Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 AM

Post Clinch Report [October 2012]

The Clinch has been fishing its typical Fall pattern. The water has started to change color and temperature. The bug* activity has narrowed to midges, craneflies, scuds, & an occasional sulphur. *(Not Exclusive)

Upper Tailwater:
Surface Water Temperature: 52-56 by 2 PM
(Latest Measurement)
Color: Slate-Grey
  • One of the best patterns I have fished is a #20 olive midge, black thorax, brown-olive beads.
  • The most effective patterns seem to have a trigger effect or something in them to help them stand out in the water color.
Lower Tailwater:
Surface Water Temperature: 55-62 by 3 PM
(Latest Measurement)

Color: Slate-Grey

• Fishing has been slow for me on the lower end. I am just averaging a handful of fish each trip. Also; the quality of fish is down and mostly rainbow.
  • Most fish were taken on soft hackles.
  • Midge emergers and comparaduns have produced at pool-tail-outs in certain areas.
I hope others can post to share their reports and information in hope that we can help each other have a better experience.

*Safety Note: Be extra careful wading on rocks. Some of the vegetation has started to die and the surfaces are becoming super slick.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 10-16-2012 at 10:49 AM..
Old 10-21-2012, 03:12 PM

your report is the mirror image of my last couple trips with two exceptions. i have been floating above the weir, and using a red zebra midge. all 'bows mostly dinks and one in the slot.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 AM

I fished upper (early) and middle (noonish) sections Saturday, it was cloudy early and not many rises. I did manage to snag a few on #18 zebras. When the clouds left and the sun came out I found more rises in the middle section. Midges, crane flies and one lonely sulfur came off. I still prefer a #18 sulfur with a dropper as my go-to set up. They slapped at my sulfur refusing it but took my #24 emerger dropper as the water was coming up. Occasionally one will take the sulfur.

I fished the so.ho. last weekend and while I miss those many browns, I'm still committed to learning fall and winter fishing on the clinch.

Shawn, you said you go-to bug midge is a olive, brown, do you use olive wire?
c.v.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
your report is the mirror image of my last couple trips with two exceptions. i have been floating above the weir, and using a red zebra midge. all 'bows mostly dinks and one in the slot.

Actually, I have been using biot midges above the weir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
I fished upper (early) and middle (noonish) sections Saturday, it was cloudy early and not many rises. I did manage to snag a few on #18 zebras. When the clouds left and the sun came out I found more rises in the middle section. Midges, crane flies and one lonely sulfur came off. I still prefer a #18 sulfur with a dropper as my go-to set up. They slapped at my sulfur refusing it but took my #24 emerger dropper as the water was coming up. Occasionally one will take the sulfur.

I fished the so.ho. last weekend and while I miss those many browns, I'm still committed to learning fall and winter fishing on the clinch.

Shawn, you said you go-to bug midge is a olive, brown, do you use olive wire?

c.v.
I use olive UTC V-rib (Midge), no wire. Here is a grainy picture I took from my GoPro. Sorry; the GoPros do not take quality macro shots.

Ofcourse I forgot to mention that I use an offset hook. I think that is imperative to hooking fish on the smaller midges.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:38 AM

Default "scooter midge"

That bug tied in a different color is called the "scooter midge" on the so.ho. Thanks, I'll tie it and try it this weekend.
c.v.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:11 PM

MadisonBoats,

Tied some of those olive midges last night in a little darker color and used them this morning and wow did they work. Thanks for the great tip
Old 10-24-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetroutman View Post
MadisonBoats,

Tied some of those olive midges last night in a little darker color and used them this morning and wow did they work. Thanks for the great tip
Great! Try not to get locked in to one pattern as the trout feeding behavior on the Clinch can get dynamic at times. However; this pattern is a good standby for Fall/Winter fishing. I have been fishing it on a 2' drop below an small indicator.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:04 AM

Default 'd-rib'

I tied some with 'd' rib not 'v'
'd' is very small, I'm not sure in relationship to 'v' anyway I will sling them this weekend. Punk just inspired me.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeye valdez View Post
I tied some with 'd' rib not 'v'
'd' is very small, I'm not sure in relationship to 'v' anyway I will sling them this weekend. Punk just inspired me.
CV, I always was under the impression they were one in the same. Some call it D, because that is how it is shaped, some call it V because its made of Vinyl....? Who knows.

I believe they have all sorts of sizes. At least 3 or 4 from my memory.

Small (midge) D rib:

Medium D rib:
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM

thanks Grannyknot, I think you're correct. I tie with the small rib that does not come on spools. I found it in small packs with several feet in each pack.
c.v.