Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-14-2012, 11:01 AM

Hey guys I talked to a guy over at Melton Hill dam one day and he was catching stripers for a cook out for the soldiers that were coming home. Maybe if you could donate the fish to them. It would solve two problems. I dont know who to contact,but maybe contact your local VFW and see if they have a contact number. Just a thought.
Lynn
Old 08-14-2012, 06:11 PM

It's odd that one man's game fish is another man's trash fish.

Guys fishing for stripers use trout as bait. Guys fishing for trout want to eliminate the stripers. Just kind of odd.

I live in Kentucky and don't fish the Clinch. I'm not taking sides here at all.

Jeff
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post

Guys fishing for stripers use trout as bait. Guys fishing for trout want to eliminate the stripers. Just kind of odd.

Jeff
I fish for Stripers on the Clinch using trout as bait. Kill a few to save many. What is your point?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 PM

Hey 'wolf.
The big question is... What are you finding in their stomachs?

4X
Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post

Jeff
Jeff, that is the big problem here. I actually really enjoy fishing for both species but have never found good trout fishing to coexist with a great striper fishery. I believe that the decline of the Hiwassee coincided with stocking of stripers in Chickamauga and their subsequent trips up the HI as far as the powerhouse. I'm sure someone who has been around longer can verify that for sure. I know the past few years on the Caney have been a little tough on the trout scene and stripers are very active up and down the river. Too bad there is not some way to limit the stripers to the lower end of these great trout tailwaters. Obviously the trout and stripers can coexist to some extent, but the trout fishery will definitely not be as good as it can with the stripers around...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://troutzoneanglers.com
http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com

Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 PM

Announcing the 1st Annual Striper Catch and Kill Tournament on the Clinch River.

I'm confident that if this problem isn't addressed quickly our Clinch could be on the decline in a hurry! If it isn't already

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM

Sign me up!

I'll bring the grill and the beer!

BTW. I wouldn't eat a striper from BELOW Melton Hill dam if you paid me! above it or out of Norris well then it's GRILL ON!

Jeffnles1,
$1,800,000 (150,000 fishermen x $trout stamp) spent by trout fishermen in TN to supply or manage a trout fisheries program by way of a TROUT STAMP. $ 0.00 spent on STRIPER STAMPS. Why not kill an invasive species in a river managed for trout?

I do the same for coyotes. They cause an estimated 30% mortality among deer herds. If you manage a resource on the revenues raised by selling a "right" to fish or hunt for a given species, then an invasive species moves in.....that species should be eliminated.

One question. Where would the Great Lakes fisheries (along with all the money raised for license/food/lodgeing/guides) and all the unbelievable tributary fisheries be today IF the DNR of the surrounding states had ideally sat by and allowed the lamphrey to continue to spread?

I would love for TWRA to come shock and sample the stripers out of the Clinch River and prove me wrong that they are there and they are not eating the trout we paid for.

http://www.americanhunter.org/Articl...id=2121&cid=47

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/ap...hreat-of-cuts/
Old 08-15-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
Hey 'wolf.
The big question is... What are you finding in their stomachs?

4X
100% trout, and the larger ones we have caught 30lbs+ usually have about 15 trout in their stomachs. The size range from 8"-16" and they do not distinguish species.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
100% trout, and the larger ones we have caught 30lbs+ usually have about 15 trout in their stomachs. The size range from 8"-16" and they do not distinguish species.
Jim, true that! Most of my friends that fish for them use large bait. You should post that big boy you landed a few weeks ago...I would like to see some severe thinning of their numbers. I have spotted a few 5-10# carp with huge bite marks on them. Here is a photo of one of the stripers I got a picture of last Saturday with Corbo.

If anyone wants to know were the striper schools are located; just send me a message and I can map each holding lie on the tailwater along with density.
YTB http://www.youtube.com/user/MadisonBoats?feature=mhee
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-16-2012, 07:53 AM

Fellas Fellas Fellas

Didn't I mention that there was NO shortage of trout caught that day?

While I'm certain the stripers eat quite a few trout in the particular area we fished Saturday they were NOT occupying the same water as each species is looking for different habitat during the warm weather.

These were mostly LARGE stripers that NEED cool water to survive now so their primary reason for being in that particular spot was temperature not food.

I would like to go again this saturday and see where the stripers go on two generators; as on one generator and at low flow they were not in the trout waters as we would have easily seen them. I'm certain however that any trout that traveled through the holding lie would be taking a big risk.

While living in Maine for 25 years I caught tens of thousands of stripers on fly tackle; easy 100 fish days on sea run fish in the Kennebec River with triple hook-ups in my boat all day long.

These fish ought to be catchable HERE on fly tackle under the correct conditions like two generators; they more aggressive and feed better on moving water and are a bit less fussy as they must make a faster decision to take the fly.

Once I crack the code on them HERE and reliably hook them you will all want to catch them as a GAMEFISH.

STRIPERS ON THE FLY IN A RIVER IS THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH YOUR CLOTHES ON, (though I never tried it naked just for the record). Shawn would like object to me fishing naked anyway and I hate to get snagged by a 4/0 hook in the wrong place.

STAY TUNED.