Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Default Fall color ride and fishing trip

Took a ride over to NC yesterday through the park to take in the beauty of our mtns along the way, ride through some high elevation woods and maybe catch a few trout on dries as a bonus! Heavy fog here in the valley delayed my start time, alowing all the visitors from around the country here for the annual leaf transformation and craft fairs going on in G-burg, to be out on the roads also. Traffic was fairly heavy in the park and many cars were parked alongside the roads at traiheads and every scenic vista. I rode on into NC and stopped myself to stretch and snap a quick pict. from one of the many points looking down into the Deep creek valley.

Rode on over into Cherokee and up the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Several miles up the Balsam Mtn crest I turned onto balsam mtn road and entered the Heintooga round bottom gravel road.

The colors at this elevation (5000+) was spectacular and the views looking out along the ridge are great. The road is one of those out of way places and I only saw a few jeeps during the 18 mile trek down the mtn through the woods.

After about and hour of riding , I reached round bottom and the stream I came to fish. I've been here a few times over the years with fishing buddies, and it is a beautiful stream.
I had brought a fun little small stream dry fly rod, a 7ft lami fiberglass 3wt, and some bushy dry flies packed with my waders and boots. I rigged up and walked downstream a few hundred yards. The sun was hitting the stream in places along the stream, now into the afternoon, and I saw lots of bugs out. Tied on a royal pmx and started working back upstream. The trout rose to the fly many times but I guess after not fishing for the past month, my reaction times are a little slow! I picked up 8-10 bows and a couple of little browns this afternoon. nothing of size but enjoyable on the bendy little glass rod.

I finished up the stretch and decided to head back towards TN but snapped one last pict. of the new bridge that was built after the massive floods wiped out the old creek crossing a few years ago.

It was a great day to be out in the park, enjoying some twisty mtn roads on the bike, riding through some beautiful hardwood forest all decked out in fall colors, and feeling the pull of some lively mtn trout. Cant wait to go again.