Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 10-27-2012, 04:32 PM

Default Sharing.....

I just finished reading an article by a lady flytier regarding her latest creation. As always it is a wonder fly. She wrote how she was fishing on an Eastern river and was really into the fish but did not want to mention the fly by name so others would know what she was using. It seemed she was the only one catching fish. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I have always been willing to share information with my fellow anglers. In fact many times I have gave flies to others that I was using. I remember my first and only trip to Maine for Landlocked Salmon. On my first evening on the river I was not having much luck. A nearby angler was doing fairly well. As he left he came to me and took me to "his spot" and explained there was a good "run" there and even gave me several flies he was using. I was immediately into fish. His kindness impressed me and I have always remembered him and his kind act. I have likewise tried to display this generosity when on the stream. I have always liked to think fly fishermen were cut from a different cloth so to speak. As they say catching fish is only part of it....
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 AM

I agree with your points made, until I can show you the title to the river or the spot in the woods, I own none of these. I find these thru blind luck or the good fortune of having someone clue me in to these places in the river or the woods thru personal contact, fly shops (tip of the hat to LRO), or message boards like this. I have had good anglers show me spots and share flys with me and I try to do the same and encourage others to do the same. In this day of people's outdoor experence being the distance from the car to the store, I feel we should constantly encourage everyone especially young or new anglers to embrace the outdoors and fishing no matter what style. Only thru sharing the passion will the next group learn to respect and conserve not only the land but the sport. Enough talk lets go fishing!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trico View Post
I just finished reading an article by a lady flytier regarding her latest creation. As always it is a wonder fly. She wrote how she was fishing on an Eastern river and was really into the fish but did not want to mention the fly by name so others would know what she was using.
would this have been the woman who claims to have invented the Jailbird?

steve
Old 10-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Stonefly, your are correct ..... the fly is the Jailbird.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:39 PM

I've read something by her before - not surprised at your comments.

steve
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 PM

I grew up in a family that had to fish for food, 7 kids in LI NY, we always shared with other families our baits and catch's. As we all grew older and no longer fished for food but for fun we all stilled shared our good graces with those on the water. I fish now in many ways,fly,cast,spin,troll,spear, and whenever I can help out someone with less knowledge of where I'm fishing I do without thinking,be it the local knowledge a piece of plastic or a fly. This feels good , it feels right. karma ? Last june I was fishing Abrams creek and came upon a father and son trying fly fishing for the first time, I helped the kid to cast and set him up with a fly, he caught a fish ,this is what life is all about, I'm still high on that kids first fly caught fish
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 PM

Surfdog,

You my friend are a true gentleman!! I hope to meet you on a stream one day.

Thank You,

Breck
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM

breck , thanks for the kind words, I shared that because I feel a lot of the people on this blog would do the same thing. It's always a great feeling helping others,especially kids. Taking a few minutes to slow down and help others is always rewarding.I will get to fish/hike GSMNP june 14-21 this coming summer,maybe our paths will cross. Enjoying your posts, keep them going ,thats how I'm staying in touch with the park
Old 12-06-2012, 01:16 AM

I believe if you are a true sportsman, outdoors-man, or just a good person, if someone is struggling with something you should help them. In this case we are talking about fishing. Since I could walk I have been fishing (I'm only 22) but the few years that I have been around I have encountered many different fishing situations, and I believe that people that fly fish are the most willing to share information to other angler. As an avid musky angler I will tell you that many other musky anglers, bait shops, and even some guides (minus Ty Sennett who is the best musky guide on the Chippewa Flowage) are not willing to give up their "special spots and lures" they will just beat around the bush for a few minutes tell you to buy a generic lure that 1000 other people are throwing and send you on your way. But fly fishing is different, anywhere you go in the country you stop in a fly shop you will get any sort of information you need. Unfortunately, I have not been able to meet the majority of y'all who post on this forum but I was lucky enough to meet bigsur one afternoon on the clinch and it was great talking to him and talking fly fishing. Many others like MadisonBoats, fourx, corbo, and many others provide great information on the forum. I would like to meet some of y'all out on the water sometime, for the most part I fish on the clinch at millers island but when the generator are running and I have a little time I enjoy go to the Smoky Mountains to enjoy what God created. So if ya'll see a gold jeep with Illinois plates, some trout stickers and a big power T on the back feel free to say hello.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:05 PM

Joetroutman, I agree with what you are saying. Being an Ohioan and lacking quality trout streams, I started to pursue rivers in Tennessee that I had read or heard about from the experiences of others. My first trip to larger waters took me to the Hiwassee approximately 15 years ago; I can remember that trip like it was yesterday as we pulled into the Hiwassee Corner Market to purchase our license. As we were getting out of our vehicle, two gentleman where exiting the store and they noticed the plates on the car. Seeing we were from Ohio, one of the guys asked if it was our first time to fish the Hiwassee and we responded that it was. Without hesitation, this man started to give us some great information on areas to fish and what patterns to use. He said he was having great success that day using a “Red Ass” which he pulled out his fly box and handed each of us (3) one of these fly’s that he had tied and then wished us luck. That act of kindness spoke volumes to me, I felt that it truly defined the meaning of “southern hospitality”. We had a great day on the river thanks to this man, (I wish I had got his name) I have returned to the Hiwassee countless times since that day on account of his kindness and the success we had that day. Additionally, I have paid that act of kindness forward many times over to others I have met while on or off the water and through forums such as this. I consider fly fishing a “brotherhood”, we are all out on the river not to just catch fish, but to enjoy and preserve the environment that God has so richly blessed us with. There have been weekdays when I have ventured to the Hiwassee, I am standing in the middle of a river that is crystal clear with the fog slowly lifting from the water, I can see fish rising, an otter swimming while an Eagle or an Osprey is flying overhead and no one else is around; can it get any better? Catching fish is just a bonus.