Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM

Talking Abrahm's Creek Area

It's been a while since I've been on here, but just saw some of Flyman's trout pictures and wouldn't you know it, the fishing bug just bit me, actually just about chomped my arm off. Thinking real serious about a road trip to the park and maybe the Abrahm's Creek area. I know that place is a challenge on a good day, but I have yet to fish it. Duh! Can someone please advise me on the fishing there this time of year or maybe an alternative place? Don't have too much time to spend so I'm looking for something near roadside to get in all the time I can.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 11-08-2012, 07:56 AM

There are many more fishing locations in the park that I think would be easier to fish. Search some of the topics and you will find some gems.

If you fish Abrams. Be super cautious. It is slicker than you know what and I would prepare for a fall with dry clothes.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-08-2012, 10:07 AM

I have fished it several times and there are some good size rainbows in there. The horny head to trout ratio is rather high in my opinion but all fun still if you like catching. I have also caught smallmouth lower down below cs 17.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 11-08-2012, 10:27 AM

A lot would depend on where you are coming from....if there is a limited time for me to fish I usually head over to WPLP and hit one of the quiet walkways down to the river...I really like the water up around the last paved pull out before the picnic area....if the weather is sunny try a big terrestrial or a rubber legged nymph like a prince or copper john
Old 11-08-2012, 07:59 PM

Talking

Shawn, Adam, Rog1,

Thanks for your responses. WPLP sounds really interesting to me. Also, Adam, I had heard about the horny heads. Can a person go further upstream to kinda get away from that situation? Say, the back side of the loop area, toward the west?

Shawn, thanks for the reminder about Abrams being slick. I had read that on this forum a couple of times before, but you jogged my memory. When I fish new waters I always bring my fishing staff and wear felts. That has saved my skinny more than a couple of times, but it isn't fool proof. Especially when the fool leaves the staff on the bank. You can ask Stana Claus about that. We walk into the Tellico after a hard day of fishing the upper reaches of North Citico creek (April 2011), which is pretty darn rugged and I, without my staff, manage to find the only flat, slick, rock in a gravel bottom stretch of the river. So I get a very wet, late afternoon wake up call which fills my chest waders full because I am under water, swimming with the fishes. Ooh, I hate when that happens. LOL! And my camera gets creamed for good measure. Luckily I didn't lose anything, but it was kind of embarrassing.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 AM

The fishing can be very good on Abrams and have heard that it is fishing better this year. The rocks are super slick with lots of 45 degree angle ledges. There is a short section of 1/4 to 1/2 mile you can fish downstream from the trailhead before the trail goes up and over the first of three ridges between the trailhead and the falls. As far as accessibility there are better streams like Little River and Tremont...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com