Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 06-21-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Snake River

Going to be in Jackson Hole in late July and I'm trying to cut down on my luggage. Do I need my waders for the Snake in July.
I've been to Yellowstone many times and know I dont need them there.Any info will help me make up my mind. I tend to all but the kitchen sink. Trying to make this a lighter trip.
Lynn
Old 06-21-2012, 11:44 PM

It all depends on where you plan to fish the Snake. What you might do is ship some of your gear to your hotel where you will be arriving (letting them know of what you are doing - a lot of people do this)and do it where it will be there when you arrive. I would rather have them and not need them , than need them and not have them. Also, if you need any other info(restaurants,hikes, other fishing spots than the Snake, etc.....) about the area,I'll be more than happy to try to help . I've been going out there every year for over 20 years .

Mike
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks Mike and hey while you're offering where do we need to eat. We'll only be there for 2 days then off to YS. Did find a spot to fish down some railroad tracks just outside of town that a friend told me about,but will take more advise. I'm not looking for secrets just a point of entry. Thanks for the info.
Lynn
Old 06-22-2012, 10:37 AM

You can rent waders and boots from High Country Flies in Jackson Hole.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:07 PM

Lynn, For me to be able to really recommend places to eat, I need to know more details , such as will there be wives going, how much do you want to spend, etc.....so here is my email address if you want to give me your phone number and I'll give you a call and go over some good places to go eat.
memcconk@gmail.com

Mike
Old 06-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Mike one thing about the Hayes household is we eat well. We want good food. It doesnt have to be in a nice place,but if it is a nice place so much the better.My wife, kid and in-laws will be with me. Maybe you recommend where the locals eat. If they eat there it has to be good. Thanks buddy.
Lynn
Old 06-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Lynn, Don't know where in Jackson you are staying (in town or close by), but here are some good places:
Breakfast -- The Bunnery , The Virginian, and one of my favorite is at Dornan's up at Moose Junction where you can eat outside with the Tetons right there. Also , there is a killer buffet up at Jackson Lake Lodge which might work into your schedule going up to YNP. My very favorite breakfast place soldout in town and is only open at the airport - Jedidiah's House of Sourdough.
Dinner - The Mangy Moose over in Teton Village, the Gunbarrel in Jackson, Merry Piglets (good Mexican food) , Bubba's (bbq), Dornan's (Pizza), our very favorite is about 60 miles south in a town called Thayne and is called Dad's Bar and Steakhouse - a definite local eatery. You have to call ahead to reserve your prime rib.
As far as placess to fish, the place where you mentioned earlier was about where I was going to suggest. If you have any other questns at all, don't hesitate . Hopper patterns miight be working in Star valley on the salt river south of Jackson - where Thayne is.
by late July.

Mike
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 AM

[Thanks Mike, Gonna check out a few of those for sure. What do they call the place down the tracks on the Snake.
Lynn

QUOTE=g022271;101749]Lynn, Don't know where in Jackson you are staying (in town or close by), but here are some good places:
Breakfast -- The Bunnery , The Virginian, and one of my favorite is at Dornan's up at Moose Junction where you can eat outside with the Tetons right there. Also , there is a killer buffet up at Jackson Lake Lodge which might work into your schedule going up to YNP. My very favorite breakfast place soldout in town and is only open at the airport - Jedidiah's House of Sourdough.
Dinner - The Mangy Moose over in Teton Village, the Gunbarrel in Jackson, Merry Piglets (good Mexican food) , Bubba's (bbq), Dornan's (Pizza), our very favorite is about 60 miles south in a town called Thayne and is called Dad's Bar and Steakhouse - a definite local eatery. You have to call ahead to reserve your prime rib.
As far as placess to fish, the place where you mentioned earlier was about where I was going to suggest. If you have any other questns at all, don't hesitate . Hopper patterns miight be working in Star valley on the salt river south of Jackson - where Thayne is.
by late July.

Mike[/QUOTE]
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM

No Hackel - -

I'm curious about your trip - - especially places you fished. My wife and I are going to be in Teton / Yellowstone in mid-September; staying at Grant Village.

We are considering a 1/2 day drift on the Snake with either Mangis Fishing Guide Service or Jackson Hole Anglers. I was out there about 5 years ago with my son and took a 1/2 day drift on the Snake with Mangis - - great time, great weather, some impressive wildlife (not to mention the incredible scenery) and some nice-sized Snake River cutts to-hand.

Fished a couple smaller streams in Teton (the one I recall as I sit here without my journal, was Cottonwood Creek), with some success.

Any suggestions on streams or where on the Snake you (or anyone else for that matter, who reads this post) fished would be welcomed.

Also, I printed Mike's list of suggested "eateries" - - very helpful - - thanks, Mike!

FishStu
Old 08-17-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstu View Post
No Hackel - -

I'm curious about your trip - - especially places you fished. My wife and I are going to be in Teton / Yellowstone in mid-September; staying at Grant Village.

We are considering a 1/2 day drift on the Snake with either Mangis Fishing Guide Service or Jackson Hole Anglers. I was out there about 5 years ago with my son and took a 1/2 day drift on the Snake with Mangis - - great time, great weather, some impressive wildlife (not to mention the incredible scenery) and some nice-sized Snake River cutts to-hand.

Fished a couple smaller streams in Teton (the one I recall as I sit here without my journal, was Cottonwood Creek), with some success.

Any suggestions on streams or where on the Snake you (or anyone else for that matter, who reads this post) fished would be welcomed.

Also, I printed Mike's list of suggested "eateries" - - very helpful - - thanks, Mike!

FishStu
Sorry for the non-report. But yes I fished the Snake near Moose. It fished very well Find some slow water and you'll find fish. I only got to fish it for 3 hours because they sent my rods to seattle instead Jackson. That took a whole day from me. I really wished I could have fished the Gros Ventre. It has really good access. Back to the Snake. Ifished a large Yellow stone with a Uncle Jack dropper and caught 4 or five fish. My son and wife caught up with me and we fished the right bank looking up river @ moose. Lots of fish here. Wished we could have fished the whole thing,but a very bad thunder storm rolled through and it was time anyway to head to Yellowstone.
As far as the eateries for sure check out Bubbas and the Bunnery. They were our Favorites. We werent disappointed with anywhere we ate.
Lynn