Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-10-2012, 06:08 PM

Default Opinions on Tenkara use in the park?

Santa has asked for help, so I placed an introductory Tenkara set on my list. Looking at a 11 ft. 5:5 action or a 12 ft. 6:4 action. Has anyone tried it in the park- above Elkmont or Abrahms my usual haunts? If so, How does your amount of useage over the summer compare to traditional flyfishing? Just looking for some feedback, w/o getting into a tenkara board. Randall
Old 12-10-2012, 06:53 PM

I fish the Park two or three times a year with my 11 ft 6/4 rod. It does very well. For the Little river I have used my 13 1/2ft rod. I have a buddy that fishes the Park all year long with his 13 ft rod, he prefers it over the shorter rod.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 PM

What percent of the time do you use tenkara compared to "regular" rod and reel?
Old 12-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Smile

I'm not tempted to try it. After a day with a cane pole, I realized how much of the hook set was from me pulling on line, not just with tip. Plus with every pool being different your total length of line would either be too long or too short. Think it would work much better in a Western Setting.

If I were tempted, I'd grab this deal though. Awesome price and $50 goes to TU
http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_in...roducts_id/109
Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
What percent of the time do you use tenkara compared to "regular" rod and reel?
I can't give you a % of use.
It depends on where I'm fishing. It is awesome for pocket water, you don't have to worry about your back cast or conflicting currents. For those you can just reach over them and drift your fly through them. I fish both drys and s/h's with it. When using s/h's you can work the fly like western fisher folks could never imagine.
I fished Cattaloochee last year and caught at least 30 in the are from the check in station to the second bridge. All on drys and fishing up stream.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:11 AM

duckypaddler- thanks for the heads up on the Tenkarausa. Planning on going back to work for USFS outside of Yellowstone in 2014, I have envisionments of possibly trying it on the headwater of Soda Butte and the Clarks Fork of the Yellowstone near my campground. I spent some time with a camper who had a tenkara rig but didn't bring it and wished he had. He raised my interest some concerning it.

narcodog- What type of line do you use- furled- mono or ? How long a line do you usually use in the park?

Anyone else ever give it a try and will to share their experiences.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:46 AM

In the Park I fish Slough Cree and the Firehole with it along with the Gibbon Meadows. On the Gibbon the long rod works so well. You can stand way back from the edge of the bank and target your fish with out them seeing you. I had a great day on it this past Sept.
On Slough in 2011 it was an awesome rod on the area at the CG. There is a section of pocket water and riffles that a western rod could not get to with ease. With the long rod I was able to float the fly right through the pocket or seam before the there was any drag. I caught trout after trout there.

For drys I use a furled line which I dress with 5X tippet. For s/h's and nymph's I use a level line of varying length. I prefer a size 4 tenkara line although for windy conditions I'll go to a 5. Now that is for the long rod and short.
On the short rod in tight conditions I'll use a size 3 line.

My line length on the furled is the length of the rod not including the tippet which is usually 3 ft.

Mono does not cast very well so all, or most, are flouro. Tippet is always mono. I use Frog Hair most of the time. Connected loop to loop.

There are some great write ups here, http://www.tenkarabum.com
Old 12-12-2012, 10:08 AM

I fish 99% Tenkara in the park and every where else. I use a 12' rod most of the time with a level line. It just works best for me. Best nymph rig I have ever fished 12' rod 8' of line and tippet.

Tom
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM

I get tickled every time I read about the infusion of this "new" technology to Park waters. I am old enough to remember mountain locals dressed in overalls and work boots armed with nothing more than a canvas shoulder bag and a cane pole.....the original high stick. I would watch them work the pockets and seams with wet and dry flies. These men were mostly fishing to put food on the table so they knew what worked and what didn't.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM

Memories! As a kid in SW Mich, I remember my dad going to the local hardware when a new batch of "cane poles" came in. He'd spend a good part of morning very methodically selecting a number of poles for himself and his boys. He used his casting rod for Northerns, his cane pole for Bass soaking night crawlers or minnows for Bass and a fly rod which only came out in the spring for bedding Bluegills. I remember he would hook and land a 30+ inch Northern once or twice a summer on the cane pole. We paid 25cents each for each pole. His cane poles were just as off limits to my brother and I as the casting rod. I got to use the fly rod every once and then. I've cut some cane in my son's back wood lot for Crappie fishing this spring.

A camper outside of YNP last summer caught my interest in Tenkara and I wanted some feedback outside of "dedicated" tenkara users on the other forums.

Rog1 hope to bump into you above Elkmont this spring, I'm taking off a summer from Wyoming. So will be in GSMNP more. Randall