Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM

Cockeye

I feel your pain; five back surgeries myself and now it seems that after an hour IN the river I'm distracted too much by the pain to totally enjoy the fishing..... but I suffer with a smile. I often wear TWO back braces while I fish you might find using them to be helpful. Virtually always use a wading staff as I have had my right foot ankle re-built two times last three years so no balance the rocks any more.

I admire all the guys who still love to get out and fly fish despite getting older and a bit broken down.... a couple years ago my sister-in-law commented one day how "I was lucky because I still love to fly fish just like I did as a kid and was still actively passionate about it."

Isn't it great that we enjoy something so much that as we age we don't just sit home and watch somebody else doing it on TV?

I'm available to fish the Clinch thursday morning if anyone wants to hook up; gotta to pop corn at the rod runs in PF fri thru sunday. Want to fish the lower back end of Millers Island if anyone can make it.

Fished with Danny two saturdays ago (in the slooooow water above the weir at the first canoe access) and watched him kick butt with sparse zebras in olive and black with tung beads. I took my first skunk in a decade mostly because I left my midge box at home and managed to LDR on four fish and popped two at the tippet knot!

Been throwing a tiger colored bunny streamer I created on the Holston (at Nance's) that works gang busters in fast deep troughs but so far Clinch trout ignore it for some reason.... almost seems like Clinch Trout are a mystery to me a times on streamers but I'm not ready to quit trying.

Wondering what the trout take your simple marabou streamer to be? A sculpin maybe? What size hook? Most of my Clinch fish this year are coming from Quasi's in size 16 and 18 regardless of time of day but last two trips I've focused on chucking and ducking with streamers looking for pigs to no avail.

I have caught better fish on the Clinch than the SOHO but like the dry fly action up there EXCEPT when the bite is on those little larvae black flies just under the film.... just not figured a consistent means to fool them when that occurs though small griff knats dragged under sometimes work....frustrating.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Cockeye

I feel your pain; five back surgeries myself and now it seems that after an hour IN the river I'm distracted too much by the pain to totally enjoy the fishing..... but I suffer with a smile. I often wear TWO back braces while I fish you might find using them to be helpful. Virtually always use a wading staff as I have had my right foot ankle re-built two times last three years so no balance the rocks any more.

I admire all the guys who still love to get out and fly fish despite getting older and a bit broken down.... a couple years ago my sister-in-law commented one day how "I was lucky because I still love to fly fish just like I did as a kid and was still actively passionate about it."

Isn't it great that we enjoy something so much that as we age we don't just sit home and watch somebody else doing it on TV?

I'm available to fish the Clinch thursday morning if anyone wants to hook up; gotta to pop corn at the rod runs in PF fri thru sunday. Want to fish the lower back end of Millers Island if anyone can make it.

Fished with Danny two saturdays ago (in the slooooow water above the weir at the first canoe access) and watched him kick butt with sparse zebras in olive and black with tung beads. I took my first skunk in a decade mostly because I left my midge box at home and managed to LDR on four fish and popped two at the tippet knot!

Been throwing a tiger colored bunny streamer I created on the Holston (at Nance's) that works gang busters in fast deep troughs but so far Clinch trout ignore it for some reason.... almost seems like Clinch Trout are a mystery to me a times on streamers but I'm not ready to quit trying.

Wondering what the trout take your simple marabou streamer to be? A sculpin maybe? What size hook? Most of my Clinch fish this year are coming from Quasi's in size 16 and 18 regardless of time of day but last two trips I've focused on chucking and ducking with streamers looking for pigs to no avail.

I have caught better fish on the Clinch than the SOHO but like the dry fly action up there EXCEPT when the bite is on those little larvae black flies just under the film.... just not figured a consistent means to fool them when that occurs though small griff knats dragged under sometimes work....frustrating.
Corbo, its funny what works on some waters and not on others. Then some flies work all over the place. As far as what the fish take it for is probaly a minnow or perhaps a damsel or dragonfly. It may just be the action it puts off. I use size 10 2xl most of the time. Sometimes I go smaller on a bright day. I do really good as the water is dropping above the weir with it. After it drops out it's like fishing in a pond but you have a chance @ hooking a really good trout. I love it.
Lynn
Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Thanks guys,

Corbo, you and Lynn are very helpful. I sling a copperhead nymph that is very similar to a quasi-moto I sling up north but never considered trying it on the Clinch. The copperhead is tied with a cock-de-leon tail, very small d-rib, dubbing, flash (tinsel) and partridge front legs. I have had good success on the Clinch with it but not much lately.
I will try a quasi this week and hopefully I can tie up some bugger like Lynn described.

