Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Default Saw a COOL thing yesterday on the Clinch

My wife and I floated the Clinch yesterday. We saw a mature bald eagle about a mile below Peach Orchard. He flew to a tree and sat there as we approached over about ten minutes. About the time we got close to him he flew but not because we spooked him but because an osprey was coming down the river with a fish in it's talons! the eagle kept dogging the osprey in what looked like a fighter jet on the tail of another jet cutting circles, swooping, and circling for a good 3-5 minutes, until the osprey dropped the fish! The eagle banked hard left and down and caught the fish mid air and flew off to a dead tree. The osprey flew off surely thinking "what the H*$# just happened?"!

Best thing I have seen on a river in years!

I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM

wish I had seen it!
Old 09-12-2012, 11:58 PM

Great story! I have heard of this happening but never witnessed it myself. Pretty cool that you got to see it...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Way cool! Great story.
Lynn
Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM

I would have enjoyed seeing that also. I've noticed several bald eagles on the French Broad this year also. had one fly over my head one day while wading the little pigeon back in the spring. I'm wondering if they have been releasing some from Dollywood's rehab facility again like they did a few years ago on Douglas lake or if these are just birds that have returned from somewhere up north.