Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-01-2012, 01:14 PM

Default Clinch Jail/Church

Anybody been hitting the jail/church area of the Clinch?
Haven't been down there in a while and was bleak then.
Thought maybe some of those lake run trout might be on the move (?).

4X
Old 10-01-2012, 03:51 PM

I have been fishing on a regular basis with low water happening lately in Smokies, they don't call it the Grinch on a whim. The last few weekends it's been OK with hits and misses. This weekend was tough sledding, Saturday quite a few anglers out but saw or or heard no big claims to fame. Sunday I got on the water around 1:00 and saw around 12 anglers in the water, spoke to one guy with a group from Trout Unlimited (not sure which chapter), who said not much luck, also talked to 2 diffrent guys who were instructing and or guiding (waders) near a known and overfished honey hole and said no luck, by 4:00 it was just me and another guy way up in the bend. Still a great day on the river but would have been nicer with some hits, I think Byron may be on to something with his full moon theory , it's his story but I 'm sticking to it!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Dang! Thanks.

4X
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 AM

I have fished it a few times in the past weeks. It is fishing tight with almost all of my fish being rainbow stockers. Most of my takes were on heavy nymphs, with slow moving presentations. One of the best set ups down there right now is European Nymphing. Also; I like to use some TwistOns-Lead Wraps to downward present to a seam. It seems that the fish are slow to break on anything moving under a fast indicator or drifting in a fast seam. If you can slow your presentation down with heavy-dense beads, bottom rigs, dual fly setups, and upstream casts; it seams to be beneficial. It looks like they are starting to change their diets with the season change. I have noticed the trout are really starting to look over the flies before taking them. Many are following them for several feet and scrutinizing the flies. So; it might be a good idea to add some legs, wing cases, "Czech" tying patterns, etc. to get them to identify, trigger, or take more readily.

Also; the flies with black beads, olive bodies, and olive dubbing seem to be hitting the best. Tons of black flies and scuds on the river; so, that color could be interpreted universally. Hope this helps.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 10-03-2012 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: spell
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 AM

Great tips, Madison, I was unfamiliar with Euro nymphing so had to read up. Read one article said method was no top dry fly or indicatar, use a section brightly lit leader with heavy nymph with short casts off the rod tip. Does that sound like what you have used? Thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 AM

Default high sticking ?

I'm with bigsur on this, I checked it out and it sounds similar to high sticking in the park. I understand the issues related to using yarn. I hate using it or anything other than a #16 or larger dry as an indicator.
c.v.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:43 AM

They might as well call it "Appalachian Nymphing" cause it's essentially high sticking like our Southern forefathers did.
The exception is, the nymphs are unique and people are doing on much larger rivers.
Very effective!
Also- Tenkara fishing was done by early Appalachians too.
Good advice Shawn. Typically, if your indicator is moving the same speed as the surface water, then your nymph's moving downstream too fast.
Mend baby, mend!
That's depressing about the majority of fish taken down low are stockers. Yuck.

4X
Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 AM

To clarify; I was alluding to using an indicator->Lead Dropper->Heavy Nymph->Light Nymph as "European Nymphing".

As for high sticking; we always called it when you did not cast (or feed line) and used flies for fishing.

Update: Fished above the church for about an hour and a half yesterday morning. It was still slow in my opinion. I only landed six-fish and they were all rainbows. I would rather not say they are stockers now. They look to be river hatched fish to me.

Also; none of the fish were taken on my aforementioned tips. Go Figure! I got them all on soft hackles.

-Saw a few adult sulphurs take off!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 AM

Default sulfurs

that explains why I caught one on my #16 sulfur Saturday. I was using it as my strike indicator. I never saw any come off, the fog was HEAVY. I was not near the jail. Encouraging though that you saw a few sulfurs.