Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

View Poll Results: Largest Conservation Issue for The Clinch River?
Run-off (Silt, Sedimentation, pH imbalances of Water, Etc.) 3 20.00%
Invasive Specie Threat (Striper, Etc.) 5 33.33%
Low Dissolved Oxygen Levels (TVA-low cfs rates, Climate, Natural Riparian Limitations) 2 13.33%
Fisheries Management (Stocking, Education, Enforcment, Fiscal Capabilities) 11 73.33%
Land Development (Sewage, Treated Water, Rainwater Runoff, Code Enforcment) 1 6.67%
The Clinch River is fine; there are not threats to its health! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Shawn, how many members of your TU Chapter are on the same page with you and have you guys got a list of things that need to be done? I would treat it like eating an elephant...one bite at a time...smallest and easiest fixes first. To improve any fishery, or restore one for that matter, takes a lot of effort and the Clinch is a big run of water. The way I see it, the first things you might want to consider is water quality, pushing for the enforcement of the slot limit, doing a lot of striper fishing, and compiling a list of the most troublesome spots. I don't fish the Clinch as much as I used to, but the area around the church has slowed quite a bit in the past couple of years, obviously the area from Peach Orchard to the 75 bridge has herds of stripers as well as people line up on the boat ramp with enough corn out in the water to feed a herd of cattle-blocking the ramp etc., miller island is/or at least was didymo heaven, and from there up you have folks by the multitude who are ignoring the slot limit. Trash is rampant at times, and the crowds are concentrated in these areas because of ease of access.

Can't stop people from fishing. It is their right I a am thankful for that right, but many who visit this body of water are not following the rules of the game.

Another thought is the water quality of Norris. No doubt the cleanest body of water in the TVA system which, at least in my thinking, reduces the amount of biomass particulates that filter into the water as it becomes the Clinch.

I am a member of the LRTU, and spoke recently about the trouble in Yellowstone. Having been hands on in the efforts to restore Yellowstone Lake, I see that bringing back what once was, to a degree, is impossible when you are dealing with other species, but if you are willing to commit yourself to it, and others will get on board, you can make a noticeable improvement. It will be like herding cats at times, but it can happen.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM

So I fished ABOVE the wier today (first canoe access down from dam) and there were tons of young guys and a few older fellows like me.... YUP I took a skunk as I forgot my midge box, dropped a couple and broke off two on quasi's.

Met a few guys from this forum and watched Danny kick butt next to me with many fine fish.

AFTER we all ran for our lives at 10 AM I saw a guy clean several slot sized fish on the concrete wall at the canoe launch; he filleted them and threw the leftovers in the river.... he did this in front of about a dozen of us and most didn't seem to care.

Maybe he reads this... I have a fillet knife too but it works best on cleaning tires.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:49 PM

Corbo do you not have a cell phone?

You have been on here preaching for weeks, and when given a lay oppty you walk away to post it up on a forum.

Did you even confront the guy?

Unbelievable...
Old 09-02-2012, 07:15 AM

Waterwolf

MY fillet knife was home, as are my pistols and I don't have a badge, nor do I work for the TWRA and my cell was in my truck AND there were at least a dozen who saw this guy.

When I mentioned it to some of the guys they said it happens all the time and that they caught no shortage of fish because of it.

I had never fished this spot before and likely won't again as it's too much like fishing a pond BUT there were easily 25 people fishing there and one would think it would be easy pickings for a TWRA guy to check them all out at 10 AM when they all headed to the parking lot. The guy in question had his catch in a bucket. There was another guy with two fish who was posing for pictures.

Get me a badge; I own the guns and we won't need any handcuffs as I have some 4/0 hooks.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Waterwolf and Corbo, One of the guys there did confront the person who had the 2 slot fish and his excuse was that he thought that since they were dead that it was ok. I told him that I had asked a twra person that very question (i.e. dead because of being foulhooked in the gills, etc...not from being on a stringer for several hours as was the case here) and he said that they still had to be released. the guy didn't seem too concerned even when we mentioned how expensive these fsh could be. I have tried to "educate" several slot busters over time with some honest mistakes being realized and some people tellng me to mind my own business.

