Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-05-2012, 12:35 PM

Those stripers have definitely been eating well

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 07-05-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Here are a couple of the culprits, they no longer have a pulse. My head is gone to obscure the section of river where they came from.

M.R. Bigguns
Old 07-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jim,
Those are impressive catches. It looks like you took them on low-flow. Did you get them on a fly rod? That would be a fabulous battle....
Those were caught with the water running about 1/2 a generator. They did not come on a fly, I honestly do not know that it is possible to land stripers that size on a fly rod in the Clinch. I have caught some big ones over the years on flies, but those are in an entirely different league. On conventional tackle they are an unbelievable handful.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 PM

A hero emerges from the banks of the river to fight, fight for the lives of our precious trout.

Thanks Jim!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraccoon View Post
A hero emerges from the banks of the river to fight, fight for the lives of our precious trout.

Thanks Jim!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Those were caught with the water running about 1/2 a generator. They did not come on a fly, I honestly do not know that it is possible to land stripers that size on a fly rod in the Clinch. I have caught some big ones over the years on flies, but those are in an entirely different league. On conventional tackle they are an unbelievable handful.
I believe I know where this photo was taken. There have been a lot of stripers in that area this year. Also; I have noticed them in more areas than years previous. I stalked a school Wednesday trying to video them; but, the water was still too stained.

I agree that catching one on a fly seems super elusive. Especially for me. I have thrown about everything at them and only once had a slight chase. Not that I could have landed the fish; just wanted to give it a try...I saw several guys throwing 10-12" rapalas at them this week. I assume those are working well on low flows. The rest of the time; it seems that fisherman balloon float for them during high water.

Again, great catch and fabulous fish! I would like to land one to add to the bucket list.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-06-2012, 09:04 AM

Sadly the only ones I have ever hooked on the fly in the Clinch were briefly "hooked" after eating a trout I was fighting. I have caught piles of them below Fort Loudon Dam on a fly, but nothing even close to that big. I think the biggest one I ever caught on a fly was around 20 lbs and on an 8 wt it was an absolute handful.

Both of those fish fought as visciously as any fish, fresh or saltwater I have caught. The shear power and speed they have is mind boggling. I personally think stripers are a magnificent game fish, but they need to be restricted to areas where Shad are prolific and they don't do massive damage to another sport fish population.

In full disclosure those came on live bait, sans balloon. The live bait of choice is a 10"-12" rainbow. Stocker rainbows don't work so well because they have a piss poor work eithic, you need to the fiesty ones. It sucks to kill trout to do this, but killing a few to save many makes it a little more tolerable.

Kill them all.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
..... I personally think stripers are a magnificent game fish, but they need to be restricted to areas where Shad are prolific and they don't do massive damage to another sport fish population.
I wonder if the shad populations on Melton Hill are dwindling, causing the stripers to move upstream into the trout water. Almost every person I know who fishes for Stripers on the lakes catches their bait on Melton Hill the night before. Maybe this is putting a hurtin on their populations....
Old 07-06-2012, 11:46 AM

Hey Jim,

I forgot to ask.... Did you check out what they've been eating?

I'm sure those pigs consumed a ton of trout in their day.

No need to feel bad about the bait sacrifice....Those beast would have ate your offerings sooner or later.

Oh yea....why are you posting on the message board today. Get your butt back out there and eliminate some more.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:22 PM

WW,
Were these recent photos? Do I need to send bounty checks out? Still, impressive fish.

For those in the know. Can you take a striper with a bow as in what the carp guys do? Both are trash fish in my opinion. You can't eat either carp or stripers according to the signs by the ramps, so it should be legal. Right?

I hope I don't miss a carp with my bow and just happen to hit a striper. What a shame that would be! What this project needs the the Duck Commander dudes!