Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Largest Conservation Issue for The Clinch River?
Run-off (Silt, Sedimentation, pH imbalances of Water, Etc.) 3 20.00%
Invasive Specie Threat (Striper, Etc.) 5 33.33%
Low Dissolved Oxygen Levels (TVA-low cfs rates, Climate, Natural Riparian Limitations) 2 13.33%
Fisheries Management (Stocking, Education, Enforcment, Fiscal Capabilities) 11 73.33%
Land Development (Sewage, Treated Water, Rainwater Runoff, Code Enforcment) 1 6.67%
The Clinch River is fine; there are not threats to its health! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 AM

I don't know that a jet boat won't be anything more than a new toy for the game wardens... most "offenders" park and walk to the water making them readily approachable by an officer patrolling on two feet.

By most accounts "offenders' are readily observed at the more popular areas closer to the dam then down to Millers. My son & his friends have never seen a warden and some of them have carried away a bucket of trout this year with many in the protect5ed slot length without a worry at all.

Sorry to call them "wardens" but that's what they are called in Maine where you can bet they are constantly on the prowl for violators and always seem to go the extra mile to make a bust. They are as thick as mosquitoes which serves as a deterant because you never know where they might be at any given time.

I don't know how many TWRA guys patrol a given area but have been on Douglas on a Saturday and seen as many as six at the Gator Point Marina enjoying the festivities, live music and fireworks, The Lakes seem to draw away their attention compared to stomping the banks of a tailwater and getting their boots dirty.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 AM

Another thing to consider is the body of water that is feeding the Clinch. Norris Lake is almost to clean. Ultra clean super cold water coming in limits the numbers and growth of bugs which in turn lowers the growth of the fish.

Honestly, I haven't fished the Clinch since March and will probably not go back until November or December. To crowded to really enjoy and the quality of the fish just can't match what I can find on the Holston or South Holston. I cut my teeth on the Clinch, but it ain't the same Clinch anymore.

If what has been stated about the Clinch TU Chapter is true, then they perhaps should engage in a restructuring of what the think and how they attack the issue. As I have learned in recent weeks, with proper leadership and funding, a lot can be done if they are willing to do the work to enact change. I am a member of the Little River Chapter now, but if they wanted to me to get involved, I would put my hands to work if it seemed that they were organized and had a static game plan.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No offense meant to anyone who is a member of the Clinch Chapter, but seeing how I was one a handful of people who founded the chapter I will proudly say I disavowed them sometime ago.

They took radical views that were not in tune with normal conservation views and sided with the bait slinger crowd known as LUCRO who spear headed the movement to remove the quality zone. The straw which broke their back was when they again sided on the side of the bait slingers and protested the current slot limits.

They have stood in the way of progress on the river for a good while now, and the only thing TU about them is their name.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but mine doesn't agree with yours, Waterwolf. There are two sides to every story; the quality zone issue is long, involved and sordid. And I don't want this to become a battle about that old fight, but there were some very questionable practices that went into its enactment, which is why the Clinch River Chapter didn't agree with it.

As to them being TU in name only, perhaps you are unaware of their excellent fly tying class held each year, or their outreach programs to attract youth to the sport in the form of a week long school at Tremont.

Personally, I think they embody what a Trout Unlimited chapter should be.

Paula
Old 08-22-2012, 12:55 PM

Thank you Paula. I am sure that they are doing all they can to fix whatever is wrong, or at least looking for answers. Once again, thanks.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:41 PM

Though I have nothing to contribute, I'm following this thread very closely. Subscribed.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Begley View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but mine doesn't agree with yours, Waterwolf. There are two sides to every story; the quality zone issue is long, involved and sordid. And I don't want this to become a battle about that old fight, but there were some very questionable practices that went into its enactment, which is why the Clinch River Chapter didn't agree with it.

As to them being TU in name only, perhaps you are unaware of their excellent fly tying class held each year, or their outreach programs to attract youth to the sport in the form of a week long school at Tremont.

Personally, I think they embody what a Trout Unlimited chapter should be.

Paula
There was a bunch of spin thrown out during the QZ debate that would remind all of us what goes on daily during our national political races. All of the BS about not contacting landowners, ramming it through in the middle of the night etc etc, was just that it was BS. Fortunately I was involved in the process and none of that stuff occurred.

What happened was, none of the bait slingers were paying attention and TWRA passed a law which they didnt agree with.

Thus came the threat of a Private Act by the slingers to make their own laws, and TWRA back down.

That is the short version.

About the Clinch Chapter....I do not consider fly tying classes part of a conservation organization. Maybe great for a fly fishing club, but a conservation organization should focus on conservation, and not recreational activities.

One of their esteemed board members with the initials of B.S. has had numerous fiery run ins on the Clinch where he was openly violating the slot, and boasting about it in public. That is not a characteristic of a conservation organization.

The simple fact they were absent on the push to help support TWRA and the new slot limit is all the evidence it should take to illustrate where their loyalties are, and that they do not seem to care one iota about the health or future of the Clinch.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator

I said I didn't want this to turn into a battle about that, Waterwolf.

The point I was trying to subtly make is I don't want you (or anyone else) bashing the Clinch River Chapter on this forum. Now, is that clear enough? Stop it. You have your opinion. I don't share it. Move on, please. Capisce?

If this keeps coming up, this topic will be removed; that would be a shame because the issues that face the Clinch should be discussed. And they can be, without bashing the Clinch River Chapter, or any of its members, or rehashing the past. When the question was asked, you could just as easily have said, "I don't know what the Clinch River stand would be, maybe if they have members on here they'll chime in." Your comments were unnecessary. Both times.

Paula
Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Begley View Post
I said I didn't want this to turn into a battle about that, Waterwolf.

The point I was trying to subtly make is I don't want you (or anyone else) bashing the Clinch River Chapter on this forum. Now, is that clear enough? Stop it. You have your opinion. I don't share it. Move on, please. Capisce?

If this keeps coming up, this topic will be removed; that would be a shame because the issues that face the Clinch should be discussed. And they can be, without bashing the Clinch River Chapter, or any of its members, or rehashing the past. When the question was asked, you could just as easily have said, "I don't know what the Clinch River stand would be, maybe if they have members on here they'll chime in." Your comments were unnecessary. Both times.

Paula
Understood, and this has hijacked a good topic where real issues were being discussed.

Just one thing that should be said. Maybe an open air conversation should be had and maybe changes can occur to have a valuable ally to help the Clinch moving forward. If all of this is kept hush hush, then nothing will ever change.

You know me better than to think I would just stay quiet
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Understood, and this has hijacked a good topic where real issues were being discussed.

Just one thing that should be said. Maybe an open air conversation should be had and maybe changes can occur to have a valuable ally to help the Clinch moving forward. If all of this is kept hush hush, then nothing will ever change.

Again; my intent with starting this topic was not inflammatory. I desire to solicit the opinions and thoughts of fellow fishermen/women on how to make the Clinch River a better ecosystem. Everyone has an opinion and it should be heard. However; I hope that our ideas can voiced as constructive and not condescending.

I am actually a bit surprised to see fisheries mgmt. as being the biggest threat/concern to the Clinch River's Conservation.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post

I'd be thrilled for you to reach a detente with the Clinch River Chapter; one way to start in that direction is to adjust your attitude. And you know me better than to think I will tolerate comments like yours on this board. That. Is the last word on that.

MadisonBoats please carry on. I appreciate you opening a dialog. I'm sure from this point forward everyone who participates in the discussion will do so with the site rules, particularly #6, in mind.

Paula