Mike
Old 09-02-2012, 01:40 PM

What I gather from what I have been reading in the last few posts, TWRA would be the first target. Knowing when the most anglers would be coming of the river (generation schedule), those who have not followed the law would be easy pickings. Does anyone know what the leadership of the Clinch TU chapter has done as far as communication with TWRA? If the presence was felt, and the pocketbook was directly impacted, perhaps that would at least offer a slight defence. Sounds like we need the TWRA to step up on multiple levels and the only heat they will feel is if you can get their leadership engaged.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:13 PM

If you are scared of standing up for what is right, and it doesn't require a weapon just a spine, then at least take 1 minute when you get to the car and make a call to TWRA.

I am sorry but it just isn't hard to wait with them on the line until the guy gets to his vehicle, pass on the tag number and hang up. Let them do their job with solid info.

All cell phones have cameras and most have video capabilities, it would be easy to get evidence which would be powerful if just a little empathy was shown towards the resource and others who enjoy it.

I can assure you that the guys I know in this thread including me have done the above over and over, because we legitimately care. I am not saying you don't care, but complaining here while doing nothing there won't stop or solve anything.

Preaching about conservation while turning a blind eye to blatant poaching is hypocritical and we all should strive to help TWRA and the river when these lay up opportunities occur.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 PM

The "honest mistakes" mentioned above was a nice way of calling the people ignorant or not being able to read. The people ( 2 incidences ) who told me to mnd my own business actually told me where to go, which is no big deal,(in my younger and healthier days would have resulted in a butt kicking) but I did let my finger do the work and did call TWRA right in front of them which both times resulted in some name calling and a hasty departure on their part.

Mike
Old 09-03-2012, 06:59 AM

Varmit & Waterwolf

My question: Are you members of the Clinch River TU Chapter? If not why not?

I am a life member of TU and still technically a member of the Kennebec Chapter in Maine though I have lived here two years...

I would likely transfer my membership to the Clinch if someone invited me.

BTW... I do not have a "camera" in my phone or carry one fishing as I fall often while wading, fused right foot ankle.... easy to notice me as I carry a large aluminum wading staff that is also my only means of self-defense.

"Confronting" folks who violate the law is best left to Law Enforcement; I will not do their job for them if they don't care enough to be there. I have been the victim of violent crime and it changed my life in a bad way so I don't stir up the mud with people.... one of them might cause serious injury.... I would carry a freaking Glock as they are more water-proof but I would be embarrassed to be seen with one.

You guys wanna meet up next Saturday at the Clinch I bring guns for everyone and will make citizen's arrests on all the violators?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Varmit & Waterwolf

My question: Are you members of the Clinch River TU Chapter? If not why not?

I am a life member of TU and still technically a member of the Kennebec Chapter in Maine though I have lived here two years...

I would likely transfer my membership to the Clinch if someone invited me.

BTW... I do not have a "camera" in my phone or carry one fishing as I fall often while wading, fused right foot ankle.... easy to notice me as I carry a large aluminum wading staff that is also my only means of self-defense.

"Confronting" folks who violate the law is best left to Law Enforcement; I will not do their job for them if they don't care enough to be there. I have been the victim of violent crime and it changed my life in a bad way so I don't stir up the mud with people.... one of them might cause serious injury.... I would carry a freaking Glock as they are more water-proof but I would be embarrassed to be seen with one.

You guys wanna meet up next Saturday at the Clinch I bring guns for everyone and will make citizen's arrests on all the violators?

I was one of the handful of people that founded the Clinch river chapter of TU eons ago.

This has NOTHING to do with TU.

Pentax and Olympus make excellent waterproof cameras, that are very affordable.

I understand not wanting to get directly involved by confrontation, that is not for the faint of heart. So the question remains why didn't you call when you got to your vehicle?

I have plenty of guns, and since I am in a boat 90% of the time, I am usually armed on the river.

Preaching about TU this and TU that is hollow rhetoric. All the regs, stream management, flow management, etc etc are completely worthless if the river is full of angler who poach and deplete the resource against posted rules.

Keep in mind, these people that poach are stealing from all the rest of us who buy licenses. If you knew someone was breaking into your neighbors house would you just look the other way?