Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Corbo Corbo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sevierville TN
Posts: 494
Default Clinch Monsters

After some trout fishing yesterday on the Clinch with Shawn we motored past an enormous herd of HUGE stripers; not a small one in the bunch, most easily 30 inch and some nearly 50 inches long.

I hope to be back next Saturday with the appropriate Fly Gear, Boat, and enormous flies.

Until then it will be difficult to sleep without dreaming about them. I have caught zillions of stripers in New England waters but they were all sea run fish in the rivers. I so want to hook-up with a totally salt-free striper.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM
waterwolf waterwolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,202
Default

Just be sure to slit their stomachs prior to release. Benchmade makes a nifty blade called a Rescue hook, run into their anus and zip it to their gill plates. They won't go far...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Corbo Corbo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sevierville TN
Posts: 494
Default

Well there were hundreds of them so I doubt it possible to catch them all. There did not appear to be any shortage of trout around.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM
waterwolf waterwolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Well there were hundreds of them so I doubt it possible to catch them all. There did not appear to be any shortage of trout around.
Hundreds?...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 PM
ChemEAngler's Avatar
ChemEAngler ChemEAngler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,140
Default

Question...

I had heard that the stripers stocked in the lakes around here are sterile. Is this true? Is it possible that the stripers are making a spawning run up the tailwater?

I have fished for them on the lakes, but as far as the habits of stripers I am completely unfamiliar with.
__________________
Travis

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM
waterwolf waterwolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Question...

I had heard that the stripers stocked in the lakes around here are sterile. Is this true? Is it possible that the stripers are making a spawning run up the tailwater?

I have fished for them on the lakes, but as far as the habits of stripers I am completely unfamiliar with.
They are not sterile, but from what I have read the requirements for them to successfully spawn do not exist here and thus the reason they have to be stocked in order to sustain the population.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Flat Fly n's Avatar
Flat Fly n Flat Fly n is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East TN
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
They are not sterile, but from what I have read the requirements for them to successfully spawn do not exist here and thus the reason they have to be stocked in order to sustain the population.
You must have not seen the movie Jurassic Park then!
__________________
I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 PM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Well there were hundreds of them so I doubt it possible to catch them all. There did not appear to be any shortage of trout around.
I think Corbo was just a bit excited about seeing the stripers. We saw probably about a dozen or so in scattered group.
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 PM
waterwolf waterwolf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I think Corbo was just a bit excited about seeing the stripers. We saw probably about a dozen or so in scattered group.
Thank heavens, I was discouraged. I have been killing them off and felt for a moment like they were spawning from the gravel.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Thank heavens, I was discouraged. I have been killing them off and felt for a moment like they were spawning from the gravel.

I hate to kill anything; but, these things do seem to have been upstream longer than normal and they are putting a hurt on the trout. Keep working them if it will help the trout population.
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.