Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-23-2013, 08:36 PM

Good to know that...I posted a link on my Facebook page. Hopefully it takes off.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kirk View Post
I leave Friday for the Kentuckiana Fly Fishing Show in Louisville where I am giving a seminar on fly fishing in the GSMNP. Between the highway washing out and the backcountry permits, it should be a lively time. If you need to see me there, I can be reached at the Bourbon Room of the Brown Hotel—just look for the haze of cigar smoke.
Don, I hope your seminar goes well. The "smokey haze" is a neat marketing angle. And don't forget to promote Ole Smoky Moonshine.

I had hoped to check out the show, but it didn't work out this time. It would be really interesting to know if the economy is making it tough for the good folks in KY, IN, OH, etc., to fish the park. In 2010, our products were selling well throughout the southeast US and the Ohio Valley area. KY and OH sales are way down, but not as much in other areas. Sales continue to be reasonably good in the Knoxville and north GA areas. Please let us know what is being said about any changes folks are having to make in terms of money for Smokies vacations, gas, fishing licences, etc, and... now... backcountry camping fees . Thanks, – JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 01-25-2013 at 12:19 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
And don't forget to promote Ole Smoky Moonshine.
Is this your venture?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:29 PM

JoeFred,
The economy here is not horrible. We're hit hard like the rest of the country is but I can pretty well say here in the Northern part of the state (south of Cincinnati) we probably fared a little better on average than a lot of areas in the country. That's not to say we're in great shape, just not as shaky as some areas I've seen and traveled through.

The fact I have a job is what's held me back the past 2 summers from doing much fishing in the mountains. I've been working 50-70 hours a week. Last year, I didn't even get to use up all my vacation days and had to "donate" a couple back to the company. Taking time off in the past couple summers has been impossible.

Not sure about the Louisville area but according to family down that way, I'm hearing it is about like around here.

Lexington area has held up pretty well from what I can see.

Can't make any comment about the South East or Western regions of the state.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2013, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL trout bum View Post
Is this your venture?
Uhhh... nope. Although my people came from Cocke County, I am not a moonshiner, nor do I play one on TV. But I must confess to having not missed a single episode of “Moonshiners” season 2. Hopefully some jobs have come from the venture, but with no harm to those who will cross the path of the excessive partakers of the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
The fact I have a job is what's held me back the past 2 summers from doing much fishing in the mountains. I've been working 50-70 hours a week. Last year, I didn't even get to use up all my vacation days and had to "donate" a couple back to the company. Taking time off in the past couple summers has been impossible.
Jeff, thanks for the feedback on your area. You really hit on a key point that I have shared with others numerous times, but inexcusably failed to mention in my post above. I suspect there are a growing number of folks like you that have to work more than on job to make it these days, which cuts into leisure time. With the precious few hours available to be at home, most anglers will want to be with family instead of on a stream, which, in my opinion, is a well placed priority. Hang in there. I believe better days await us.

– JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-06-2013 at 10:08 PM..
Old 01-25-2013, 11:05 AM

I really dont think that you will be seeing any rangers more often than you do now or have seen in the past in the backcountry. The one good of the fees applied would be if you have to pay at the time of reservation. This would help keep out folks that reserve the site in case they want to go but then latter decide to go elsewhere or not at all. It happens as much as folks staying in a reserved site without reservations.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM

I haven't seen the 2013 Great Smoky Mountains Association (GSMA) budget yet, but last year the non-profit organization funded putting “...two rangers and multiple special interns in the park’s backcountry.” The new personnel was to “enforce regulations, assist persons in distress, and educate hikers and horseback riders about low impact backcountry use.”

It will be interestng to see if the organization, of which I am a proud member, will need to subsidize the new fees program going forward. On its web site’s “GSMA Aid to the Park" page, it appears that this year GSMA plans to spend $28,000 for “2 Seasonal Backcountry Rangers” and about $5,000 for “Backcountry Support Intern.” In 2012, GSMA continued funding “staff for the park’s backcountry information and registration offices.”

Last edited by JoeFred; 01-25-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Default Park being sued

It looks like a group has sued the National Park Service in opposition of the backcountry fees established.

http://www.wate.com/story/21453852/g...in-the-smokies
Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 PM

Given the toxic climate in Washington these days and the Administration seeking the most visible and painful ways to cut the budgets, we're lucky the NPS didn't simply say "we don't have enough budget to employ resources necessary to ensure public safety; therefore, all back country areas are now closed."
Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM

Default The fallacy of

The fallacy of the "fees" has been in all that it was claimed they would provide in terms of "park support". It has been claimed that these fees would cure every ill related to the park, to the back country, etc....but all they do is supposedly cover the cost for the contractor to provide the reservation system. By the way a software design engineer had already offered to create and provide such a system for free to the "park service" and they rejected the offer. It really would appear that these fees are some sort of a trial balloon being floated to determine the climate and possibilty of floating others and lrager fees for admission or use of the "park". Much has been said and many accusations have been thrown at the folks who oppose these fees, but the facts speak for themselves. The info obtained by "Freedom of Information Act" requests is eye-opening to say the least and appaling as well. the information can be viewed in the media sections of "Got Smokies" and / or "Southern Forest Watch".

"www.southernforestwatch.com"

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton