Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
Good theory there Wolfie, but, there weren't any trout in the Clinch until TWRA put them there. They wouldn't just show up from Melton Hill even if the conditions were correct. There is not one cutthroat trout in that river BUT the conditions are right for that species to exist there.

Now a long story I heard many years ago (back from the 80's)is that a bunch of old fart fly guys transplanted sulphurs into the Clinch as well...true, I don't know, but it would be a blast to try it. What's it going to hurt? Fish part of the day, turn rocks over, shake em into buckets and drive back to K'town and dump them. It's not like your introducing a harmful species into a macrosystem anyway. pH, temp, food source, and O2, what more can you want?

After we are long gone someone would be having a blast on some crappy weather days.

I clearly, and I mean clearly state that "inside a species' natural range". Last I checked rainbows and cutthroats have never existed anywhere near the Clinch river, nor has any trout ever been documented as occupying the Clinch river drainage until Norris Dam was built.

With your attempt to try and bring something in that can't survive obviously, what else might you transport in? How are you going to transport these bugs and keep them alive on a 3 hour drive? How much damage is potentially done to the host river where these bugs are collected?

All the above are legitimate questions, and the simple idea that if you bring them it will work, is forgetting about a million laws of nature and biology.

Try again.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 AM

There are specific reasons why certain bugs thrive in certain rivers. If a certain type of bug can thrive in the Clinch; then, it will mostly be present in the Clinch. However; I do believe there are some anomalies and climate related factors.

I my opinion; the most important factor in the Clinch's biological make up is
PH factor that many callously dissuade. Ignoring man-made influences; the PH factor is dictated by the geological make up of the watershed and riverbed. The geological substrate acts as a filter and non-filter in certain areas of E. TN. Additionally; TN is a Karst topography zone and has numerous caves and sinkholes that pass through limestone systems. Much of the rock structures that have been mined pass through these underground streams and mix with other rock structures that make them caustic and create higher PH levels. Slight differences in PH can greatly influence the entomological make up of a river.

So; by looking at a map of geological substrate and overlaying it with a particular river system; one can generally see differences in PH influences.

Sample link to academic study to illustrate idea:

http://www.mendeley.com/research/eff...am-microcosms/
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 AM

The Clinch above Norris has great blue wing hatches, and has the same geologic structure as the clinch
Old 09-20-2012, 10:59 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
The Clinch above Norris has great blue wing hatches, and has the same geologic structure as the clinch
Waterwolf,
I hereby appoint you in charge of Norris lake BWO subset and I'll handle the S. Holston subset. I am formally applying for a Federal Grant to bring Tricos from Silver Creek back to the Clinch as well!

We will band their little legs much like ducks and do a viability study based on dissolved oxygen and how global/local warming from Oak Ridge has effected the Clinch. Corbo will be in charge of coliform counts effecting the lower Clinch, and yes, Cockeye Valdez will monitor cranefly predation on the BWO nymphs! Of course, Madison Boats will monitor lime deposits based on flow schedules as it degrades the into the water, thus effecting pH.

BTW, a miniturized oxygenator (battery powered O2 delivery systems like what's on your bass boat when you fish tournaments!) with controlled refrigerant in the form or dry ice should do the trick in our Federally funded biofuel car once the grant comes through.

Have we stimulated enough thought process into this fun thread?
Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 AM

Sulphurs were in the clincH tailwater in the sixties when l first fished it." Old Darts "did try to nring montana stoneflies to the Little T in a cooler from the Madison in the sixties. Some petronarcus type big stoneflies were already here in little river in the park and are in the cumberland tailwater in ky naturally. Some mayflies were attempted to be moved from the Little T to the clinch by amateurs like me in the 70s. Unsuccessfully. Please do not try to bring any more itty bitty stuff to the clinch. Bring great big stuff. Truth is some fish in clinch can be caught on about anything short of tarpon flies if u stAnd there and drag it around on fine leaders long enough. Note i said some fish. Not all fish. Fwiw

Last edited by Joe Congleton; 09-20-2012 at 03:34 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 09-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Fly n View Post
Waterwolf,
I hereby appoint you in charge of Norris lake BWO subset and I'll handle the S. Holston subset. I am formally applying for a Federal Grant to bring Tricos from Silver Creek back to the Clinch as well!

We will band their little legs much like ducks and do a viability study based on dissolved oxygen and how global/local warming from Oak Ridge has effected the Clinch. Corbo will be in charge of coliform counts effecting the lower Clinch, and yes, Cockeye Valdez will monitor cranefly predation on the BWO nymphs! Of course, Madison Boats will monitor lime deposits based on flow schedules as it degrades the into the water, thus effecting pH.

BTW, a miniturized oxygenator (battery powered O2 delivery systems like what's on your bass boat when you fish tournaments!) with controlled refrigerant in the form or dry ice should do the trick in our Federally funded biofuel car once the grant comes through.

Have we stimulated enough thought process into this fun thread?
I fished in a blanket Trico spinner fall on the Clinch above the lake last weekend. They are there, along with every conceivable caddis and a host of other Mayfly species.

If any of that stuff could survive below Norris, it would be there now, it isn't happening no matter what, short of removing Norris Dam.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:38 PM

I'll bring some Hecubas back from The Big Wood and some tricos from the Big Lost and some callibeatis from Silver Creek when I come back from ID next week. I'll put them in a empty Fat Tire bottle.

I've seen October caddis come off en masse above the weir one day. No kidding. I don't think the trout knew what they were cause the adults weren't getting eaten. Go figure.

4X
Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Now we're talking! Dry fly fishing 365!

I really want to plant some alders along the Clinch as well. Alder flies from Maine would make Corbo feel as if he is home again! Plus then some grouse might migrate down from the KY border and hang out in the thickets! Sorry Corbo, they are called grouse here, not Pats!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourx View Post
I'll bring some Hecubas back from The Big Wood and some tricos from the Big Lost and some callibeatis from Silver Creek when I come back from ID next week. I'll put them in a empty Fat Tire bottle.

I've seen October caddis come off en masse above the weir one day. No kidding. I don't think the trout knew what they were cause the adults weren't getting eaten. Go figure.

4X
Hey 4x if you see my old net on the Big Wood please bring it home to me. Thanks...and have a great time! PS...it's in the no kill section.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM

fourx,

Have a great time out there in Idaho. I fished all the waters you mentioned there a year ago to the week. I love the area there. Silver Creek kicked my a$$$ again. I've yet to fish the upper Big Lost in Copper basin. That's for next trip I guess.