Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFork View Post
Fabric thickness has little to no bearing on waterproofness. HH ratings are a good place to look.
I mentioned fabric thickness mostly in reference to durability.
But your statement as it pertains to water resistance isn't true.
70D nylon holds a lot more WP coating than 30D nylon.
Look at HH test results between the 2.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I mentioned fabric thickness mostly in reference to durability.
But your statement as it pertains to water resistance isn't true.
70D nylon holds a lot more WP coating than 30D nylon.
Look at HH test results between the 2.
It depends on the coating thickness. If you put the same PU coating that is on most 70 denier nylons on a 30 d in the same thickness, the waterproofness will be the same. You are comparing a silicone coating to a PU coating and are negating different thicknesses of coating.

EDIT: examples

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ki...p-Nylon-Fabric

70 d at 2.5 after coating. 1.9 before

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ki...p-Nylon-Fabric

30d at 1.3 after coating. 1.1 before.
Old 09-18-2012, 01:38 PM

I can't really say that I understand your point as it pertains to the links you provided.
It seems like you are comparing fabric weights, along with a perceived application of coatings, while I am talking merely about independent test results.
Regardless, this thread is about to derail in a bad way.

Flyguys...My point to you was that there really is no "best 2p tent" out there. Every tent offers different selling points. The ultra-light tents can sometimes be a double edged sword. Sometimes a durable floor is worth more than the weight savings you'll get from a lighter tent.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM

Smile

I love my Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. Although I use it as a solo tent. While it is very light weight, I don't believe durability will be much of an issue with just a tiny bit of care. If I was getting one as a 2 person I would get the Fly Creek 3. If you want an extra door and another vestibule then get a Copper Spur. Look for sales or even used as they are quite pricy. I was able to get my Copper Spur 4 (family backpacking) through Steep and Cheap at less than 1/2 price shipped. My fly creek I used my 20% off coupon from out school coupons at local outfitter. Used ones can be found on fourms at white blaze, and backpacking light. Also backcountry is having a sale right now that anything they have on sale you can get for 50% MSRP so that might be an o-ption for some tents also. Plus don't forget GoLite. They now sell all their gear through their website and their stores. While you can no longer find it at REI, you can now pay what REI did for the gear. My buddy just got a 3 person tent from them, and they run some awesome deals week to week. And yes those tarp tents are pretty sweet too. While I'm not brave enough to be a tarp guy, those tarp tents are worth the look. And all the BA tents allow you to set up just fly and floor for even more weight savings when bugs, or extreme weather are not to be expected

Hope that helps
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM

This is an older thread, but I thought I'd chime in. I am a hammock hanger 90% of the time, but when I can't hang I use an REI Quarterdome T2 tent that I really like. It's got a full mesh body (similar to the Hubba series) and a lot of nice features. You can occasionally find them on sale at REI. Great tents. They also make a "T3" if you want a bit more room.

--Matt
Old 10-05-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mundele View Post
This is an older thread, but I thought I'd chime in. I am a hammock hanger 90% of the time, but when I can't hang I use an REI Quarterdome T2 tent that I really like. It's got a full mesh body (similar to the Hubba series) and a lot of nice features. You can occasionally find them on sale at REI. Great tents. They also make a "T3" if you want a bit more room.

--Matt
I like hanging too but still want a Henry Shires Moment which is less than 2lb:
http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html

I know Spotlight has one but haven't got to see it yet.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I like hanging too but still want a Henry Shires Moment which is less than 2lb:
http://www.tarptent.com/moment.html

I know Spotlight has one but haven't got to see it yet.
I had a TT Moment, and it really is a beautiful tent. Extremely fast setup and a good amount of room. Ample vestibule space as well. The only problem that I had, and this is mostly a result of having a very small pack and a particular packing order, is that that the tent has non-removable struts at the head and foot end. I didn't like having to pack that to one side of the pack while having heavier stuff offset to the other side. Aside from that, it is a fantastic tent. The speed of setup is awesome.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:56 PM

I started out with a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 which will run you about a $100 if you shop around. It is tight quarters but the weight and price aren't too bad.

Moving on up, the REI Half Dome is a lot more tent for the additional cost <$200. I would go for the Half Dome Plus which is better suited for those of us over 6' tall. I wish I had of started with this tent and it has very good resale value.

Currently, I am toting a Sierra Designs Zolo 3 which is very heavy! This is for shorter hikes with both children hiking along. As long as you go with a good name brand tent, I don't think you will have any problems. Just pay attention to the weight.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 PM

Another vote for the BA Fly Creek 2. Has done some long trips in the Sierras and Vermont, seen snow, hail, massive thunderstorms and winds approaching 50. Not a problem. Has condensation issues from 40 down- you need to really pull the fly out and the door is better left partially open. Enough room for my wife and I, as stated earlier for two friends I'd opt for the 3 person. After about a month of set up use it still looks and functions as new.

Charlie
Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefish View Post
Another vote for the BA Fly Creek 2. Has done some long trips in the Sierras and Vermont, seen snow, hail, massive thunderstorms and winds approaching 50. Not a problem. Has condensation issues from 40 down- you need to really pull the fly out and the door is better left partially open. Enough room for my wife and I, as stated earlier for two friends I'd opt for the 3 person. After about a month of set up use it still looks and functions as new.

Charlie
It's good to see you around again and good to hear some first hand knowledge of that tent. I have had my eye on it for a long time now! By the way, how about some fishing reports? Miss reading about your great trips for steelhead,etc., over on the CFF board...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com