Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-21-2012, 11:07 PM

Default Bear spray?

I am curious how many of you carry bear spray when fishing in the park. Anyone have experience using it or maybe just wishing you had some available due to an encounter? Any thoughts on an airhorn or other possible deterrent is appreciated as well.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:50 AM

I have tramped the Park for forty years and never had the need to carry any. YNP, now that's another ball of wax.

If you think you need to get bear spray you need to get the big canisters, developed for bears. Regular pepper spry will not do what you want it to do.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Smile

I don't own any

Unless you stay at 24 or lower Hazel sites, it's probably silly to carry, and even then I'm most likely just being paranoid.

Freddie had a statistic that said only 3 people have been killed by bears east of the Mississippi in the last 50 or hundred years.

Might want to carry an epi-pen, as the bees might really kill you.

Just take your fishing gear and have a good time
Old 07-22-2012, 10:57 AM

I carry it when fishing. I have never needed it and hopefully never will, but I carry it just in case.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 PM

The airhorn is an interesting strategy, maybe someone here knows if that would work. I guess you could always use it like a whistle with three short blasts of it in an emergency. You than could wait for rescue or give the bears a quick heads up to where dinner was that night!
Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I usually have a 9 year old fishing with me and am really just looking for peace of mind as we go deeper into the park.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 PM

Just keep your 9 y.o. close to you at all times as more people have died from being lost and exposure in the GSMNP than bear attacks.

It is the out of doors in a national park, which means no cell coverage. Be smart, be prepared, but have a great time.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:38 AM

I've hiked in the Park over 35 yrs or more and never felt the need for bear spray even though I've had a couple of trail run-ins where the bear just took off . Like Narco said, out West in Glacier or YNP is literally an entirely different animal. One thing that we carried the last few years that I backpacked and carry now when fishing in the Park are a set of walkie talkies. They really come in handy in keeping up with one another as to where we are , what is hitting, and are a safety aid as well.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 PM

I've carried fire crackers before but I've also thought about an air horn. I'd only light the firecrackers as a last ditch effort but I think they would work. If I had to use the bear spray, I'd probably spray myself as I was getting attacked!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:51 PM

Probably not necessary, just give them a wide berth and enjoy the view. Always worked for me.