Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 09-25-2012, 10:24 AM

Default Smallmouth

Had one of the best days I've had in a long time as far as numbers go. Went over to Sevierville at about 9:30 and things were pretty slow. I guess the colder temps from the night before had them hunkered down. At about noon things really picked up. This is by far the most I have caught nymph fishing. Around twenty or so in all in about 3 hours. No real size but a 3 pounder on a Large bugger. I have no doubt he thought it was a hellgramite because he thumped it. I was high sticking and he literally knocked slack up the line. I've always nymph at some point everytime I go, but this was one of those days when I put one on and never took it off. All my patterns worked,Prince, buggers, Tennessee twent-inchers and Clouser crawfish.
Lynn
Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 AM

Good to hear! Its been weeks since I've been out on any river and I need to feel the pull of a smallmouth on the line again. Hopefully next week, I'll be out there too.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
Good to hear! Its been weeks since I've been out on any river and I need to feel the pull of a smallmouth on the line again. Hopefully next week, I'll be out there too.
I saw abunch of really good Shellcrackers too,Gary. I have no doubt they would have eaten a popper. I just couldn't stop long enough to re-rig for them. Hope you get out soon. I think our days are numbered.
Lynn
Old 09-26-2012, 09:49 AM

Hey Lynn -

I'm not familiar with a Tennessee 20-Incher. How's it differ from a standard 20-Incher?

steve
Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
Hey Lynn -

I'm not familiar with a Tennessee 20-Incher. How's it differ from a standard 20-Incher?

steve
Thats a funny story. I went out west about ten years ago and stopped at a fly shop. The folks there were very helpful, so I thought it right to make a small purchase,so I bought some twent-inchers. Well on that trip I lost the last one on the last day. When I got home I couldn't remember exactly how it looked. So I tied some from memory and what came out was the Tennessee twenty-incher. Brown biot tail with a peacock body with d-rib. The thorax of Hairsear, cream rubber legs( or choice), Grey biots tied over top of thorax(prince nymph style) hook size to taste and yellow thread and an under body of lead free wire. Thus the TTI'er it's just a bastardized twenty-incher,prince and a Kevin Howell's Kevins Stone. I've caught many SM and large Browns with this fly. Try it.
Lynn
Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 PM

It sounds like a pretty neat fly. Do you have a picture of it that you can post?
Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bfishin View Post
It sounds like a pretty neat fly. Do you have a picture of it that you can post?
I'll try to get one up. I'm not very savy with this stuff,but will give it a try.
Lynn
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM

I've not fished either of those flies Lynn, but Kevin has another good all around, nymph pattern that seems to work well of trout and smallies. The "big nasty". It does not really look like anything in particulair but has all the right components. I like it as a "heggy ' pattern in black and have used it in a rust pattern as a molting crayfish. tied with lead wire running parrallel with the hook shank on each side, it sinks well and is a flat shape.
Another good "nymph" pattern I've had success with is those giant #6 or #4 beadhead prince nymphs with a red hackle collar that Jim Parks and Jack like to use for Yellowstone. I had some left over from a trip a few years ago and added some rubber legs behind the collar and "wah-lah" , a new smallmouth pattern.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
Hey Lynn -

steve
Here you go. Not a good pic,but this is the color schemme I use on SM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
I've not fished either of those flies Lynn, but Kevin has another good all around, nymph pattern that seems to work well of trout and smallies. The "big nasty". It does not really look like anything in particulair but has all the right components. I like it as a "heggy ' pattern in black and have used it in a rust pattern as a molting crayfish. tied with lead wire running parrallel with the hook shank on each side, it sinks well and is a flat shape.
Another good "nymph" pattern I've had success with is those giant #6 or #4 beadhead prince nymphs with a red hackle collar that Jim Parks and Jack like to use for Yellowstone. I had some left over from a trip a few years ago and added some rubber legs behind the collar and "wah-lah" , a new smallmouth pattern.
I love fishing cross over flies.You know I'm to lazy to tie a bunch of patterns. I'll try the red-head prince. Is that with red thread or bead? I remember Jack tying them with red beads when the beads came out with colors. I'm going back Monday to see if it was a one time deal or if there's a definate pattern going.
Lynn
Lynn