Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM

Default 01-12-13 Sams Creek

Ok so for my first Smokies trip of 2013, I decided to hit up a brookie stream and decided on Sam's creek.

It was pretty warm on Saturday and and kinda sunny. When I finally reached the stream, it was great to see it again

I hiked up a little ways before I started fishing and I definitely felt like the water temp and level was very reminiscent of early spring

The fishing was a little slow at first, I was fishing a caddis larvae under a grey neversink and hooked some good sized brookies that I lost before i could bring them to hand. But all in all the strikes were a little far between. At one point I snagged and broke off my dropper so I replaced it with the go to brookie magnet - the pink weenie.

I was fishing in a pool where my flies were going to drift under some rhodo that reached all the way down to the level of the water. Before it could get snagged on the rhodo, I slowly retrieved my rig, causing the dropper to be dragged slowly upstream against the current - when I noticed something: A brookie chasing after it. Quickly I hooked up with this one:

I kept fishing and caught several more, like this little guy who attacked my dry:

And several more on the dropper

My best of the day

All in all I had about 20 to hand and lost about another 6 or so.

Not a bad way to start 2013 and in a January!

I was fishing with a new rod this time: A crystal river cheapo 8 piece 8' 4/5 weight i picked up from academy. I was interested in seeing how it work in the park since it breaks down so small and might be good for backpacking. I was really happy with its performance, esp since it was only $30.

Great day to be out in the park.

On my hike out, I passed some other people, one of whom said that he and his son had fished lower Tremont pretty hard and hadn't had much luck. I think it must have been a little tougher downstream.

In usual fashion, i fished the Tremont parking area until dusk, switching back to the caddis larvae dropper. I didn't have much except for a couple of slaps on the dry at first, but right towards the end, i hooked up with a pretty good sized rainbow. The tug at first made me think I was hung up on the bottom. Then, i managed to pull a hefty rainbow up out of the water, just as he shook and snapped the tippet... Sometimes the big finish on a day isn't the one you caught, but the one that makes you want to come back again and again
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 PM

Nice. Better luck than I had! I need to get some pink weenies. Never tried them, but I see them in the mouths of fish all over the internet. Did the ones you were using have beads?
Old 01-14-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL trout bum View Post
Nice. Better luck than I had! I need to get some pink weenies. Never tried them, but I see them in the mouths of fish all over the internet. Did the ones you were using have beads?
No I usually tie mine on Umpqua S-series 3X long 2X heavy size 14/12 streamer hooks with no extra weight and no bead (although I do keep a couple with a gold bead head) and an EXTRA long tail
Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 PM

great post. nice pics. I am coming up friday and may give sams a try.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:42 AM

Very nice...wish I had made the hike.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:00 PM

Smile

Great report, and what a great way to start the new year.

I think with the rain the day before it was indeed like early Spring. I think one of the many reasons you did so well was you were on a smaller stream. Bigger streams are hard enough to fish with many cross currents, etc., but with the water up it makes it even harder.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM

I need to try those pink weenies a little more too. I have just never tried them enough to build my confidence in them. Nice trip by the way, very nice!
Old 01-15-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
I need to try those pink weenies a little more too. I have just never tried them enough to build my confidence in them. Nice trip by the way, very nice!
While i admit that it takes a very confident man to wave his pink weenie out on the stream, such confidence if often rewarded with lots of fish
Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post
While i admit that it takes a very confident man to wave his pink weenie out on the stream, such confidence if often rewarded with lots of fish
I'm not sure if I would be able to fish with both you and DP at the same time. I think it might turn into barbie bug overload for me.... However, since you guys must be overflowing with confidence for the amount of pink flies you two fish, maybe you should get color matched rods and waders to complete the package...

Tight Lines,