Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 08-19-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I was hoping you would post some pics. If anyone knows how to catch stripers on a fly in East TN it is you and that trash bird who sometimes stops in here.

You both deserve credit for doing something consistently that so many think is impossible.
Seagull stuck the needle in my arm and addicted me!!!! Hard not to be good when you hang out with the best!

We all have to get TWRA on our side with this or we can carp about it for years until the trout fishing goes down and all the work done to get slots/regs on the Clinch or surrounding tailwaters was for squat! i say get off this site and write your TWRA officials and ask for help on this problem. Seems to me the officials of Anderson Co. would get involved because to lose the trout is to lose the extra revenue pumped into the county from guys coming into fish, eat , and sleep in Anderson Co..
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM

Soo,, Striper are new to our Tailwaters?? I remember some absolutely banner Trout years on many of our tailwaters (with special emphasis on the Cumberland river in KY). The TN state record Striper came from the lake below Wolf Creek dam and I can tell you with authority that large schools of Striper have been moving though that river system all the way to the Dam for many, many, years. Were they just dieting back then?? Why you guys would kill such a hard fighting and wonderful sport fish because you think they are responsible for a declining fishery is beyond me. It reminds me of the Salem witch hunts. The entity's that are controlling the water through our dams, and the construction projects (Caney and Cumby) or lack of construction projects (Emory River) is what's doing the most damage to our MANY Fishery's health. Where's the outrage over that??

Before you keep promoting the unethical practices and thinking you're making a change,, (hey they only stocked 400,000 Striper in many of the lakes in tn in 2011) you should consider that there are alot of Striper and wanna be Striper fishermen out there. So don't be surprised when they take the same attitude towards trout as you do with Striper.

Yes, I've caught my share of Trout and trophy Striper on the fly and I can certainly speak on the subject with plenty of experience to backe it up.

Last edited by Mike_Anderson; 08-22-2012 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Removed inflammatory language. Paula
Old 08-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Mike comparing the clinch with the Cumberland or the Caney is apples and oranges.

The Cumberland is vastly longer and larger than the Clinch and so is the Caney.

The Clinch being only 13 miles long makes it a much easier place for stripers to target trout.

Also the Cumberland and Caney both support large shad populations which take the pressure off the trout. The Clinch has no shad population at all, and the stripers feed 100% on trout.

Basically your opinion would be great if the river systems were even comparable.

As many like me have said over and over, we like stripers, but stripers who live where their only food source is a game fish and an expensive one at that, they have to go.

I would love to hear what is unethical about killing and eating a legally caught legal limit of fish. Calling that unethical is quite a stretch.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 PM

My post was directed at the notion that the two can't co exist. They have been for many years. It just so happens that trout are fragile little gems that don't tolerate water quality issues, Striper simply don't have that problem. The biggest hit to our Trout stocking this year happened at the DH hatchery. I haven't heard much complaining about that.

I guess I've just heard so many excuses for our "artificial" Trout fisheries suffering (Otters, Osprey, Heron, too much water, too little water, too low DO, Didymo, silt, too warm water, too cold water, too drastic temp change, striper, grout, understocking, bait dunkers, foul hooking, bucket brigades, yada yada. ) that I've become jaded. I honestly think if you could go to any tailwater and catch 5 20"ers every trip people would still complain. Again, this isn't meant to be inflammatory.

Last edited by Mike_Anderson; 08-22-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 10:13 PM

Mike,
Actually it's the dang otters stirring up the didymo AND the silt, along with the nasty baitfishing bank fishermen peeing in the river causing temp changes!

BTW....just where are those five 20" trout hanging out?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Anderson View Post
My post was directed at the notion that the two can't co exist. They have been for many years. It just so happens that trout are fragile little gems that don't tolerate water quality issues, Striper simply don't have that problem. The biggest hit to our Trout stocking this year happened at the DH hatchery. I haven't heard much complaining about that.

