Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Hey Fishstu are you going to the TU meeting thursday. If so My name is Lynn Hayes I 'll try to find you and give you first hand detail. You might also be interested with the Lake trout show Marc going to have.
Lynn
Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 AM

Thank you, Lynn, for the "non-report" about the Snake and Gros Ventre - - the mix-up about your gear had to be frustrating (to say the least, and not use more colorful language). Also, thanks for offering to chat at the TU meeting - - unfortunately, I am a flat-lander "stuck" in Indiana and unable to make those meetings. However, I am a member of chapter there because I consider the GSMNP to be my "home waters" and that chapter is far more active and informative than any 'round here.

Take care - - and, again, thanks - -
FishStu
Old 08-17-2012, 12:10 PM

Listen if your going to YSNP. You should fish Lower Slough creek. This is the water beloww the campground. It has more cutbows and their are bigger fish around down there.The first meadow above has the numbers and those fish are 14 to 16''. Also go to Tower Falls section of the Yellowstone River Good fishing to be had in the canyon. Access is the trail for the overlook to tower falls. There will be a sign saying that the trail is washed out @ the bottom. Its always washed out. its a pretty steep bank but doable. Just watch your step. Fish close up the Bank and you'll be able to access Tower Creek there. You may also get some run up fish from Hebgan Lake in the Madison. Big nymphs and streamers should let you know pretty quickly if their there. You may want to try Lewis river channel as well it's all Browns with an outside chance of a Lake trout.
Have a good time.
Lynn
Old 08-25-2012, 04:03 PM

No Hackle (Lynn) -First off I need to apologize to you for not getting back to you about the fishing spot on the Snake near some tracks. I must've had a senior moment cause I was thinking of a spot on the Greys River (down south of JH on the east side of the Salt Mtn Range). Too bad you didn't get to fish the Gros Ventre , because it does have some good spots, but there are soooo many good fishing streams out there, it would take a lifetime to check them all out.
Glad you liked the Bunnery and Bubbas..what places if any were you dissapointed in? I failed to tell you about a couple of greatt dessert spots and FishStu might like these as welll..Signal Mtn Lodge has some great berry pies alamode and the Pioneer Grill at Jackson Lake Lodge has some monster size desserts as well.
Also, thanks for the info on fishing in YNP. I plan on fshing there at least one day the first of Oct. Hopefullly , the weather will hold off on the snow.

Mike
Old 08-25-2012, 07:54 PM

Mike, My friend that told me about the tracks must have been having a senoir moment too. I asked our waitress @ bubba's and their was a couple fisherman that worked there. They weren't aware of any tracks. She said tracks couldn't be layed there or it would have been settled alot earlier. Go figure.
As far as the Gros Ventre,it tore me up that I didnt get to fish it. On the way back I learned of the Buffalo Fork.Also we stayed @ togoweetee (spl) pass. Black rock creek was basically across the road from where we stayed. Well I went one evening to check it out and there were yellow sallies hatching with fish everywhere. I rushed back to the lodge and asked where a computer was so I could get my liscence. I couldn't get the web page to boot. Thats the closest I ever came to being a poacher.LOL. I went back and watched those fish feed for about a hour. I dreamed of dumb 10'' cutthroat that night.We left the next day.
We weren't really disappointed with anywhere we ate. Except the Pizza Hut in Cody where I promptly got food poisoning. Very pleased with Jackson Hole. A little expensive,but already planning on a trip back.
Lynn