Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Default Clinch Monsters

After some trout fishing yesterday on the Clinch with Shawn we motored past an enormous herd of HUGE stripers; not a small one in the bunch, most easily 30 inch and some nearly 50 inches long.

I hope to be back next Saturday with the appropriate Fly Gear, Boat, and enormous flies.

Until then it will be difficult to sleep without dreaming about them. I have caught zillions of stripers in New England waters but they were all sea run fish in the rivers. I so want to hook-up with a totally salt-free striper.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:13 PM

Just be sure to slit their stomachs prior to release. Benchmade makes a nifty blade called a Rescue hook, run into their anus and zip it to their gill plates. They won't go far...
Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 PM

Well there were hundreds of them so I doubt it possible to catch them all. There did not appear to be any shortage of trout around.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Well there were hundreds of them so I doubt it possible to catch them all. There did not appear to be any shortage of trout around.
Hundreds?...
Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 PM

Question...

I had heard that the stripers stocked in the lakes around here are sterile. Is this true? Is it possible that the stripers are making a spawning run up the tailwater?

I have fished for them on the lakes, but as far as the habits of stripers I am completely unfamiliar with.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Question...

I had heard that the stripers stocked in the lakes around here are sterile. Is this true? Is it possible that the stripers are making a spawning run up the tailwater?

I have fished for them on the lakes, but as far as the habits of stripers I am completely unfamiliar with.
They are not sterile, but from what I have read the requirements for them to successfully spawn do not exist here and thus the reason they have to be stocked in order to sustain the population.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
They are not sterile, but from what I have read the requirements for them to successfully spawn do not exist here and thus the reason they have to be stocked in order to sustain the population.
You must have not seen the movie Jurassic Park then!
Old 08-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
I think Corbo was just a bit excited about seeing the stripers. We saw probably about a dozen or so in scattered group.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I think Corbo was just a bit excited about seeing the stripers. We saw probably about a dozen or so in scattered group.
Thank heavens, I was discouraged. I have been killing them off and felt for a moment like they were spawning from the gravel.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Thank heavens, I was discouraged. I have been killing them off and felt for a moment like they were spawning from the gravel.

I hate to kill anything; but, these things do seem to have been upstream longer than normal and they are putting a hurt on the trout. Keep working them if it will help the trout population.
to choose, to respond, to change.”