Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 AM

Default Filming fish

A friend of a friend from Northern Michegan was staying in PF last week. My friend went out to see him and came back to tell me this story. The man is a wildlife biologist and he and his wife have the unusual hobby of snorkeling with cameras to film trout ( I suppose it may also be part of his job back home). In any event, he and his wife snorkeled LR for about 4 hours last week one day while my friend was with him. He hit some deeper holes and came back with footage of several different Browns, most of them under the banks/ rocks/ overhangs, that were over 20". He says he's going to show me some of the video when they get it downloaded but I thought that was pretty interesting.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:34 AM

Bran, I have a friend who does underwater photography & video as a hobby. He mostly does rare & endangered species of fish, some of which are no bigger than 2", but occasionally ventures into the park and looks at trout. After his last outing, in a very heavily fished area of the park, he mentioned seeing similar results. Many, many fish over 20" that had probably never felt a fisherman's hook.

Last time I talked to him, he wad been in contact with park fisheries about doing some brook trout photos & video high up on Lynn camp, and was trying to aquire the use of a horse to haul all his gear. His wetsuit & camera equipment are apparently very heavy. I'll email him today to see how that is coming, and if he has any photos he wouldn't mind sharing with the forum.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Isn't that awesome. I'd love to get in on one of those trips, it just fascinates me. I've always said I'd love to have one of those underwater cameras for my boat but the water is too dingy here to see but a couple of feet in our rivers.
This guy reported seeing a lot of Dace also, very good food sources.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Granny - there was a story on Knoxnews earlier this week about some folks that look for endagered fish in this area - can't seem to find it now but it sounded very interesting. Would love to see some of that video.

As for those big browns, maybe time to trade in the fly rod for a speargun!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 PM

The story in the News Sentinel this week was about the group over in the Cherokee National Forest that snorkel to count fish in the Citico. I think they even take groups out or offer classes or some such.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM

I coaxed a fish around 20" out from an undercut bank on the middle prong a while back...oh wait, no I didn't.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
A friend of a friend from Northern Michegan was staying in PF last week. My friend went out to see him and came back to tell me this story. The man is a wildlife biologist and he and his wife have the unusual hobby of snorkeling with cameras to film trout ( I suppose it may also be part of his job back home). In any event, he and his wife snorkeled LR for about 4 hours last week one day while my friend was with him. He hit some deeper holes and came back with footage of several different Browns, most of them under the banks/ rocks/ overhangs, that were over 20". He says he's going to show me some of the video when they get it downloaded but I thought that was pretty interesting.
I have just over 1,600 gbs of underwater video and found all of it entertaining and informative. During daylight hours; I see many large brown trout hiding under trees, root banks, and structure. I have learned to target them by fishing bass style and close up. However; they are still reluctant to move from their hiding spots until dusk. The odd thing I have noticed is the abundant number of browns facing downstream under coverage.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 AM

Default Field Testing New Underwater Camera Rig

We are field testing a SeaLife DC1400 digital underwater camera with its new Fisheye Wide Angle Lens, that company's widest angle and most advanced external lens to date. So far we like it. The lens has a 16mm effective focal length. We will publish our report on this gear in the September/October issue of Southern Trout. Insofar as I have dropped almost a half dozen Nikons in the water (South Holston, Abrams Creek, Delay River, Çhucky….) over the years, personally I find it a bit unnatural to put a camera underwater. Too old to change, eh?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 AM

Saturday in that 105 degree heat my son and I went up to Tremont to swim in a big shady pool up Thunderhead Prong. Not sure if it was because the air temp was so warm but the pool was absolutely freezing. Took us a good while to get used to the cold and get all the way in. We brought snorkels and went looking for trout. Saw about 6 bows in this massive pool and lots of small chubs. 5 of the bows were about 6 or 7 inches but then after swimming for an hour we saw a bigger bow in a deeper part of the pool. It was about 12 inches and a real beauty. Was fun to watch it. It stayed near the bottom and was spooked to some undercut rocks when we got close to it but after we would back off it would come back to the same area in a minute or two.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 07-02-2012, 11:21 AM

Wow, so there's quite a bit of interest in this. I thought it was so cool because I'd never heard of anyone doing it in the Smokies. Don, I've looked at those Sealife cameras too. I've also looked at some of the water proof housings for my Canon 7D and HDD recorder but I can't justify the prices for a hobby.