Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-04-2012, 02:41 PM

Smile Fall feeding frenzy - Don't forget your dinner jacket

For the second time in a row we get a decent rain in the mountains and I hope to go kayaking. But no, all the rain is sucked up by the carst, soil, trees, and undergropund aquifiers, and 12 hours later the streams are perfectly clear and already dropped out.

Well while this would be no good for kayaking, I knew it was time to grab the rod and head for the mountains. Tried to meet up with Freddie, but he was heading for the SoHo, and his 6:45 Knoxville departure time didn't tempt my towards the tailwaters

So off to the mountains I went

Hit LRO for some more Frog's Fanny (never seem to buy enough for myself) and a few flies. Paula insisted I take some halloween candy for my twins (they love the fishing store), and I was on my way.

Passed two hikers on way in, and asked if they saw any fisherman. They had seen one guy upstream, and 10 minutes later seeing a guy hiking back down had ideas of having tyhe stream all to myself. Unfortunately he told me of another guy, and then 3 more guys heading that way so he didn't even bother. I wasn't about to change plans and thought I may have to do some more hiking and maybe even hit the headwaters stream but I was heading up the creek.

While this would normally be considered low to med flow, with the lack of rain we have had the last couple months it felt like Spring

Came to a crossing and found only 1 set of boot prints. Turned over a pretty good fish in the pool above as I did a sampling, and searched for more prints. At next good pool was another fresher set, and two minutes later I caught up to 2 people. The fisherman immediately told me I could have the water right in front of him, and I asked how much longer he was going to be fishing. He said a couple hours so I said I would give him plenty of fresh water and hike upstream. After working up a good sweat I made it to a good drop in place. Within a minute I landed my first fish of the day.

Within a few more minutes I finally found one properly dressed

Most of the fish I was catching were around this size. But they were biting like crazy

A few were more formal than others

Cont
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM

Smile Continued

The scenery was beautiful ,and the temperature was perfect. Gotta love the first days of Fall

And a little closer

While I did catch a few keeper sized fish, I didn't catch any monsters or anything that made me even pull out the tape.

I was so busy fishing I had to remember to stop and take in my surrounding every now and again

And look deeply into skelator

And back to fishing

Cont again
Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM

Smile Continued

And another pretty dresser

Along with the great fishing I was also able to solve a long Smokies mystery as to where drinkwater pool lies. Sorry Crockett, you Mr Reed, Hoover, et all have been looking in the wrong stream

At long last the REAL coffin rock - eat your hearts out Harvet Broome lovers

- well maybe not

Hit a nice round number with this fish which also coincided with the stream hitting near the trail so I decided to call it a day

Great day in the mountains, and my best fishing numbers wise since Spring. Get it while you can
Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Looks pretty awesome. I admire your diligence taking pictures of all those fish. WHen the fishing is on like that, I just can't summon the patience to photograph. I guess this means you got a new camera/old camera fixed?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Looks pretty awesome. I admire your diligence taking pictures of all those fish. WHen the fishing is on like that, I just can't summon the patience to photograph. I guess this means you got a new camera/old camera fixed?
Me too. I've quit toting a camera because I don't have the patience to stop fishing. I just bought a new point & shoot just because I thought I might be tempted to play with the new toy.

Man, great trip!! I'm so envious, I want to get to GSMNP and fish soooo bad but I think it'll be '13 before I get back. I hate that. It's bad for my sanity. Congrats on a great trip!!!!! On the note of losing track of your surroundings, I can relate! I've done that so many times. You get so focused on the stream you get tunnel vision.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the "Pic Heavy" post.so that those of us that can't be there can fish vicariously through your photos .
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM

I like it!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
Sam killed my old camera the same week I lost the GPS. I had gotten 6+ years from that $200 purchase, and luckily the camera replacement was only $20 Sweet deal on Amazon with someone selling their old camera. Battery was almost worn out, but I had 2 from my old camera, and they work great. Pics only take 15-20 seconds to shoot, and while I took a bunch of pics, there were plenty I didn't photo including my park record Brookie (smallest Brookie I ever landed at around 1.5 inches)
Old 10-05-2012, 09:29 AM

Nice pics James I bet Steve Moore nailed that tag in that tree many moons ago. Oh the hunt for the elusive coffin rock. Here is Dutch Roth's grandson Charlie Roth standing on the real coffin rock (up above Ramsey Cascades) holding an ice axe used to kill trout humanely of course:

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...