Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 PM

Default Brookies in Shenandoah Nat Park Nov 9-11

Since moving to Richmond, I haven't done nearly as much fishing as I ought to. I dearly miss the Smokies and the surrounding wilderness. I haven't made any flyfishing friends here as of yet, and with the rigors of starting a new job I desperately needed a break, so I decided to do a solo 3 day trip on one of the few long backpacking loops in the Shenandoah National Park. Most of the snow from Sandy was gone, and despite the recent cold there was a warming trend so I was hoping for good results, though November has never been kind to me fishing-wise.
Friday morning I left early, and had Skyline drive to myself, not even a ranger at the entrance station. However the wildlife was out in force. I stopped counting deer at 30.

I saw several turkey, and then guess who was waiting for me at the parking lot?

Here is a view from the overlook. I'm always amazed at how far a person can walk. I traversed the entire ridgeline, and the far side of the talus covered peaks on the far right, and then another third of all that again not in the photo. Thats only 9 miles, but looks like a lot more.

The hike itself was beautiful, with great views of the Shenandoah valley and Masanutten in the background.

After getting to the valley floor and setting up camp, I started hunting for brookies. I had read that the lower part of this particular drainage gets scoured out a lot, so there isn't good cover for fish or insects, and fihsing is marginal. With the ice cold water, barely warming temps, and poor habitat, I had the expected results. Two fingerling brookies.

It started getting dark at 4:30, and by 5pm it was pitch black. By 6 I was done with dinner, my fire was burned out, and I was freezing cold. I decided to head to bed early, but since the sky was clear, and I had a surprisingly good view of the sky since the trees were bare, I watched the stars, unaware that the Taurids meteor shower was occurring and saw several shooting stars before dozing off. By 2am I was awake freezing to death I thought. Luckily the sun was up by 6am, and so I go an early start on the day. I was packed, moving, and had the next camp setup by 9am. I started fishing again and for the next 2 hours caught over 30 fingerling brookies. Better than yesterday... I guess. Not quite satisfying, then at noon my luck changed. A 7incher raced from teh bottom of a 3ft deep pool to smash the dry. After examing the pool, I realized every fish of any size was stacked in this pool, and probably every deep pool like it.

So now I knew what to look for. Every pool with depth I fished I got some sort of action.

This one pool was just above my campsite. When I first fished it, The fish hit the dry, but didnt take all the way. I fished on upstream, and came back and fished it again. This time I hooked into it, but this time it writhed and roiled all over the top....and shook itself off. ARRRG!

I went back to camp, pumped water, gathered wood, and came back again. Cast to the same spot, far side of the current, above the deep part and the over the darker bottom. I got a hit on the dry, and this time brought her in. It was an 8 1/2 inch female, who dropped 4 or 5 yellow pearls in my hand. I released her quickly, and just for kicks, cast into the pool again. The dry quickly slipped under, a take on the dropper. I set the hook and the water went nuts! There were two good sized fish in here and this is the other one I lost earlier. again he is death rolling on the water's surface, my 3 wt had a nice bend in it. I get him to hand, and snap a picture of one of the longest brookies I've caught yet, a full 9 3/4 inches.

I figured I'd release him as well to keep the couple together. All the brookies were very skinny, I guess due to recently spawning.
When I was making the last casts, I noticed a big rusty brown bat chasing my fly through the air. Luckily I didn't catch him. After releasing the male, I noticed the bats would swoop down low to the water and skim flies off the water's surface. I watched the bats skim flies from the water until it was nearly dark.

Back at camp, I got a fire started and prepared dinner. I brought along a backpacking grill I made from bicycle spokes and two aluminum tubes. Super light weight, and takes up no room at all.

Works like a charm.

I slept much better that night, the temps were much higher. Stayed up late reading Emerson, and watching the meteors. Even caught a glimpse of a fireball.
The nect morning I figured my trip was awesome enough already, and decided to head home early and spend the rest of Sunday with the boys.

So if anyone is ever up VA way and wants to do some fishing let me know! Whether its brookies in Shenandoah, smallies on the James, or I hope to pick up some saltwater fishing next year being so close to VA beach and Chesapeake Bay.

One last pic, this one is for Nathan, as many poor trout as he as eaten, this is the spirit of all those flame seared trout that will haunt him one day.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Default J.B. Thank You!!!

Very excellent post. Truly felt like I was there.

Thank You,
Breck
Old 11-12-2012, 09:50 PM

Great trip Jay,
I've got some property and a cabin in Bath Co. (SW VA) that has quite a bit of fishing around it (Jackson, bullpasture, cowpasture, upper james, etc.).
Not sure were you live up there, but, when I go, I'll holler.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM

I always enjoy your reports.
Hope you're having fun in VA.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 PM

Great post, The S.N.P. is great this time of the year If you get up to the northern end there are quit a few good streams.Harry Murray has a good book about fishing the drive.
Dennis
Old 11-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Very nice report! I live right near the state line in Southern VA so I feel ya on the trout fishing opportunities. I usually try to go up a couple times a year to the GW Nat'l Forest or the Jefferson. Other than that I head toward NC or TN. I do quite a bit of pond hopping around here for LMB and Bream though, and then we have the Striper runs in Spring. Again, I enjoyed your report.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:39 PM

JayB,

I would be interesting in talking with you about the Shenandoah area fly fishing trips. Would it be ok to talk with you off-line. My contact information is william dot mclemore01 @ gmail.com.

Thinking about visiting your area and would be interesting in talking with you about ideas for a week long trip.

Thannks Mac.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:39 PM

Smile Thanks for a great post

Somehow I missed it until now. Glad you still have some good options where you landed.

Nice little grill. Nathan was telling me about it on our overnighter on Forney. How much does it weigh? Someone mentioned I should get a grilliput, but at over a pound seemed crazy heavy for backcountry use. I asked Santa for this: http://www.rutalocura.com/Ti_Grills.html

And let me know if you get some free time in the Spring to hit the Smokies. I've got to make the trans-Smokies off-trail trip happen soon, and I only know of a handfull of fools, I mean brave souls who did that kind of stuff.

Be good, and keep the posts coming
Old 11-26-2012, 11:05 PM

Mac, email sent.

Ducky,
Let me know when and where, I'd love to do another off-trail trip.
That grill was only 2.50 oz, and cost me <$8. Not bad!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM

great post thanks for taking me back to the SNP for a little while

DD