Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 AM

Post Brown/Brook Trout: Spawning Notes

Brown/Brook Trout: Spawning Notes

Many of you know that the brown & brook trout are pre-spawning or spawning right now and will continue through November. Although most of their efforts are in vain on the Clinch; I would love to see them have the best opportunity for results. I personally prefer catching brown trout. However; I am aware that this time of year is technically less sporting in catching them due to their vulnerability while spawning.

Here are some things I think we should consider and promote:
  • Do not harvest any browns during this time frame [Sept-Mar].
  • Obey the Clear Creek Off-Limits Zone.
    Quote:
    TWRA Trout Regulation: Clear Creek (tributary to Clinch River— Anderson Co.) Closed to fishing and minnow seining from Hwy. 441 upstream to the second dam (adjacent to the city of Norris water tower), as posted from Nov. 1–Mar. 31.
    [Report or post pictures of fishermen would are not honorable to this TWRA Regulation]*I know many fish mongers sneak in there at night and pull out numerous browns that are spawning. Also; I have witnessed many fly fishermen at the mouth of the creek targeting the spawners. It my mind; this is not sporting and is a lousy representation of one's fishing ethic.
  • Pay special attention to rehabilitate a caught brown before releasing them as they are in a fatigued state because of spawning/courtship.
  • Report violations by calling the TWRA Region 4 Office at (423) 587-7037. You may get a voice-mail que; leave a message anyhow to note/flag the issue for the officers to get public feedback on areas they need to focus on.
  • Be mindful of stepping of standing/fishing on any redds. Not that this is a huge issue; but, something to keep in mind in hopes that there could be some reproduction.
  • Post in this topic your descriptions of violators and tips!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-12-2012, 10:29 AM

ok i get what you are trying to do and its great.heck i like to catch big trout too.

but maybe we should stop/ban fishing for all bass during the spawn? crappie,walleye,etc,etc.

but why are we being soo dang protective over a non-native fish.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white95v6 View Post
ok i get what you are trying to do and its great.heck i like to catch big trout too.

but maybe we should stop/ban fishing for all bass during the spawn? crappie,walleye,etc,etc.

but why are we being soo dang protective over a non-native fish.
Basically, it is like hunting deer with spotlights. Or it is like hunting elk in comparison to deer-based on economy of scale in regards to habitat and specie.
  • The fish are extremely vulnerable to dying when caught (exhaustion, decreased protective instincts, etc.).
  • Yes, there is a nil chance that their spawning efforts may be successful. However; it is a thoughtful step in promoting the effort made by this fish.
  • Also; I find it less sportsmanlike to exploit a fish at its most naive state of natural behavior.
Also; most of the fish fly fisherman target are non-native. So; we must promote conservation, education, activism, etc. to ensure that there will continue to be a productive habitat to fish.

Additionally; brown trout are an extreme minority on the Clinch Tailwater and others. Their protection is crucial to their promotion as a sporting species.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-12-2012, 05:52 PM

good explaination. like i said i am with ya for the most part. i enjoy catching trout(even though not on a fly rod).
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM

The other day I accidentally stepped on a scud.
I held it facing upriver trying to revive it but my attempt was futile.
So, I went home and lit black candles and couldn't even eat or drink anything for 20 mins..

4X
Old 09-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
The other day I accidentally stepped on a scud.
How could you!?!?!?
Old 09-14-2012, 04:43 PM

Talking

Wouldn't fishing for spawning trout be more akin to hunting rutting deer or gobbling turkeys? There is nothing unsporting about it. People should do what they want. I would prefer they catch and release, but if they don't want to they don't have to...
Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guthook View Post
Wouldn't fishing for spawning trout be more akin to hunting rutting deer or gobbling turkeys? There is nothing unsporting about it. People should do what they want. I would prefer they catch and release, but if they don't want to they don't have to...
Right. And people don't have to follow laws or go to church or do anything they don't want to. .........But there are consequences.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:32 PM

Easy there Scott. That was quite a jump in logic you took there. Nothing I mentioned was illegal.

And coincidentally, people don't have to go to church... and there are no consequences.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:35 PM

I could care less if folks fish for spawning fish, it is up to each individual to do what they want as long as it is legal.

I have done it, and anyone who feels it is easy is mistaken. It takes incredible skill and luck to be successful, and 99% of the fisherman will fail.

What would erk me, is the poor handling I see examples of all the time being employed on spawning fish, or really any caught fish. There is nothing more rampant than mishandling of fish which are meant to be released. Look around this board from time to time for clear examples. I have fished with a few over the past couple of years that are as bad as any when it comes to properly handling a fish which is meant to be released.