Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-15-2012, 10:18 PM

Default Seriously?

Fished the PO on the Clinch today and saw two different fellows killing several slot fish.... one cleaned, beheaded and gutted down river from the launch and Shawn took pictures. Perhaps he will post them here. One was a good sized rainbow head the other was the guts from a brown with eggs.

I have about had it with TWRA.... do they exist? What sense is there having "rules" if they can be easily and blatantly violated?

Isn't it against the law to disfigure a fish to make it difficult to determine it's length? Why are there not a bunch of large "interpretive signs" alomg the river so idiots who cannot read the law book have some idea as to the fines? Guess the chances of getting busted are zero.

These gutted fish would be so easily hidden in the boats used by the lawbreakers that I'm certain TWRA would not easily have found them.

The game wardens in Maine were totally committed to catching fish & game thieves and the penalties there were extremely pricey. Maine Wardens actually work weekends and get "comp time" for week days off duty.

My catch today was a bunch of small bows none over 9 inches, some as small as six.... does anyone know if these were recently stocked fish or might they be naturally produced?

Saw no stripers today; only sinners
Old 09-15-2012, 10:32 PM

Can they be everywhere at once? If I see them on the river on a regular basis and they respond to me when I send pics in of things like you mention, then I have to say they are doing their job. It would help if you followed those guys and got some pics of license plates and vehicles.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:56 AM

Here we go again.

If you want it to stop either say something or call TWRA.

If you saw someone breaking into your neighbors house would you simply look the other way?

Please don't just come here whining when you could have done something to help.

Last edited by waterwolf; 09-16-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 08:13 AM

I was too far away to accurately gauge their creel. Also; I really did not want to chase people down to inspect their takes. However; if I were closer and in contact; I would have politely mentioned the creel and tried to guide them straight going forward.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-16-2012, 11:16 AM

The bottom line is that regulations are worthless without enforcement.Period. Enforcement, like it or not starts with the law abiding anglers paying attention. We all understand that there are not enough TWRA personnel to be everywhere at once. Confrontation is not really the way to go here, but at least report it to the authorities. I fished the Hiwassee a lot for years, and I saw a lot of poachers in the trophy section at that time. I would watch from a distance and eventually let them know I was there. This was mostly before I had a cell phone, but I would always call TWRA AND REPORT IT!! I look forward to this time of year to fish some of the DH streams in North Carolina, but the past few years it seems that the poachers have had there way with it and it's sort of lost its appeal to me. Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges. just make a phone call and let someone know it's happening.....
Old 09-16-2012, 03:11 PM

Blue Raider...don' t you mostly fish the Caney? The Clinch goes unpoliced. Every poacher for three states goes there! Why our boys are over on Norris with jet skis watching the pretty girls from Ohio riding around in their ski boats and not worrying about some stinky fisherman keeping slot fish.

The wardens in Maine did have pride in their resources, these guys, I'm not so sure they care about the Clinch. How else does a guy fish there for over 25 years and NEVER get checked?

I wish TN would do what happened to my father in PA when I was a kid. We were visiting PA and of course my Dad didn't buy a license and was fishing. Rules were not made for him by the way. Anyway an undercover warden that was fishing as the time saw him do something wrong and he got caught, fined, and it was a huge mess. Made a lasting impression on me! It would be great to have a warden be able to fish and work at the same time on the tailwaters here in TN. Once that word got out this BS would stop. Maybe add a $2.00 surcharge/tax to fish tailwaters like migratory birds to pay for some warden to work and fish on Saturdays. Just to see these bums busted I would pay $50 bucks for the entertainment. So yeah, my Dad was a bum too for fishing without a license at the time before anyone chimes in.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 PM

Ya'll wanna know where they were? I counted 14 of them standing on the sidelines of the TN vs. FL game at Neyland. I know the game was not until 6 but I would bet that they were not working in the morning so they could rest up to watch the game. But were they really needed to control the crowd, i think the other 1,500 police and security agents were enough. But this does not explain where they are every other week.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:34 PM

I refrained from saying this earlier but after an eight hour float I figured what the ****.

On this forum and most fly fishing forums fish size is exaggerated more times than not. I don't believe it comes from a desire to deceive more so a lack of experience measuring fish.

Based on what I have seen in the forum world, it is entirely possible what appears to be a slot fish could easily be a legal fish, based on some of the claims I read weekly around he interwebs.

All too often a 12" fish is called 16", and 14" fish are called 18". I have seen folks with solid 13" fish which could appear as slot fish, but are just short.

Just something to keep in mind before causing a scene. Maybe it is time for a picture quiz?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetroutman View Post
Ya'll wanna know where they were? I counted 14 of them standing on the sidelines of the TN vs. FL game at Neyland. I know the game was not until 6 but I would bet that they were not working in the morning so they could rest up to watch the game. But were they really needed to control the crowd, i think the other 1,500 police and security agents were enough. But this does not explain where they are every other week.
Heck, I guess they were expecting even the carp from the river to rush the field when TN put a whooping on those gators!?.....that can only explain why they were there unless the FL fans were going to release allligators on our coon dog? Good lawdy, them college kids now got WILDlife officers to corral them!

My Sportman's license at work!
Old 09-16-2012, 10:32 PM

I'll second (or third or whatever) contacting TWRA. Having minimal experience on the Clinch, I cannot obviously guarantee that anything will be done, but I have reported overlimit issues to TWRA from a favorite striper/white bass/warm water spot further down the same river (including pictures of the car and license plates via email) and can say with much satisfaction that the people who were regular visitors (and violators) did not show up anymore... TWRA does have their problems, but given a good tip, they will usually take care of business...just my two cents...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com