Thanks also for the encouragement about staying in the water. I average 45 trips a year, this year my next will 26. I understand how fortunate I am to get that many trips in and will not complain.

I'd like to hook up with you and Lynn. I'm a member of Clinch T.U. and will be attending the meeting this week. Either of you belong ? Maybe we could hook up for a beverage and talk about the Clinch.

B.t.w.
When I am fully recovered, I plan to go back to the So.Ho. and am happy to have pals.

c.v.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
Corbo, you and Lynn are very helpful. I sling a copperhead nymph that is very similar to a quasi-moto I sling up north but never considered trying it on the Clinch. The copperhead is tied with a cock-de-leon tail, very small d-rib, dubbing, flash (tinsel) and partridge front legs. I have had good success on the Clinch with it but not much lately.
I will try a quasi this week and hopefully I can tie up some bugger like Lynn described.

Thanks also for the encouragement about staying in the water. I average 45 trips a year, this year my next will 26. I understand how fortunate I am to get that many trips in and will not complain.

I'd like to hook up with you and Lynn. I'm a member of Clinch T.U. and will be attending the meeting this week. Either of you belong ? Maybe we could hook up for a beverage and talk about the Clinch.

B.t.w.
When I am fully recovered, I plan to go back to the So.Ho. and am happy to have pals.

c.v.
CV, sorry not a member of T.U. Clinch or otherwise. Let my membership lapse with the birth of my son and never got back in. I do plan on getting back to T.U. now that my son is 8 now. I was a member of Little River and will probley go back there.I have thought about visiting the Clinch chapter though. On a fishing note The South Holsten was where I first tried dead drifting small streamers. Had a banner day when I noticed alot of small bait fish in the grass. I figured the trout were used to seeing them.
Lynn
Old 09-12-2012, 08:25 PM

Cockeyed,
Introduce yourself sometime to me on the river. I look like Brad Pitt but I am older, fatter, poorer, and drive an old Chevy truck. Come to think of it maybe I look like his grandfather!

Do a couple of things for me and see if this helps.......and I don't mean to be sarcastic....but generally fishing woes can be cured easily and without narcotics or antibiotics. I'm not saying you do this BUT these are observation from an old fart, and old farts can teach you, if you listen.

1. No more than two backcast PERIOD
2. Learn to tie a nail knot instead of that silly loop on loop crap that slaps the water as it enters, or beg Dragline on here for one of his homemade woven leaders. Taper your leaders. I have seen guys fishing 1x with a 6x tippet of only a foot attached! Do you think Jordon got good at games? practice your casting.
3. Make your leaders a minimum of 12 ft.. Add length as you gain control.
4. Save up your money and get rid of those TN orange or yellow flylines or anything else that I or a trout can see for 50 yards away! That includes your hat, shirts, etc
5. Enter the water carefully and watch a blue heron for about 5 min....learn to stalk your "run" thinking there is a fish in there. Don't march up to it and start casting away. Google ... lateral line
6. Seek darker water. Between the rocks, runs, and above all else the bass fisherman's dream.......structure.
7. 6x is your friend with nymphs, your enemy with streamers...4x there.
8. Pull up grass and learn what the grocery store has to offer the trout.
9. NEVER EVER line a fish in calm slack water. Fish downstream if you have to. Short cast, then strip and wiggle excess line out to present the fly in a steady state float.
10. If these don't work......well then just curse and blame it on the moon, weather, or stripers! These are fish, they have a brain, although small it still has millions of neurons which are faster than this piece of crap I am typing on!

Tip of the day........#16-18 gray Craneflies on the lower Clinch yesterday were hatching. Check out an old book by Dave Whitlock..Guide to Aquatic Trout Foods.

I also saw two sulphurs hatching.....going to be a lonely night for those fellows! Never show up to a party late, all the pretty girls are taken!