Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM

Default new pack for backcountry fishing and camping?

Looking for a backpack for my son and I to use on a backcountry trip. It would more than likely be a three day trip at the most, maybe four. Anybody have any thoughts on packs that I might look at? If anyone has any firsthand experience with any brand please let us know. Being a novice to the sport, any and all posts will be appreciated. Thanks flyguys!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 PM

Check out REI's Flash 62 pack. I have an earlier version of it (cruise UL 60) and it has treated me very well. It has a great capacity for its low 3 pound weight.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:47 PM

OSPREY Atmos 60 - It is awesome, very light and incredibly durable.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:35 PM

I have an REI Mars 80.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Are you buying 2 of the same pack, or taking one pack between the two of you?
How old is your son, and do you have the same torso measurment?
Old 07-12-2012, 12:15 PM

Grannyknot asks some very good questions. Having recently been through a similar effort you need to ask yourself quite a few questions before making a purchase.

Below is a link that is useful for helping those narrow down what category of packs they should purchase:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/test..._tnt=42401:2:0

Finally, regardless of what everybody tells you, the best thing is to go to a store and try on as many packs in the range you are looking at as possible. Then determine which one offers the balance of size, comfort, features, and cost that you are looking for.

Personally, I recently bought myself a Gregory Z65 because it has the volume I wanted for overnight winter trips, 3+ day summer trips, reasonably light weight for a 65L pack, comfortable, and it was on clearance since it was a 2011 color (lots of deals to be had on 2011 models). That being said, it is hard to go wrong with any of the main pack manufacturers: Osprey (just ordered a Stratos 24 from a local store), Gregory, Deuter, & Arc'teryx. I did purchase a High Sierra prior to the Z65 but it was such poor quality and heavy I immediately returned it in favor of the Z65.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 PM

Thanks guys. Grannyknot, my son is sixteen and will be taking his own pack. He has a long torso, and myself, well lets just say i'm vertically challenged. Thanks for the advice! Better get to the stores and start trying things on!! flyguys
Old 07-12-2012, 03:07 PM

flyguys... yep, go to a store and try them on. REI stores seem to have a pretty decent staff when it comes to pack fitting. Make sure your son gets a long torso pack. It took me several years to figure out that I needed a long torso pack. One other thing to remember is that lighter isn't always better. Some companies shave weight off of the frame & support structures to cut weight, because light weight sells & is the only spec a lot of people look at.

I can't really reccomend a brand. I've had most of them at one time or another and they all have their good eggs & bad ones.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:00 PM

All the aforementioned advice is good advice , the only addition I would make is to remember that whatever cu. in. pack you get, you will tend to use every bit of it and more, which adds up to more weight. I've had several size packs and thru trial and error learned to take what I really needed and what creature comforts I could do without.I got rid of my largest pack and went with a little smaller one.
Mike
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM

Agree on all the great advice. Daypacks, winter and summer backpacking all can require a different pack. And as a famous writer on this subject once observed the pack companies rejoice at the idea of many packs in each closet. Buy the best quality you can and all other choices being equal buy lightweight.

Lee