for me. I'll be there in spirit.

Bill
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 AM

Well Bill

I understand your pain... I wanted to move South BUT still enjoy trout fishing with flies and THIS is as good as it gets! In Maine they are only now getting started fly fishing most years.... here I can enjoy the rivers all year round.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM

Here you go Bill Marshall's Florida guide site... perhaps he can hook you up in the salt some time.

http://www.flyanglersguide.com/Florida_Fly_Fishing.htm

Many of my friends have purchased trailers in the same community as Marshall and they fish all winter together.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:21 AM

Corbo-

Thank you so very much. We get down to Fla. now & then. I'll have to give Marshall a shout next time we're headed that way.

Thanks again.

Bill
Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 PM

If any of you ever plan to fish in Maine let me know as I'd be pleased to point you in the right direction.

The in-shore striper fishing with fly tackle was awesome until about 2005 then it mysteriously collapsed with very few fish migrating much above Boston area.... I have heard the stripers are once again roaming the Maine Coast and swimming up the rivers... They are a serious good time on fly tackle and there are many awesome coastal guides who will put you on fish busting top water. So if you are "stuck" visiting the coast and have no time to travel inland to great trout water give the salt a try.