Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 10-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Default A Walk in the Woods

My brother Colby and I just returned from our annual fall backcountry fly fishing trip and I wanted to share a few stories and pictures I hope you enjoy.

This trip was a culmination of 4 years in the planning and lessons learned. Our trip included 6 days and 5 nights, 4 different campsites, fly fishing on 3 tributary streams and miles of the main stream.

Our trip started on Monday October 8th with an early morning breakfast in town and discussing plans for our hike in. Sunday night and most of the day Monday had plenty of rain and cooler tempitures moving into the area that slowed our departure.

By the time we made it to our back country base camp we had just enough time to setup camp and start preparations for dinner. That evening my brother Colby had a disagreement with a local Bear that came out of the woods and into camp with the intent on steeling our dinner. After much debate between the Bear and my brother the Bear finally decided that Colby looked to dangerous and left back into the wood. I witness the entire event from about 30 yards behind my brother. Later that night after we went to sleep the bear returned and chewed up a 6 Litter Platypus water bottle. The water bottle and a couple cups was all that was left unsecure in camp and that bear thought he would come back and enact some revenge.

Tuesday was overcast and still a little colder than normal but the water was a perfect height and clarity. We packed up camp and started our trip upstream with the first days fishing with bead head nymphs and indicators.

Our total Brook Trout catch numbers were some of the highest ever, but their size was much smaller than from previous years. We were wondering if the trout size had to do with the streams condition this year or related to the cooler tempitures we were having.

Wednesday was the coldest of the week and you could sure tell it the entire night in the hammocks. We did happen to come by an area that had major beaver activity. There was a large section of stream with trees, sticks and logs all chewed up. Colby is showing how the beaver activity in the area was getting some major attention.

Even with the cooler tempitures and overcast sky the smaller Brook Trout were active and eager to take either nymphs or dries.

Thursday was by far the nicest day of the week with warmer tempitures and blue sky. By this point we had moved way upstream and caught some of our best Brook Trout of the week on dry flies. (If you look real close you can see Colby in the middle of this picture.)

As you can see in this picture the Brook Trout were in there fall colors. I would bet Colby and I completely destroyed 5 or 6 Never Sinks each on Thursday with all the Brook Trout we caught.

It seemed that all you had to do is find water with the sun shining on it and you were guaranteed a big bite.

Friday was our last full day of Fly Fishing and the skies and tempitures were great. We were able to spend a considerable amount of time fishing two of the major tributary streams.

Even though both streams were small they both had some great cascading pools with excellent Brook Trout fishing.

Saturday morning was our long journey home. Plans were to follow one of the tributary streams for quite some distance before we could start heading out. This section of our journey was new to us and the anxiety was a little higher but we had researched the area quite well.

Sometimes the final trail home can be quite challenging and sometimes hard to locate. Having a good GPS is a must unless you are familiar with the area.

This was the first and last time this old guy will be making a journey like this. I hope you enjoyed a small part of a trip that I spent Fly Fishing with my brother in the GSMNP and will remember for a lifetime.

Last edited by Mac; 10-15-2012 at 10:31 AM..
Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM

I surely enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing a great report and some breathtaking scenery, I'm glad y'all had a safe and memorable trip!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:52 PM

Great trip. That is a beautiful stretch of stream, but that last bit of the hike out will put a hurt on you for sure.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:45 PM

Default Fabulous

It was magical. I can't believe my brother ran away from the bear and I was doing what I was suppose to. Don't ever trust your older brother.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcolby View Post
It was magical. I can't believe my brother ran away from the bear and I was doing what I was suppose to. Don't ever trust your older brother.

I guess he just figured he didn't have to out run the bear, he just had to out run YOU
Old 10-16-2012, 09:40 AM

Smile I'm so jealous I don't know what to say

All us locals outdone by a couple of part-timers

And Colby did you expect any less I barely know Mac and figured he'd run at first sight. I'm surprised he didn't try to smear food on you before he ran away

Great report!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:43 AM

Great report!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
All us locals outdone by a couple of part-timers

And Colby did you expect any less I barely know Mac and figured he'd run at first sight. I'm surprised he didn't try to smear food on you before he ran away

Great report!

Peanut Butter - the all natural bear repellant