Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 12-06-2012, 07:27 AM

Default Fishing is Great on the Hiwassee

My last two trips have been on one turbine and the best fishing for thirty minutes after it shuts down. Very slippery conditions and the felt with cleats cant be beat!!
Caught my largest rainbow 20"+.

If you go this weekend stop by the fly shop and see Dean reference the current bite. All I took to hand were on Hares Ear nymph in the deepest pools before the water fell.

Underwater pic.

Good Luck!!

Breck
Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 AM

Where's the pic of the toad. I haven't been able to fish,so I need a fix. Great report have'nt been to the Hi in a long time.
Lynn
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Great Question!! 2 ft. of water and ran right at me. Being a "Novice Blueliner" I failed to

expect therefore failed to strip fast enough before throwing my nymph. Rookie mistake!!

However, after a couple of minutes of dry heaving, I realized another chapter I had no

clue about when fishing tailwaters. I will never forget this fish as he looked at me and I at

him!! Back to the river again this Sunday!!

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Breck
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Well you got the best part of him. The fight. Every time I loose a large fish which seems to be more often than not it just kills me. Every time I blink I see the big one that got away. Better luck Sunday.
Lynn
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM

I drove down to Reliance Friday night, got up Saturday morning @ 8am, made some coffee and breakfast, filled my travel cup, jumped into car around 8:40 and headed over to the river. I was passing Big Bend about 8:55 saw one car parked there and did not see another up to Towee Shoals, so I turned around from that spot and parked downstream several hundred yards from the shoals where I decided to fish. I put my waders on and grabbed my gear, was about 9:10 when I started to wade out into the river. They were pulsing 1 generator from 7-8 AM, takes 1 hour for the water to reach the shoals so I knew at 9 it would start receding which it was doing. I started about 300 yards downstream of the shoals; I could see upstream past the shoals and well downstream and could not see another person on the water which was amazing. There was little surface activity, I saw a few caddis coming off the water, nothing chasing them, but I decided to tie on a size 16 caddis anyway and see if I could get something started. After about 20 or so casts and still not seeing any activity and no takers, I went to my nymph box and put on one of my favorite, a bead head flash back caddis on 6X tippet. I was casting up stream at a bias, mending it as it swung through the pool (no strike indicator) in front of me at on the second cast, got my first take, a healthy 11" rainbow. I stayed with that approach, caught one small rainbow and a chub so I started to moved up stream a little ways to another run I like to fish. As I got closer to the run, I noticed another fisherman about 100 yards above me working a streamer so I stopped where I was at and started fishing a nice run. A couple of casts into this run I had a bump that I missed, threw it back in the same spot and hooked and landed a nice 14" brown. I continued working this run for 30 mins, caught another small rainbow and then a nice 16" fish. I could now see a couple of other guys walking into the river downstream of me by a couple hundred yards. I noticed some surface activity starting, the fish were midging so I went to a griffiths gnat. I had one hook-up that I lost shortly into the battle and one other miss, then I heard the roar of the water coming through the shoals as they had the water back on so I started to pull back. I had promised the wife I would be back before noon to do some things around the cabin, so I thought this would be a great time to cut the morning short and hold up my end of the bargain so I could return a little later toward evening. If someone can guide me on how to post pictures, I will be glad to show the nice brown and rainbow I caught. Kinda new to this, not sure how to do it.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:53 PM

Flyman,

I will pass on to you as it was me.

Open a photobucket account. It's free. Download your pics to your computer from your

SD card.

Go to photo bucket and click create a new album, name it, open it and then click Upload pictures.

Hi-light the the pics you want downloaded. Click upload , start or finish at this stage.

Go to photobucket. Go to each picture and click on it. It will get larger. At this point go

to top left of the pic and drop downs will appear. Go to resize and click on the 1280 - 960.

Click the closest variation to the above size.

Now the fun part....right click in the center of the picture. Click on: Copy Address. In another window, open our forum. Click home, open the Subject area u want to make a post and click new thread.

Title your subject block, drop down to the block I'm typing in and put your comments. Then click the yellow icon above with the mountain. It will show http:. Delete it. Then right click your mouse where the http was and paste. Then enter.

Drop down below....click preview and u can then see your success. Go back to photo bucket, resize, right click then to our forum and repeat.

Hope this helps. Please let me know.

Post away my friend!!

Regards,

Breck
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks Breck for your help. Here is the 13" Brown that I landed.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:56 AM

here is the 16" rainbow