Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 07-25-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmanbrook View Post

Got this fatty last night, seemed really healthy. got into backing, healthy.
That one looks great, where on the river?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:35 PM

upper, upstream from weir
Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I hoped it was lower.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:44 PM

Water temps, striper, brook trout, and Obama.

4X
Old 07-25-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post

4X
It is Bush's fault.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post

4X
I'll take, "4 Worse things for a tailwater fisheries, for a $1000 Alex"
Old 07-25-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Danny,
Sorry I missed that catch. Beto and Mihai said it was a hog. Good fish! I knew you were looking for something when I saw you in the morning fishing that hole.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM

It's pretty obvious there is a problem, and it's a recent problem because early season when the water first went off, the fish were in outstanding condition, as good as I've seen in many years. That's not to say the high water did not cause problems..it may have just taken this long for them to show up. We've had high water before, as high as 32000 cfs as I remember and the fish did ok. The one thing I dont ever remember is the water being as low as we saw this Spring and early Summer. I saw areas sticking out of the water I have never seen before. When those normally wet areas dry out whatever life they supported dies. Think of it as a cornfield in reverse. Even a few inches of water level can uncover a whole lot of acreage. TVA was leaving the river off for 11 or 12 hours at a time during a heat wave and to top it off cleaned the weir pipes so it would drain even faster. If that wasnt bad enough it was discovered that the weir dam is cracked and therefore not doing as good a job of regulating flow as it should.
Is it an oxygen problem, a water temp problem, or a benthos problem? **** if I know. But it is a problem, like one poster said, some of the fish show it and some don't, but it does seem to be worse in the larger fish and it seems to be worse in the lower end.The water has been running a fair amount lately so if it's a temp or low flow issue things should be getting better. Not being a fisheries biologist or a hydrologist I'm just taking a stab in the dark but the water flows this year have been to say the least..erratic! There are new people in charge of river operations for TVA and I doubt they are anglers, or could give a tinker's &%$# about trout or trout fishermen.
I do know when fishing declines in certain areas, fishermen move to different areas, and not all of them are dedicated to conservation. Take a ride to the upper end these days and you'll see what I mean.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:45 AM

Well;

I'm personally not a big fan of "big hydro" when it comes to HOW they operate OUR rivers anywhere in OUR country.

Earlier this year I really enjoyed fishing the Clinch a few times and found the fish chunky & strong with beautiful coloration.... by all accounts HEALTHY.

Now I read reports of fish appearing "starved" to an un-healthy condition.

More like a food problem than pollution. POOP means bigger fish unless it is "chemical"

That said WHEN TVA operates the Clinch with high flows, then YO-YO flows and then minimum flows and later on only pulse flows it stands to reason that a great many INSECTS would logically be stranded on river bottom that becomes EXPOSED to dry conditions and they die.

IMO not enough CONSTANT MINIMUM FLOW; the Clinch needs to have a HIGHER minimum flow so more of the river bottom remains UNDER WATER at ALL times.

No YANKEE comments please. BUT... In Maine I fought for years with BIG HYDRO to increase minimum flows below dams so more of the river bottom was "wetted" between generating flows. "THEY" meaning hydro and the various state & federal agencies consider this "wasting water" but in the end WE (Kennebec Valley TU) won with the FERC and higher minimums prevailed thus wetting more river bottom and restoring more habitat.

So; IF YOU want things to CHANGE you must bitch about it, raise money for INDEPENDENT experts and negotiate... You will get nowhere with the State TWRA but it is very likely you could win over the FEDS like USF&WS and NMFS as well as others in Interior & Commerce.

Just sayin.... I've personally done it many times BUT it takes $$$$$$ & commitment and a large constituency that gives a ****.... got [guts]?

Last edited by Paula Begley; 07-31-2012 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: offensive language
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebone View Post
I do know when fishing declines in certain areas, fishermen move to different areas, and not all of them are dedicated to conservation. Take a ride to the upper end these days and you'll see what I mean.
Mike,
I second this point.
  • The upper end is getting hammered with fish mongers who are focusing on prime feeding lies. They are constantly carrying out their allotment and more daily. I see tons of fish being harvested in the slot. I have called TWRA and let the know on many occasions. I do wish they would put up some new signs about the slot. Maybe some metal or pvc-type signs.
  • Another issue that has not been discussed is trout stocking. I think most of the TWRA stockings were quickly snatched up at the ramps by fishing mongers within a week after being released. It would be a good idea to make a temporary no fishing zone within a 100 yards or something while this is going on.
  • Also; I believe it would be beneficial to see a harvest limit of one brown trout a day on the Clinch.
I think it is great to discuss river issues and to voice our opinions. The public and fishermen are the best resources for evaluating the true health of the river.

I would rather try and work with TWRA/TVA to make the Clinch a better fishery and to help them fulfill their needs. I know TWRA has been hit hard with funding issues the last few years and they are stretched super thin. It would be nice to see them get some Federal Grants.
to choose, to respond, to change.”