Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Default Just got back from Forney Creek

Went up to Forney Creek for a short trip before school starts back up for me tomorrow. This is my second trip up to this area. Both times, the number is fish is smaller but the size of the fish are good. I didn't take many pictures this time...wish I had.

I took a guy who had never backcountry fished and he caught a Park best for him...9.5 inch rainbow.

Found this in the morning when I woke up.

I will say this about the state of this backcountry campground. Campsite #71 was cesspool of filth. I found two kitchen size trash bags full of garbage hoisted on the bear cables, empty liquor bottles, beer cans, tin cans, a tampon applicator, bottle caps, toilet paper with sh*t on it, plastic bags, broken glass, an unopened can of Chef Boyardee, clothes left hang on some para cord, and much more all over the place. I packed out what I could but I couldn't take it all. I know it happens at most of the sites but it shouldn't and doesn't have to happen. I sincerely hope that with the new reservation system and backcountry rangers that are supposed to be funded will be able to alleviate some of this. It was rather disheartening to take a first timer out there and for him to see such a "crappy" site.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:35 PM

Looks like a fun trip. It's sad, but not at all surprising to hear about the filth at the site.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:19 AM

I think that there are a lot of folks boat camping and trashing the place. When we where there a couple of months ago there was horse manure in some of the flatest areas for tents. Unless things change I will not stay there again.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benintenn View Post
I sincerely hope that with the new reservation system and backcountry rangers that are supposed to be funded will be able to alleviate some of this.

It won't. Two rangers won't make a difference, they will have to be 24/7 taking care of the AT which is where 99.9% of all the backcountry overcrowding issues exist. The maintenance of the backcountry sites (trash pickup, etc) is primarily done by volunteers. I tried to get set up with them this year but they only had 3 or 4 orientations and most of them were in the middle of the week, so I couldn't this year. Maybe next year. Maybe if you contact the adopt a campsite coordinator, they will notify whoever is responsible for 71 that it is time for some cleanup.

Again about the rangers, the reservation system isn't paying for them, that was just misinformation to get people on the side of an unnecessary system, (as per the internal emails about the planning of this released under a FOIA request) Friends of the Smokys and the Great Smoky Mountains Association had already committed to donate the money for the two rangers, the reservation system will simply pay for the reservation system and nothing more.

Sorry to go off on a rant there, I just feel the need to correct misinformation and false hopes when I see them. I love forney creek and hope to do another trip there real soon. Glad you caught some.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Ben the 2 new backcountry rangers have already been on the job for several months so unfortunately this is happening on their watch. As most of us knew it is pretty much impossible for 2 folks to stop that kind of stuff in an area as big as the Smokies. I ran into one of the two new rangers at Walnut Bottoms about a month ago and had a good talk with him about this issue. Basically they will cite if they happen to see an infraction but their main job is just to check and make sure you have a permit or make sure you have "bought your ticket" to be in there as of next year.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62

2 are better than none. Great job cleaning every one should hall out a little trash every trip. And nice pictures!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfish62 View Post
2 are better than none.

Even when they are just for show?