I guess I've just heard so many excuses for our "artificial" Trout fisheries suffering (Otters, Osprey, Heron, too much water, too little water, too low DO, Didymo, silt, too warm water, too cold water, too drastic temp change, striper, grout, understocking, bait dunkers, foul hooking, bucket brigades, yada yada. ) that I've become jaded. I honestly think if you could go to any tailwater and catch 5 20"ers every trip people would still complain. Again, this isn't meant to be inflammatory.
In the Clinch the two can't coexist, that is a fact. Again, since you missed it earlier, there is NOTHING but trout for food for them in the Clinch, period. I have cleaned about 70 stripers over the past 3 years and the least amount of trout in one's stomach was 9.

It is naive to think they have no impact on the fishery, especially when combined with a very liberal 7 fish limit for humans with zero enforcement.

As long as a resource has the potential that the Clinch does and it is not being fully realized then there is reason to want the best out of what we have in this state. Settling for mediocre is unacceptable, especially when small tweaks could result in major beneficial impacts.

Again stripers are fine in areas where the food source keeps their sights off of the gamefish community. However, in areas where gamefish are the only prey base, then they must die, and I personally will continue to slaughter each one which I can get my hands on, until they exist no more in the Clinch.

Last edited by Paula Begley; 08-23-2012 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Removed challenging/inflammatory/remarks. Stop doing it. Paula
Old 08-23-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
In the Clinch the two can't coexist, that is a fact. Again, since you missed it earlier, there is NOTHING but trout for food for them in the Clinch, period. I have cleaned about 70 stripers over the past 3 years and the least amount of trout in one's stomach was 9.

It is naive to think they have no impact on the fishery, especially when combined with a very liberal 7 fish limit for humans with zero enforcement.

As long as a resource has the potential that the Clinch does and it is not being fully realized then there is reason to want the best out of what we have in this state. Settling for mediocre is unacceptable, especially when small tweaks could result in major beneficial impacts.

Again stripers are fine in areas where the food source keeps their sights off of the gamefish community. However, in areas where gamefish are the only prey base, then they must die, and I personally will continue to slaughter each one which I can get my hands on, until they exist no more in the Clinch.
Agreed! Unfortunately; I think the striper populations and heavy presence on the upper Clinch this year have really depleted the trout stock in certain areas. The effects will be noticeable for years to come.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by Paula Begley; 08-23-2012 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Quoted post edited. Paula
Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM

To each his own. Carry on with your witch hunt. I'll let you in on a little secret though. It's posts like these that are showing up all around the web that are going to hurt the Clinch Trout more then the Striper. A below average striper fisherman can catch 20 or 30 Trout to your one striper and I know they are watching these posts. Just something to think about.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 AM

There are 2 lakes, Buggs Island Reservoir VA and Santee Cooper SC, that are able to contain a self sustained population of land locked Stripers. One of the main criteria that have to be met are for there to be a continuous flow of river to allow 48 hours for the roe to free float to arrive at the static water before hatching. I live on Buggs Island and nearby we have the Vic Thomas hatchery where they supply the majority of stocker Stripers to the rest of the U.S. They exchange these with other states for various other species to stock here in VA. They don't put any Stipers back in here.
As far as temp, they like colder water, but, the surface temp now is at 76 F and they crash the points for Threadfin Shad in the evenings so they tolerate warmer water just fine.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
There are 2 lakes, Buggs Island Reservoir VA and Santee Cooper SC, that are able to contain a self sustained population of land locked Stripers. One of the main criteria that have to be met are for there to be a continuous flow of river to allow 48 hours for the roe to free float to arrive at the static water before hatching. I live on Buggs Island and nearby we have the Vic Thomas hatchery where they supply the majority of stocker Stripers to the rest of the U.S. They exchange these with other states for various other species to stock here in VA. They don't put any Stipers back in here.
As far as temp, they like colder water, but, the surface temp now is at 76 F and they crash the points for Threadfin Shad in the evenings so they tolerate warmer water just fine.
I've read reports that striper will follow bait anywhere. Even when the bait goes into level of water that does not have enough oxygen for their survival. The bait will stay in this level not to get eatin and in turn die from lack of oxygen. The stripers will follow suit with their focus on eating them and in turn die also. Their focus is one thing, eating. Trout have much more protein.I believe where oyu have trout and shad the striper will pick the trout everytime.
I have a friend who striper fishes. He does great with shad patterns @ Ft.Loudon Dam but when he fishes Tellico below the dam and down stream he only does well on rainbow lures especially the larger fish.I think the proof is in the pudding.
Lynn