Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 10-18-2012, 10:31 PM

Default Handguns

Do I need a permit to carry an unconcealed handgun in the GSMNP? Not worried so much about bears or hogs as some crazy people
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM

I really dont know. In NC you only need a permit to carry concealed not open carry. Ifishforwildtrout and I had that same discussion over a campfire one time. If I was a bad guy (some may say I already am) and I was looking for trouble in the back country I would move on if I saw a guy fishing and could see that he was armed.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:46 PM

I believe it is against the law to carry in all
national parks
Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Smile

From my limited undestanding. Must follow the state's law, but can pocess firearms

In Smokies in TN - must have permit to open or concealed carry
In NC Smokies- permit for concealed, and open carry is legal.

Normally I wouldn't chime in, but want to answer the question, and Surfdog had pre 2009 data.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/lawsandpolicies.htm
Old 10-19-2012, 11:03 PM

Must follow state law, either Tennessee or North Carolina in this case. Best advice is get the concealed carry permit. Open carry tends to alarm the uninformed. Concealed carry camouflages the fact and doesn't unnecessarily advertise unless use is needed. Keeps a low profile which gives a much better public appearance.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501 View Post
Must follow state law, either Tennessee or North Carolina in this case. Best advice is get the concealed carry permit. Open carry tends to alarm the uninformed. Concealed carry camouflages the fact and doesn't unnecessarily advertise unless use is needed. Keeps a low profile which gives a much better public appearance.

Very true. Keeps the timid from being scared to death of a law abiding citizen.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 AM

Default Handy Handgun Tip

Several years ago my cousin and I were fishing in the backcountry of Yellowstone. As always, I had my Beretta Jetfire; a bantam-sized handgun, which I affectionately call “Blondie” and carry for protection from snakes. It is small enough to carry on a key ring.

We rounded a bend in the trail where we found ourselves face to face with a momma griz. Behind us we heard the wining of her cubs. Brandishing Blondie, I put a single round into the knee cap of my cousin, which gave all of the time I needed to escape the wrath of the bear. My point is, you don’t necessarily need a bulky, big bore 44 to protect yourself in bear country. A little snake gun often suffices.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:52 AM

Don;

Shame on you; everyone knows it is ILLEGAL to FEED the BEARS in Yellowstone.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:56 AM

Corbo factoid;

You are protected by the US Constitution and can carry firearms anywhere you want in any manner you want and all this "permit" crap ought to be ignored.

BTW Keltec makes a nice little pistol in 22 Magnum that holds thirty rounds with a loaded weight of under 20 ounces! PMR 30 models are about $400 retail and very reliable. This round likely zips through class three body armor too.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 AM

most of the reasons-- why you are carrying the weapon to protect you and Family from----- is also in the same Constitution. Does being law mean anything to those willing to break it ? Have a seat if you want to hear 30 years of experience why I say such a thing.