Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Troutfest

Old 01-28-2013, 01:13 PM

Default Possible Topic for Wilderness Wildlife Week: Little River Monsters

With the goals of keeping attention on fishing the Smokies, TU membership outreach, etc., while Troutfest is taking a break, we are going to apply to be a presenter and exhibitor at Wilderness Wildlife Week in Pigeon Forge in January 2014. Playing on Jeremy Wade's popular Animal Planet show title, I was thinking about relating stories about some of the leviathan browns taken in Little River over the years and up to the present.

As you can see from the thread “So Kudzu is Wildlife...” the fish themselves aren't getting much attention.

Your thoughts please? Thanks – JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 01-30-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Old 01-29-2013, 01:13 PM

Default A Honey Hole Free Zone Seminar

I should have pointed out that the talk would center mostly on the catch, and considerably less on the catching. The name of angler would be shared, but only with his/her permission. I would totally avoid mentioning the fly and gear used. As to location, that would be narrowed down only to the range of some maps I have laying around. Anyone who would be willing to contribute to the content are invited to contact me at fredturner@saintclairmapping.com. Please hold the details until I determine if this is a go or not, at which time I will get back in contact. Thanks! – JF

PS. Paula, please pardon my double post.

Last edited by JoeFred; 01-29-2013 at 01:29 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 PM

I think this is a good idea but I would guess that it would be hard to he folks to open up. Not because they don't to share but can you imagine the amount of pressure on these fish it would create. Just my 2cents.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:06 AM

No Hackle, you and others offline, make a good point. Thanks.

Another approach to the topic covering the park in general, not just prime brown waters, and with no specific recent catches might go something like this:

Game Fish of the Smokies - Cigar Size to Creek Monsters
  • Where did they come from?
  • Where are they now? (Pitch guide services, books, maps, fly shops, GSMNP web site)
  • How long were they once? (From well documented catches, pre- and post-logging era accounts)
  • How long are they now? (Cite GSMNP info, and pitch following LRO message board)
  • How long (play on words) do you want them? (pitch Trout Unlimited programs and membership)

Last edited by JoeFred; 01-30-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM

Maybe if they included not just the trout but maybe the helbenders etc. or maybe not just concentrate on the park but the Little river to Ft. loudon. Heck I once caught a Pacu near Coulters. Maybe get people aware of possible invasive species also.
Lynn
Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 AM

Oh, yeah, Lynn. I like that idea. It could be made to be both informative and entertaining.

You should consider posting your pacu catch on he great thread “Strangest Thing You've Ever Caught” begun by Grampus (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=13313). Recalling it and, among others, Carolina Boy's love seat/recliner, may day's safe and flyman's 71 Ford LTD station-wagon, I wasn't sure if your cacth was the dreaded omnivor or an entire post-anesthesia care unit staff.

I will definitely consider the Little River to Ft Loudon coverage. Thanks. – JF
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 AM

I caught that thing about 10 years ago. I didnt get any pics. I bet it weighed 2lbs. My buddy had caught one just up river the year before or I would'nt have known what the thing was. It's bones are probley still on the bank though.LOL. It's gonna screw up some archaologist in 500 years I bet.
Lynn
Old 04-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Some other opportunities have come our way. Thanks to all for contributing.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 AM

Arrow Fly Fishing Day at New Le Conte Center in Pigeon Forge

It is not intended to take the place of Troutfest by any means, but SCM is pleased to have been invited to participate in "Fly Fishing Day" during Wilderness Wildlife Week January 2014 in Pigeon Forge. Please see Don Kirk's post announcing the event. The event will be held at the new spacious Le Conte Center scheduled to open this September. PDF of Facilites rendering by SRA Architects, Inc.