Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 PM

Default Anyone ever stayed at campsite #61 on Noland Creek?

I try to do a backpacking/fishing trip every fall break to see the colors and do a little fishing. This year my vacation is at the beginning of the month instead of at the end so I'm looking for something up higher to see the foliage. For the past 2 years I've always gone to #23 and the leaves and fishing were "specktacular" the third week in October.

If anyone has any insight as to the campsite and creeks around #61 (Noland, Clingman Creek, Bald Creek, etc) I would greatly appreciate it. If you don't feel comfortable saying anything on here, you can email me at benschulz01@gmail dot com

I debated on going to #47 but I've read around here that it is not a good place to go solo.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:04 PM

I have done #47 solo but you have to be careful of course...if you are interested in more info on #47 shoot me an email...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM

Thanks for the help David!

I guess I'm gonna be the first one ever on this board to ever stay at and fish at #61 if I decide on this trip based on the views and responses. Sweet!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:43 PM

I fished it about six years ago in May. Our plan was to come from the top and
hit 61 and Solola Valley on the way down. The campsite was fine. Fishing was okay. I caught several fish, but nothing over ten inches. Most were 6-8 inches. I fished below camp and my friends fished above. I caught only browns and bows. My friends fished above camp and caught rainbows and a few brook trout, though the brook trout were 4-5".

That night it poured rain for six to eight hours. We strapped on the backpacks soaked. The creek was so high we were barely able to ford the creek and had to lock arms together to keep from being swept away. We had to do this twice before we came to a bridge crossing.

We walked out that day to the cars and I had some of the biggest blisters I have ever had. Probably not a good idea to hike out in wading shoes with poor socks. Overall, I thought the fishing would have been better, but it was a beautiful hike out. Solola valley was particularly beautiful. Funny, there were balls of foam in the creek there the size of huge beach balls.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benintenn View Post
I try to do a backpacking/fishing trip every fall break to see the colors and do a little fishing. This year my vacation is at the beginning of the month instead of at the end so I'm looking for something up higher to see the foliage. For the past 2 years I've always gone to #23 and the leaves and fishing were "specktacular" the third week in October.

If anyone has any insight as to the campsite and creeks around #61 (Noland, Clingman Creek, Bald Creek, etc) I would greatly appreciate it. If you don't feel comfortable saying anything on here, you can email me at benschulz01@gmail dot com

I debated on going to #47 but I've read around here that it is not a good place to go solo.
Just curious, what is the deal with #47 solo? Bears, banjo music?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Having just spent my first weekend at #47 last week, I would have to say that I would do it solo but be very careful. It is a tough hike in on a pretty established trail but there are a lot of rocks and it would have been easy to turn an ankle, especially on Sunday after the rain. The river itself though is tough to navigate at times because of the size of the boulders and amount of water that flows over them. An accident on the river would almost surely leave you stranded as the trail only crosses the river at the campsite and never follows it.

Oh yeah, and there were the bears playing banjo music.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:20 PM

The area around 47 sees quite a bit more fishing pressure these days, unfortunately. The hike is fairly steep, but the considerable horse traffic make it a rock strown mess--which is far worse. I would never fish that area if water is above normal or rain is in the forecast.

Lots of mice playing banjo music. Lots and lots of mice.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmreeves View Post
Having just spent my first weekend at #47 last week, I would have to say that I would do it solo but be very careful. It is a tough hike in on a pretty established trail but there are a lot of rocks and it would have been easy to turn an ankle, especially on Sunday after the rain. The river itself though is tough to navigate at times because of the size of the boulders and amount of water that flows over them. An accident on the river would almost surely leave you stranded as the trail only crosses the river at the campsite and never follows it.

Oh yeah, and there were the bears playing banjo music.
;-) OK, I'm smiling