Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Unhappy Not quite skunked, but it still stunk

Sunday after trying to talk Freddie into doing the Big Horseshoe, then the little Horseshoe, he finally made enough sense to where we'll save that one for the Spring or while the water was a bit lower.

He named off a couple of Brookie streams, and made a plan to meet at the Waffle House to fill up for the day. Hit the trailhead at late morning and the sun was starting to warm everything up. It was a nice hike in, and little did I know at the time hiking would be about all I did

Beautiful day none the less, and the stream was at a perfect Spring level (not too high, but plenty of water)

Where originally I thought Smokies fishing was over after the huge snow storm Sandy left, I was pleasantly surprised to see a 50 degree temp on Twentymile last week, and with the moderate temps this week, thought I may have a chance for some slow but decent fishing.

Wrong! 45 was all we were getting out of this day
"It's all over Baby Blue" ran through my head, and I guess it's time to hit the tailwaters till the Spring.

We'll I didn't get skunked. I caught half a fish, or at least that's how I would count it. I foul hooked him, but this day that's all I was getting.

We fished a while more and Freddie had caught one, but it was obvious this day wasn't going to be producing, so we bailed out to head for some Brownies.

On the hike out, I busted my butt twice, and again kill my battenkill

No chasing Brownies today, I guess it's time to go home

On the way out I saw something that summed up my day

Still better than a day at work