Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 PM

Default Lousiana Redfish 6/30/2012

Epic day last Friday! I was fortunate enough to get a day off from work and booked a trip with Capt. Alec Griffin from Louisiana Flywater. This was my third trip with Alec and I cannot recommend him highly enough. The guys in LA are lucky to have such a tremendous fishery! I met Alec at Woodland Plantation at 7:30 am and we took our time as the tide was due to start dropping around 7:30. After a long boat ride I jump on the platform and we are immediately on fish. I hooked several fish right off the bat and after 15 mins or so we had at least 4 in the boat. Then things got better...BULLS! We upsized flies and started hunting, after several missed shots I hooked into a big one. Weighed 30lbs on the Boga. Don't know the actual total but we were well over 20 fish (ranging between 5 and 15 lbs) with one red at 30lbs, black drum at 35lbs and 1 sheepshead to round out my Cajun Grand Slam! Sheepshead are usually tough to coax to the fly but the one I caught attacked it like it hadn't eaten in a week. Most were caught on flies I tied making the day all the more special. Awesome day with an awesome guide! If you are looking for a trip with a great guide, I highly recommend Alec! BTW, the Restoration Pale Ale from Abita Beer is great also.