Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 02-02-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post

Glad to hear you like the 105MM Micro Nikkor. That is one I'm looking at. I need a decent flash and a Micro lens. The 18-55 can focus pretty close, about 8-9" and is "near" macro but it isn't really a macro lens. I had a pretty sweet Nikor Nikor Micro lens back in the 80s (pretty sure it was about 100MM and somewhere around F2.8 or so, maybe even faster, had a huge piece of glass in the front) but sold it a long time ago fo fund some other projects.
Jeff
Here are close focus shots of a Hi-Viz Rusty Spinner using my 24-85mm at the 85 mm end and the 105 mm Micro Nikkor. Both were shot using the on-camera flash at f16. The only issue I have with the 105 is that at close focus, it has a tendency to hunt. It's a little annoying, but you can fix that by using the AF Lock or by going to manual focus.

Let me know what you think.

Pat
Old 02-02-2013, 12:40 PM

Pat,
wow, I really like the photo with the macro lens, very sharp and the difference between the prime lens and the macro is stunning.

Guess I know what's on my wish list now.

Once I get a flash and a macro lens, (and a remote) I should be pretty well finished setting up my kit. With Photoshop and other photo editing software, I think a lot of the stuff I used to do with various filters is pretty much done post processing these days.

OK, I know, photography is like fly fishing. I thought I was done after my second fly rod, and then after my 5th fly rod, I thought I was done, and after my 8th fly reel, I thought I was done....

Jeff
Old 02-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Great pictures! I believe I would have tried to hit that beautiful water up.
Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.
Madison,
Thanks!

I started taking photos of the ducks and geese after about an hour fishing with nothing to show for it.

The stream and lake are warm water (bass, bluegill, crappie) and the surface temp in the lake was upper 30's and in the stream it was low 40's.

But yes, the stream and lake both are beautiful water and surrender a lot of fish to the fly in spring and summer.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post

OK, I know, photography is like fly fishing. I thought I was done after my second fly rod, and then after my 5th fly rod, I thought I was done, and after my 8th fly reel, I thought I was done....

Jeff
...and then there's woodworking and bass fishing and hunting and shooting and who knows what else. I have several collections of various hobby paraphernalia that get more dust than use. I guess I'm just making sure I have plenty to keep me occupied in my retirement years (though they are a few years off). One doesn't want to get bored! And if you're going to do something, you might as well have all you need to do it right. Any way, that's my story... and I'm sticking to it!

Tight lines and happy snaps!

Pat
Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bfishin View Post
...and then there's woodworking and bass fishing and hunting and shooting and who knows what else. I have several collections of various hobby paraphernalia that get more dust than use. I guess I'm just making sure I have plenty to keep me occupied in my retirement years (though they are a few years off). One doesn't want to get bored! And if you're going to do something, you might as well have all you need to do it right. Any way, that's my story... and I'm sticking to it!

Tight lines and happy snaps!

Pat
Let's not even talk about how many guitars I own. In fact, I'm not even sure my loving wife knows how many guitars I own (and I hope to keep it that way). Fortunately, she really doesn't care as long as I'm not spending grocery money. I'll probably be "retired" from work in the next year or two assuming they offer me the right package. Then, I'll have to be a little more frugal in what I buy, but until then, I'm collecting my toys.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2013, 11:25 PM

Very nice pics.

I too have a Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm, and it is a nice lens. i really need to get it out more, as I tend to leave it at home because of its size. I used to carry my compact D40 on every fishing trip, but when I stepped up to a midlevel DSLR and better glass the whole kit was a bit too heavy to lug around the river all day.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-03-2013, 08:17 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2bfishin View Post
Here are close focus shots of a Hi-Viz Rusty Spinner using my 24-85mm at the 85 mm end and the 105 mm Micro Nikkor. Both were shot using the on-camera flash at f16. The only issue I have with the 105 is that at close focus, it has a tendency to hunt. It's a little annoying, but you can fix that by using the AF Lock or by going to manual focus.

Let me know what you think.

Pat
Pat,
Nice job and information on the Macro photos.

Some techniques that I have found useful are:
  • -Build a shadow box out of a an old cardboard box, some old white t- shirts. You can search on the net for ideas. Or; you can buy one if you plan on taking many shots like flies and items of detail.
  • -Also; try to get a non-reflective background. Hobby lobby has many different colors of adhesive backed colors and materials. I think they are around $1 a sheet. So; you could by a couple different colors/material variations to see what works best for your setup.

Thanks for your information and tips. I appreciate camera help from others and enjoy learning about different setups.
SM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 AM

Shawn,

You're right about the non-reflective background, especially if you are trying to isolate your target, but in this case it was more a quick way of showing the difference between the lenses.

For anyone interested in learning more about macro photography, including use of flash, I recommend checking out the following sites:

www.nikonusa.com and click on the "Learn & Explore" tab and then Macro;
www.photomacrography.net and check out their forums, and
www.nikonians.org (lots of different forums).

I'm amazed at the amount of information that's out there!

Tight Lines and Happy Snaps!

Pat