Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Default First time on East Side

Spent part of this past weekend with the folks at a popular campground on the NC side. This was my first time past Newfound Gap and I was excited to spend some time on the water.

Woke up to rain at 6:30 on Saturday. Rain doesn't sound near as bad inside an RV as it does in a tent! Crept out while everyone was asleep; while I was hoping to go after brookies, I was short on time so jumped into the stream after a short hike.

Despite the rain the stream was very clear. Didn't seem too high but when I stepped out into the water the flow was quite strong.

Managed a small camera shy rainbow before hooking up with this little guy. Just upstream was a short cascade with a likely holding spot on the far side of the stream. Threw my rig over and on the second toss a clinch sized rainbow turned over in the water. He wasn't interested after that but just the sight was exciting.

After a short breakfast break, got back on the stream, this time with the boss.

Things slowed down for several hours. Finally I said, 1 more fish and I'm done. Promptly caught a small rainbow but had left the camera along the stream. On the way out I decided to give it one more shot and get a picture. Stepped in to a likely hole, second cast and I had my largest park rainbow in hand. Wouldn't you know it, camera dies as I'm trying to take a picture!

Great day and very much enjoyed this stream.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM

I can't see the pics.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Ryan, sound like a fun trip....did you take the RV over?
I don't think your pictures are working. Try uploading them to a photo site.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:25 PM

weird, I can see it on my screen...

Trying again.

The folks drove up earlier in the week and we met them Friday night. Came home Saturday. That's a great trail for kids. Even managed to take a stroller in about 1/2 mile.