Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 AM

Default Missouri River in October.

ok, guys and gals, i'm getting married Oct. the 7th and heading out to Craig, MT the following day for a little over a week with the wife for our honeymoon to do some trout fishing. This is our first trip out west, i know the Missouri can fish great, and i hope it does. I guess i'm just looking for some general info about the MO, patterns, what to expect early fall? Hopefully we can catch the start of the brown spawn? Spoke with Headhunters they said the fishing can be great that time of year, nymphs and dry's. I've also talked with Bill at LRO and he thought it would be a good time to fish, though he had not been out that late in the season. Have any of you fished the Missouri that time of year? information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:16 PM

We have not fished there in October but I have been there late in September. The fishing always seems to be good on the Missouri. Overall the torut average a little bigger then elsewhere in my opinion, but bare in mind most people don't think much of my opinion! My wife and I decided not to go out West this year. I was really looking forward to taking my drift boat and staying at Craig. While dries work you may find yourself indicator fishing a lot of the time. Flies like small Czech nymphs, small bead head soft hackle, fireflies and the like. The normal program is to use about a 4X leader with several small split shot a couple of feet above the fly. A dropper is tied on with about 5X tippet. It is not uncommon in my experience to have the indicator about 4 or 5 ft above the fist fly. I have a feeling this setup will normally always catch fish. It is not a bad idea if you are drifting to have two rods set up. One with the indactor rig and second with dries. This is what I normally do. As I said it seems to me the fish average larger in the Missouri, this is especially true above Craig to the dam, then elsewhere. They seem to fight harder too. Our best fish has been a 26 inch golden brown my wife landed. Best of luck.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:22 PM

Default the mighty Mo

Sorry but the latest I have fished it is late July, hopper and nymphs was great. Don't worry to much about what to use Headhunters will be able to give you the latest info and flys to use. Make sure you say hello to Mark, he is one of owners of Headhunters. All the local guides gather on the porch of HH at night and you can learn a ton of info from them.If you get a chance eat at Izaak's right next door to HH great food. Just wish I was going back myself. Good luck Bill Hudson

Last edited by drag line; 08-20-2012 at 11:32 PM..
Old 08-20-2012, 09:02 PM

We have been on the Mo three different times from mid july to early september to late October. We had Indian summer type weather on the October trip and while the standard nymph fare worked, the blue wing olives were pretty strong at the time. Don't forget to try some streamers too. I miss it.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:54 AM

Thanks guys! I appreciate the info. Mstone, streamers are going to be my go to fly, i'm really comfortable using them and probably the only flies that i will take out there that are my own original type patterns or variations of kelly galloup's flies . I've been fishing articulated streamer patterns a lot on the Clinch this year with some great results! So i'm hoping for the same out there, hopefully the trout will feel the same way. Bill, i have spoke a few times to Mark on the phone, super nice guy with tons of information, can't wait to meet him. We'll be staying I think directly across from HH at one of the cabins in the craig trout camp and Izaak's will be our primary source of food, glad to hear it tastes good, they also mentioned a taco stand we could eat breakfast at so i guess we'll be trying that as well. Trico, as for the size of the fish ill take your word on it, 26' is big any day in my book! hopefully we can try to catch our share of those 20+ inch trout. My soon to be wife one upped me this last fall in the park fishing the post spawn browns when she reeled in a 23' brown, my best so far is 22' on the Clinch. Hopefully we can set some personal bests out there, if not from what i've heard is pretty accurate to your description of strong fish that on average larger than most trout found in other streams. thanks for the advice on set ups and ill make sure to spend ample time up towards the dam.

Thanks,

Tyler
Old 08-21-2012, 07:39 PM

just an attempt to reply...........slide inn..........google it.......up near the slide area on the madison..........nice cabins..........perfect for the couples get together.....restaurants in west yellowstone...........use kelly gallops's streamers on the madison............it worked for me..........just saying...............
Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 AM

Yonder, it is on my list for sure. I'd love to try to book a trip with one of kelly's guys there in slide on the madison. it seems there is so little time and so many places to fish out west.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:11 PM

Tnstonefly, you will find the two cabins at the Trout Camp very nice. Izaaks has great food as you will find out. In fact many people come there from the surrounding towns. all of the fly shops will be helpful and provide you with useful information. You will have a great time. Let us know how you do.