Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Oh, there are some leviathans in there to be sure, and I have caught some of them over the years, but for me the atmosphere in which I fish is just about as important as the catch. I just want to engage in being out there. Every facet of my life is crowded with people and I am the type of person that is somewhat of a loner the crowds just set me on edge. Madison Boats mentioned getting a boat or some other watercraft...not gonna happen. I prefer to engage the river instead of riding down it. Those who fish mainly from boats can cover a lot of ground and can reach a lot of fish that would otherwise be unattainable, but it just doesn't do it for me. Am I a prude? Perhaps. But, just like everyone else, I have in my mind and perhaps in my spirit a vision of what angling should be and dodging big gobs of lead and night crawlers chucked by old ladies on the bank and standing twenty to thirty feet from the next angler is just not fun for me. If the average catch was on the level of the Soho or the Lower Nantahala, or the Arkansas...then I might have a different mindset, but to endure the Clinch in the hope that I might survive the circus long enough to catch a 14 inch rainbow...nah...I will pass.

Glad to see your six weight got the ride of its life.....
Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 AM

Right on brother.
The soho is awfully crowded now days too.

4X
Old 11-25-2012, 02:35 PM

Kinda got a little p.o.'d this past Friday myself and have decided to use my pontoon boat to avoid the crowds on the Clinch and also to avoid the potential for confronting rude inconsiderate fisherman. I was re-rigging my flyrod, sitting in my pontoon boat at he lower end of the "conga" line out in front of the canoe launch, when I looked up and saw 2 spinfishers move down below me and then upstream directly in front of me about 50 ft. I coudn't believe it and started to let them know what they had done, but my wife tells me I can be too blunt and a real a--hole at times, so I decided to take the highroad and just float down below them, when instead I wanted to put a hook in their hats. So, I am going to avoid the crowds, but next time ,should it happen again,I will educate the ignorant,,, cause as Woodrow Call said, "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it!"

Mike
Old 11-25-2012, 06:07 PM

Mike, is your pontoon yellow? If so, I was there when you put in and yes the conga line was full of rude anglers.

While I am thinking about it...what is up with the Church area? Nada, nothing, not even a rise anywhere on the river.

Told my wife last night that the only way I am going back to the Clinch is if absolutely every other option is blown out.

Soho is getting crowded as well....but I have yet to encounter the two things that stuck out to me on friday. 1) absolute abandonment of etiquette and 2) a higher quality of fish.

I am working on an essay I think I will shop around about the rapid and certain decline of the trout fishing on tailwaters. I think it is part money, part law enforcement (or lack thereof), part overpressured under protected.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:29 PM

V'Country - That was me in the pontoon. I don't know the church area too well, so I can't help you there. I think I'm going to start putting in at Miller's and work my way upstream to the shoals. I've been stuck in the Weir pool too long. Also, I'm going to start putting in some at Peach Orchard and work both up and down the river. There's just too many people fishing above the weir these days..Never fished the Soho, but would like to.
Your essay would be of "interest" to a lot of guys on this forum and you would get A LOT of additional input for sure.

Mike
Old 11-25-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g022271 View Post
Kinda got a little p.o.'d this past Friday myself and have decided to use my pontoon boat to avoid the crowds on the Clinch and also to avoid the potential for confronting rude inconsiderate fisherman. I was re-rigging my flyrod, sitting in my pontoon boat at he lower end of the "conga" line out in front of the canoe launch, when I looked up and saw 2 spinfishers move down below me and then upstream directly in front of me about 50 ft. I coudn't believe it and started to let them know what they had done, but my wife tells me I can be too blunt and a real a--hole at times, so I decided to take the highroad and just float down below them, when instead I wanted to put a hook in their hats. So, I am going to avoid the crowds, but next time ,should it happen again,I will educate the ignorant,,, cause as Woodrow Call said, "I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it!"

Mike
Yeah, I saw that crap go down.
I was a touch upstream of you with a chest-box on.
Was wondering if you were mad.
I got squeezed to death in the conga line earlier but waited most fisherman out but still a tough bite.

4X
Old 11-26-2012, 02:23 PM

The SoHo is crowded, but for some reason it doesn't feel crowded. I guess people are just more respectful of the space. In my circle of friends, a couple of them speak of the clinch as if it were the only game in town and if they fish another water, you'd think they were cheating on their wives. Perhaps I used to hold the river in high esteem, but not anymore. When your greatest risk is to be whacked in the back of the head by an elderly lady casting lead from the bank, you are in the wrong spot.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 AM

Mike

I think you would like the soho' it's a long ride though and as to fishing from the pontoon there's not much water most spots unless they are generating and then you would get washed down river. Mayve someone knows a good spot for you up there with the toon.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 AM

Mike,
Give me a shout if you want to fish with me from my boat one day. We can take your toon and you can utilize it for increased mobility if you want.

The Clinch has been dry fly fishing very well. My favorite type of fishing...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 11-28-2012, 10:37 PM

Soho bound fri. for a whole weekend of fishing.
TVA is working on the dam til late dec. and that guarantees a 350cfs flow for 24/7!
Perfect.
Hopefully I'll return with some nice pics/report to post (unless I accidentally get stuck in a refrigerator, bicycle rim, or cash register that litter the lower 2/3s of the river).

4X