Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Default Original (graphite) Orvis Far & Fine

Ok, I realize it ain't bamboo or fiberglass, but having fished and owned rods in both of those materials, I have yet to find a rod so versatile and easy to cast/fish as the Original graphite Far & Fine, 7'9" 5wt with the staggered sleeve ferrule and unsanded natural graphite blank. I like this rod so much that I now own 3 of them (call me a nut). One is being held back as a collector, and two are for fishing! I have an '86 model with an uplocking reelseat over a cork insert that weighs only 2 1/4 oz and balances perfectly with an Orvis BBS III reel. This rod is even fun, I recently discovered with Appalachian Strain Brookies, and nay too much club for 'em! The other, 'fisher' is a '95 model with the black uplocking hardware and wood reel seat (2 5/8 oz) that I really like for light warmwater applications with various reels including an old Orvis Clearwater lined up with a WF6F line! These rods will handle 4-6wt lines with ease and have a really surprising amount of power in the butt for fish fighting. Near weightless in the hand, gracefull in close with power to comfortably reach out to 60'. What else could one ask for in a great all-around-Trout rod? Certainly a modern "classic"! If you can find one, grab it!

Mike
2Timothy2:15
Old 04-15-2012, 10:53 PM

Thanks for the heads up app. Where you been, your cell number still the same?

Old 04-16-2012, 01:45 PM

I have always wanted to fish one of these but have yet to do so. I currently own and fish a TFO 7'9" 5wt. finesse and from what I have researched it is fairly similar to the superfine. The TFO is a pretty sensitive little rod, light in weight, 4 pc., and I have caught everything from brookies to big browns on it. It excels as a dry fly rod but will throw a shad pattern on the tailwater in a pinch. Unfortunatelty, I just don't see myself ever getting the Orvis even though I still would like one. I just don't fish short rods that much and the fact that they are still going for $200-$300 on eBay sure doesn't help...

Tight Lines,
Old 04-16-2012, 02:28 PM

My favorite fly rod that I own is an old Orvis Superfine Tight Loop (8' 4 weight) and is a joy to fish. Those old Superfines are truly amazing rods...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM

How different are these compared to the sanded series from '05? I have two superfines from this series that I like but wouldn't rate them as the best rod ever... I also have one of the old clearwater rods from '90 I believe, which is unsanded. Again, great feeling rod made with the superfine blank but I just don't feel I 'need' to run out and buy another one. Is the old Far & Fine really so much different then these other rods or is a lot of it just reputation? I have been trying to track down a 7'11" for a while now so if any, that would probably be the one I would go after...

Tight Lines,
Old 04-16-2012, 07:13 PM

The new rods are much different in my opinion. They cast beautifully but are faster than the old ones and just not as unique to fish...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-10-2012, 10:07 AM

I have one of the Orvis original One Ounce graphite rods...that is when my son has not poached it...this rod was scary when I first picked it up...great small stream brookie rod but I have also landed a 14" brown and a 16" rainbow on it...one thing for sure, you don't get arm weary from casting this all day...this was the first Orvis rod I purchased and it is still a great fishing experience today.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:59 PM

Try a TFO finesse 2 weight.......lots of fun!!!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:12 PM

I had the chance to fish an orvis 2 weight for smallmouth and sunfish on the new river.......very impressive...and lots of fun........this is a great rod........highly recommended........
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM

Thought I would bump the tread......fish with what you you like.......like what you fish with.......I fished the past two days with a japanese bamboo fly rod........and I enjoyed it ..........good accurate casts........lots of fun.......