Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 08-01-2012, 11:37 AM

Default Little Flow Big Flow

Greetings from Alabama! A short introduction, I'm a warm water guy who fishes the Cahaba River and Shades Creek in Birmingham. I've tried to learn to say bluegill and panfish but it still comes out bream. I know just enough about fly fishing to know to try not to seem too stupid but here goes.

The Cahaba and Shades Creek both went from a flow of 10 CFS to 2000 CFS early Tuesday. By the weekend flows will be down and both fishable. My question is should I fish these rivers differently after the water has gone from flood to normal levels?
Old 08-01-2012, 07:40 PM

It will probably depend on the water clarity. But I would think the fish will be less skittish. So maybe try larger flies and go from there. I like the water to have a little stain to it. The water will also be more oxygenated. So the fish more active. I would start sub-surface if the water has color and top if its clear. I have hard time picturing 10cfs.
I fish mostly smallmouth streams, so I hope this helps. So usually after a high water situation I use a hellgramite fly or a good ole' wooly bugger. The fish get use to seeing them and will really target them.If that doesnt work try a bait fish.Maybe a zonker or a puglesi minnow.
Lynn
Old 08-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Perfect! I'll keep you posted. 10 CFS, think the Little River barely moving or about 1/3 it's size
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM

2000 cfs is a bit much. I would wait on a more suitable flow.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:15 AM

I agree 2000 CFS is flash flood but it was fun to see the effects of that much water moving gravel and vegetation. 100 CFS or less is easy to wade. This morning it was in the easy to wade range. Fish seemed a bit less aggressive than a week ago at low water and very warm conditions. No bass today but nice green sunfish and bream. Equal number of fish on big topwater, small topwater and small subsurface. Thanks for the help! We'll see how the Cahaba looks Saturday.