Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 PM

Default Hazel #86 question

I usually prefer to stray far into the backcountry, but this weekend my wife and kids want to do some camping and I thought it would be cool to take a boat over to #86 to hang out, do some light hiking, and some good fishing. Can someone tell me whether the campsite is on the lake and good for swimming with kids?

Last edited by joe a; 06-19-2012 at 07:32 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 PM

Joe,

If #86 is Proctor, its not exactly "on the lake". I'd guess maybe a half mile up the trail at the most. It would be a great place for family camping. Plenty to see and do. There are a couple of deep holes right there behind camp where you could swim....or you could simply stroll back down to the lake. There is a pit toilet there and used to be some picnic tables. Not sure about the tables now. I may be over there Saturday on a day trip. If I am, I'll stop by and say hello. I like my ribeye medium-well.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 PM

Drifter,

Thanks for the info. Do you go by the same handle on NGTO?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Joe you might consider taking the ferry to cs 90 at lower Eagle Creek instead it is very nice and right on the lake in a cool shaded area with just a few feet to the lake. Lots of great spots to swim and 3 trails come together right near the campsite which all make for some great hiking and fishing upstream.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 06-24-2012, 08:15 PM

Yes Joe....that's me.

I looked for you Saturday but only saw two guys that came over on kayaks.

Three things of note.....

I saw the biggest black bear that I have ever seen in the Park.....he saw us and ran through the Proctor campsite.

The water temp at Sawdust campsite at noon was 66 degrees. I'll prolly give those troots a break until cooler weather returns.

We caught more bass than trout...all the way up to the second bridge....go figure.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:02 PM

Drifter,

I took Crocket's advice and went to #90 (thanks Crocket). Trout fishing was slow, but I had a good time swimming with the kids and targeting the resident bass. It was a really nice family trip!