Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Joe Congleton Joe Congleton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 54
Exclamation

As a matter of information a biologist who has done entomological identification in more detail than anyone for a span of about thirty plus years on the Clinch has never found any BWO in any stage on the Clinch in any of his sample points on the tailwater. This is evidence based on insects "keyed " under magnification of adult stage. That is the only way to correctly ID a species. mAny

Many people talk about BWO ( and some even publish hatch charts showing BWO )in Clinch tailwater but scientific evidence does not support the BWO presence in the tailwater below Norris dam Fwiw.

Last edited by Joe Congleton; 09-18-2012 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-19-2012, 08:26 AM
MadisonBoats's Avatar
MadisonBoats MadisonBoats is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Norris, TN
Posts: 1,846
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
As a matter of information a biologist who has done entomological identification in more detail than anyone for a span of about thirty plus years on the Clinch has never found any BWO in any stage on the Clinch in any of his sample points on the tailwater. This is evidence based on insects "keyed " under magnification of adult stage. That is the only way to correctly ID a species. mAny

Many people talk about BWO ( and some even publish hatch charts showing BWO )in Clinch tailwater but scientific evidence does not support the BWO presence in the tailwater below Norris dam Fwiw.
I have witnessed BWOs on the Clinch and they are rare. I respect the conclusion and clarity that an educated biologist can add to keying bugs. However; it is imperative to sample the river often and during all the different climate patterns on the river to truly have a clear view of the bug diversity. Additionally; I have reviewed many of the sample reports from biologists and the sample dates range from months to years. Clearly indicating huge voids of time that may have different species hatching.

To hear a true biologist or scientist say NEVER or NOT would surprise me as it would be unsuitable to the ideal of science. Most would say have not been documented or supported as of yet.
__________________
“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
power
to choose, to respond, to change.”


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Joe Congleton Joe Congleton is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 54
Default

Rule 4 - dont shoot the measenger.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Flat Fly n's Avatar
Flat Fly n Flat Fly n is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East TN
Posts: 533
Default

I say we go get some nymphs from the S. Holston and plant them in the lower Clinch! I would look forward to BWO's hatching on some cold cloudy day by the thousands about 10 years from now! HA
__________________
I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 PM
fourx's Avatar
fourx fourx is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
I say we go get some nymphs from the S. Holston and plant them in the lower Clinch! I would look forward to BWO's hatching on some cold cloudy day by the thousands about 10 years from now! HA
You got that right Homey!

4X
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-19-2012, 03:30 PM
cockeye valdez cockeye valdez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 107
Default slow down boys

I'm still stuck on the "Cockeyed Valdez" c.d.c. crane fly imitation. Will you be applying for a patent for that ? Will I become famous like Waterwolf ?
c.v.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:21 PM
waterwolf waterwolf is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
I say we go get some nymphs from the S. Holston and plant them in the lower Clinch! I would look forward to BWO's hatching on some cold cloudy day by the thousands about 10 years from now! HA
If the habitat was right they would be here, it is not and they aren't
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
I'm still stuck on the "Cockeyed Valdez" c.d.c. crane fly imitation. Will you be applying for a patent for that ? Will I become famous like Waterwolf ?
c.v.
going to have to do a lot to reach my standing. A decade in a fly shop, another 8 as a guide, an outspoken ***, boyish charm, and rapier wit will help.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:31 PM
Corbo Corbo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Sevierville TN
Posts: 494
Default

Habitat for bugs?

The soho has bugs the Clinch does not have because the soho tailwater got them from streams nearby.

I like Flat's idea; but we would need to collect zillions of them and I bet it is not against the law either!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:56 PM
waterwolf waterwolf is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,170
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Habitat for bugs?

The soho has bugs the Clinch does not have because the soho tailwater got them from streams nearby.

I like Flat's idea; but we would need to collect zillions of them and I bet it is not against the law either!
This is biology 101, if the habitat is conducive and inside a species natural range the species will exist unless eliminated by extreme circumstances. Literarily taken from an intro to biology text book.

Flat's idea sounds good in theory, but won't work, and habitat is just one of the issues.

Please elaborate on all these tribs to the South Holston?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-19-2012, 10:12 PM
Flat Fly n's Avatar
Flat Fly n Flat Fly n is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: East TN
Posts: 533
Default

Good theory there Wolfie, but, there weren't any trout in the Clinch until TWRA put them there. They wouldn't just show up from Melton Hill even if the conditions were correct. There is not one cutthroat trout in that river BUT the conditions are right for that species to exist there.

Now a long story I heard many years ago (back from the 80's)is that a bunch of old fart fly guys transplanted sulphurs into the Clinch as well...true, I don't know, but it would be a blast to try it. What's it going to hurt? Fish part of the day, turn rocks over, shake em into buckets and drive back to K'town and dump them. It's not like your introducing a harmful species into a macrosystem anyway. pH, temp, food source, and O2, what more can you want?

After we are long gone someone would be having a blast on some crappy weather days.
__________________
I am a great admirer of spectator sports, especially on television; it keeps the riffraff off the trout streams.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.